Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM

299 posts, read 439,795 times

Advertisements

I'm in a dilemma. I'm in a part-time MSW program (first semester), working part-time making really ****ty money ($12/ hr). Fortunately, my parents and boyfriend are able to support me and I'm leading a pretty un-stressful life. I just received a job-offer for 35k, full-time, with benefits.
Right now I'm living and going to school in a state where cost of living is pretty low, so 35k a year can go pretty far. But, I also majored in Psychology, and from what I hear, it's pretty much impossible to make good money with out a masters degree. I'm feeling really confused. Should I take the offer and see where life takes me, or should I finish my MSW, get licensed, and hopefully make around 40-50k when I finish? Or is this salary expectation I have unrealistic for an MSW? I know social workers don't make good money, especially in child-welfare, but that isn't the field i'm drawn to. I am more interested in macro-level work. Is this three-year masters program really worth it?
Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
I can only answer based on my nephew's experience. He got his MSW and just got licensed as an LCSW after completing the required number of supervised hours. He can now have his own practice, bill insurance (or decide to not even take insurance, if he goes that route), etc. Along the way, he has built a clientele (specializes in at-risk adolescents) and a referral base. He is happy as a clam and feels it was totally worth it. He LOVES being a social worker, BTW, so I'd imagine that's more than half the battle. He does have a fair amount of student loan debt, so any way you can find to reduce the cost of that MSW, go for it!

I am a nurse practitioner and I always tell him that social workers are the most resourceful people on the planet. No matter what question I ask/text him, he has a solution for me.

Think about what you really want to do, what your goals are, and go for it if you think the MSW will get you to your goal. If you decide you don't want or need the MSW, then don't do it. You can always go back for it later. Good luck, no matter what path you choose!

Old 11-01-2015, 05:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Both.

You don't have to go to school full time to get a masters.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:08 PM

299 posts, read 439,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Both.

You don't have to go to school full time to get a masters.
Thanks I am actually going to school part-time already. But, even with the part time schedule, I am still taking 3 classes a semester and a 16 hour field placement practicum. My work schedule would be 9-6... so I would basically have to give up my life for three years. Working 9-6 5x a week, then 8-5 Sat. and Sun. or work some overnight shift.

When would I have time to do school-work?! Even with the part-time program, it seems it's more geared towards part-time workers, or those who have VERY flexible work schedules. This would be a new job. I want to impress my employer, not always be extremely tired, or always have to leave early for class... if that makes sense.

I wish this wasn't such a hard decision! Money isn't a huge factor for me, my parents can keep supporting me. But I also want to try and continue to be independent, but if I can leave this masters at 24 years old (I just turned 22) and make more than 35k, would it be worth it?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:27 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
...I would basically have to give up my life for three years...
Is it possible to drop down to fewer classes per semester?

Also - no matter how long it takes (3,4,5 years) - ask yourself this - if you DON'T finish the program, where will you be 3, 4, or 5 years from now anyways?

(I went back for my Masters in Systems Engineering, after being in the workforce as an Engineer for 12 years at that point. That was one of the things I asked myself; if I DIDN'T follow through with it, where would I be in two years? So - I went through with it, had basically two years of no life besides work and school, but was very glad when I had finished everything.)

Old 11-01-2015, 06:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Is it really possible to make $40k-$50k in social work, even with a Master's? Most people don't go into social work for the money as figuring out how to help disadvantaged people is not a priority in the U.S. - as you know.

Be sure you know exactly what this degree will COST you, and what you can realistically EARN with it. Of course, if you don't mind paying off a lot of debt very slowly with a low-paying job while you do good in the world, that's totally fine. Oh....I just read that your parents will keep supporting you - so you have a pair of "social workers" helping you out as we speak - by all means then, proceed.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
I've had an MSW and LISW for 25 years. I have been under-employed since 2009 due to many budget cuts and the elimination of many jobs. Much of our role in the medical and mental health field has gone to R.N.s, L.P.N.s, or BSWs.
I have tried the private practice arena a few times and it is very hard to get client referrals and build up a practice. The LISW, or LCSW depending on your state, comes only after about 2 years of supervised clinical practice.
I relocated back to an urban area in 2012 to try for a full-time job and have never been able to get one. My age and multiple lay-offs during the recession don't help any.
My area is saturated with MSWs due to 3 university programs that crank out the MSW, BSW, and the ASW degreed person.
I've had some great jobs over the years and I chose the MSW as it, at the time, seemed to be the most marketable degree where I could work in the mental health or medical fields. I have not been able to make a decent living with it at all and have absolutely nothing to show for all my years of living on low wages. The last place I worked I was poorer than my poorest client. No house, nice car, pension, savings of any kind.
I've never made more than 49K and that was in the 1990s working in home health and dialysis, before Medicare, Medicaid, and insurance cuts. those programs all hire part-time or contract MSWs now to save every dime.
I would never recommend anyone go into this field. The low pay, high stress, competition for jobs, elimination of programs, and total lack of appreciation in most settings for what social workers can do are major reasons to run.
I am at the peak of my career, have the highest level of license and experience, and I am working in a grocery store because I cannot for the life of me get hired anywhere. Been trying for any job the last 6 months. Been trying for a full-time job for going on 7 years. And this in a multi-state region.
Go to the social worker forums on Indeed.com and you will gain a lot of insight into why so many are disillusioned and leaving the field.
If you persist in going this route I'd recommend that you pursue an MSN. With that you can get the RN license and do psychotherapy, become a nurse practitioner, or specialize in many areas of nursing. They are doing the MSW roles now and making much more than any of us MSWs ever did.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post

I would basically have to give up my life for three years.
Yep.

It doesn't have to be "either/or."

You just are too comfortable right now, with so many others paying for everything you do, to understand that this is not that difficult. People have done this for decades. You do school work on the weekends or late at night.

You grind for 3 years but then you have the masters for the rest of your life. To me, it's a no-brainer.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:40 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Don't waste your money on a Masters in Social Work. You've been warned!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Don't waste your money on a Masters in Social Work.
...or your parent's money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment