Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 16,029 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm hoping to get some advice on my current situation. I relocated again over a year ago due to an incredible job opportunity/promotion for my wife. She's actually relocated us twice because of job opportunities. With regards to our marriage, we are both very supportive and happy where we are financially; however, every time we have moved I have felt like I've had to hit the reset button on my career. Before I can get into any sort of supervisory role we've moved. I'm now in my 30's and am starting to feel panicked of making any wrong moves. I feel that if I want to advance my career there is not much more time to do so. I know that this is an extreme view, and really need some help getting out of my head.

The issue is that I looked for a great deal of time after relocating and finally gave up and took a job at a call center. I've been there for about a year now and have done exceptionally well at my role according to all of my supervisors. Even the CEO has taken notice. I'm currently their best employee on the phones according to their statistics. Be that as it may, it is hard to take pleasure that I am doing well at metrics and everything else they are monitoring because I'm really embarrassed that this is my job. Whenever anyone asks what I do I lie and say that I work in IT/work with computers. It eats me up watching people's faces when I tell them I am a customer service representative. My bachelor's is in IT, but I've yet to use it after these moves. I've tried to enter the field, thought about getting some additional certifications, even thought about maybe moving toward some sort of help desk/IT support role since I'm already trained now on phone calls.

I guess my dilemma is should I not overlook the notice that I've gotten at my current place of employment? I've received several merit based raises and they've come to me asking to go into detail how I do my job so well. I just can't shake off this feeling of sadness that this is my life. The only thing that helps me keep my chin up is knowing that at least I am not unemployed. How can I better formulate some sort of five year plan? What steps should I be taking now? And how do I stay motivated in my current role and not feel so depressed in the meantime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 01:38 PM

37 posts, read 43,058 times
Your "help desk/IT support" idea is good, try as hard a you can to get that moving (as you said, get some certifications, courses, etc.)

In any case don't stay complacent or you may start resenting your wife for "ruining your career".

While some people would say there's nothing to be ashamed for a middle-aged white male to work on a call center, I'm 100 % with you on feeling a bit embarrassed and hiding your current job to friends and acquaintances. I'm gonna be a jerk here: that kind of job is for a recent brown immigrant, or a women who is planning to be a housewife and is just waiting for her wedding day or ultimately a student working his/her way in university.

Sorry if I am being too harsh.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:40 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Hi,
I've done the same thing as your wife- we've relocated at least 3 times for my career leaving my husband to basically start over similar to you. Thankfully he has been supportive and it was always the best financial decision for us to make as my career is much more lucrative than his - he also works in IT.

I can understand the frustration with your job. Depending on what area of the country you are in you might be able to at least start off with some contract work (usually 6-12 month jobs) and get more experience that way to get out of the call center. And while not the best, you would be automatically ready for a help desk job (which is also call center related) with the IT degree; but i would suggest at least getting your A+ cert too. I worked in a call center as my first job and hated it- i would never do it again.. I would do whatever you can to get out of that environment. You're obviously not happy and with an IT degree you could certainly make more.

You should start by looking at what IT jobs are available in your area (or WFH) and see what experience/certifications you need. If you can afford to do so financially, consider taking some time off to get the certifications and see if you can get your foot in the door. The degree though should certainly help.

Try to keep positive- your current employer obviously likes you and you're doing a great job! That's something to be proud of

Old 10-23-2015, 01:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
I definitely wouldn't overlook all the recognition you are getting at work. No, it might not be a high end job, but a lot of the skills you pick up on in jobs like that transfer well into other positions. Employers love people who have good customer service and communication skills. Also, if you get awards and raises and such at your job, it looks good to future potential employers. If you have to continue working the job, make the best of it!

That being said, definitely look for some more IT based positions if that's what you want to do. There are a lot of companies that do work-from-home IT support (Apple is one - it's not easy to get on with them, but they do have some IT based positions. Yes, it's still basically "call center", but you can't go wrong having Apple on a resume and they're a pretty good company to work for as far as benefits and such). Also check with recruiters and agencies in your area. I see a lot of contract and temporary IT positions available.

And I wouldn't be ashamed to tell people I work in a call center. If anyone tries to shame you or make you feel bad for that, they aren't a good friend anyway.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 10-23-2015, 02:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
"Employed" is the new "promoted."

Be glad you have a job, and keep doing well. Practice an answer that makes you comfortable in public, and don't project your own self-doubt onto others. If you're truly confident in what you're doing, the reaction of other people won't matter.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
You are a sales engineering consultant helping confidential end-user customers solve problems with sensitive products with global implications; possessing experience in various markets across multiple locations in the United States.

Edit: and if you have the metrics you can say how much of the growth in sales is thanks to you

Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXL7 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm hoping to get some advice on my current situation. I relocated again over a year ago due to an incredible job opportunity/promotion for my wife. She's actually relocated us twice because of job opportunities. With regards to our marriage, we are both very supportive and happy where we are financially; however, every time we have moved I have felt like I've had to hit the reset button on my career. Before I can get into any sort of supervisory role we've moved. I'm now in my 30's and am starting to feel panicked of making any wrong moves. I feel that if I want to advance my career there is not much more time to do so. I know that this is an extreme view, and really need some help getting out of my head.

The issue is that I looked for a great deal of time after relocating and finally gave up and took a job at a call center. I've been there for about a year now and have done exceptionally well at my role according to all of my supervisors. Even the CEO has taken notice. I'm currently their best employee on the phones according to their statistics. Be that as it may, it is hard to take pleasure that I am doing well at metrics and everything else they are monitoring because I'm really embarrassed that this is my job. Whenever anyone asks what I do I lie and say that I work in IT/work with computers. It eats me up watching people's faces when I tell them I am a customer service representative. My bachelor's is in IT, but I've yet to use it after these moves. I've tried to enter the field, thought about getting some additional certifications, even thought about maybe moving toward some sort of help desk/IT support role since I'm already trained now on phone calls.

I guess my dilemma is should I not overlook the notice that I've gotten at my current place of employment? I've received several merit based raises and they've come to me asking to go into detail how I do my job so well. I just can't shake off this feeling of sadness that this is my life. The only thing that helps me keep my chin up is knowing that at least I am not unemployed. How can I better formulate some sort of five year plan? What steps should I be taking now? And how do I stay motivated in my current role and not feel so depressed in the meantime?
I think you should speak with your wife and share your feelings with her. Ideally, she'll recognize and appreciate the sacrifices that you've made for her, if she hasn't already. I'm not saying to guilt her. I'm not saying to begrudge her the opportunities she's had. But I am saying she should acknowledge how it has affected you.

Also, is it possible to take turns career-wise? Could she possibly step back for a year or two while you build your career?

You're currently underemployed and that is definitely depressing. I don't have specific suggestions except to choose a target job, get the training and/or certs and keep looking for a better job.

I'd also suggest that you take care of yourself. Go to the gym. Join an amateur sports team if that's your thing. Have fun.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackoverflow View Post
Your "help desk/IT support" idea is good, try as hard a you can to get that moving (as you said, get some certifications, courses, etc.)

In any case don't stay complacent or you may start resenting your wife for "ruining your career".

While some people would say there's nothing to be ashamed for a middle-aged white male to work on a call center, I'm 100 % with you on feeling a bit embarrassed and hiding your current job to friends and acquaintances. I'm gonna be a jerk here: that kind of job is for a recent brown immigrant, or a women who is planning to be a housewife and is just waiting for her wedding day or ultimately a student working his/her way in university.

Sorry if I am being too harsh.
You aren't being too harsh at all. I agree with your statements. Studying for my A+ certification might be a nice distraction. I haven't pursued it at this time because I felt that my 4 year degree in IT was sufficient. I also did not want to risk watching it expire and put it to no use. How many certifications should I be accruing at this time? Stop at A+ or continue on to network/security?

Old 10-23-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
Hi,
I've done the same thing as your wife- we've relocated at least 3 times for my career leaving my husband to basically start over similar to you. Thankfully he has been supportive and it was always the best financial decision for us to make as my career is much more lucrative than his - he also works in IT.

I can understand the frustration with your job. Depending on what area of the country you are in you might be able to at least start off with some contract work (usually 6-12 month jobs) and get more experience that way to get out of the call center. And while not the best, you would be automatically ready for a help desk job (which is also call center related) with the IT degree; but i would suggest at least getting your A+ cert too. I worked in a call center as my first job and hated it- i would never do it again.. I would do whatever you can to get out of that environment. You're obviously not happy and with an IT degree you could certainly make more.

You should start by looking at what IT jobs are available in your area (or WFH) and see what experience/certifications you need. If you can afford to do so financially, consider taking some time off to get the certifications and see if you can get your foot in the door. The degree though should certainly help.

Try to keep positive- your current employer obviously likes you and you're doing a great job! That's something to be proud of
Great ideas. I'm going to keep my eye for what certifications keep showing up as a requirement in job postings. My wife is very supportive of me and as a unit we are solid. I couldn't be prouder of her and where she is at in her career. She always credits me with her success as I've continued to advice her at each step and advancement. The stress that I am feeling has nothing to do with resentment, but more of a desire to contribute more toward our common goals.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I definitely wouldn't overlook all the recognition you are getting at work. No, it might not be a high end job, but a lot of the skills you pick up on in jobs like that transfer well into other positions. Employers love people who have good customer service and communication skills. Also, if you get awards and raises and such at your job, it looks good to future potential employers. If you have to continue working the job, make the best of it!

That being said, definitely look for some more IT based positions if that's what you want to do. There are a lot of companies that do work-from-home IT support (Apple is one - it's not easy to get on with them, but they do have some IT based positions. Yes, it's still basically "call center", but you can't go wrong having Apple on a resume and they're a pretty good company to work for as far as benefits and such). Also check with recruiters and agencies in your area. I see a lot of contract and temporary IT positions available.

And I wouldn't be ashamed to tell people I work in a call center. If anyone tries to shame you or make you feel bad for that, they aren't a good friend anyway.

I wish you the best of luck!
I've read a lot online that employers see customer service as a good skill, but I'm having a hard time buying that. I'll certainly continue to do well at my current role. It isn't a challenge really. I feel as though there will only be lateral moves available in the next few years and that really won't help me in the long run at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment