Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I'm in a dilemma. I'm in a part-time MSW program (first semester), working part-time making really ****ty money ($12/ hr). Fortunately, my parents and boyfriend are able to support me and I'm leading a pretty un-stressful life. I just received a job-offer for 35k, full-time, with benefits.
Right now I'm living and going to school in a state where cost of living is pretty low, so 35k a year can go pretty far. But, I also majored in Psychology, and from what I hear, it's pretty much impossible to make good money with out a masters degree. I'm feeling really confused. Should I take the offer and see where life takes me, or should I finish my MSW, get licensed, and hopefully make around 40-50k when I finish? Or is this salary expectation I have unrealistic for an MSW? I know social workers don't make good money, especially in child-welfare, but that isn't the field i'm drawn to. I am more interested in macro-level work. Is this three-year masters program really worth it?
Help!
I can only give you my personal experience, and I live in a part of the country with a strong job market overall. I know a lot of MSW's and they have no problems finding jobs, and they are making way more than 35K. They work with elderly people though, not children. However, our schools hire social workers and those are very good jobs with excellent benefits. Hopefully you are very close to finishing the MSW - job markets can change quickly. I'd probably stay and finish, unless the 35K job was something that could lead to a lot more money in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,804,532 times
There will be plenty of people with a BA in Psych or many other concentrations making a lot more than you will with an MSW so like others said, don't do it for the $ because you can make more with much less education and will likely have a better work environment. That's the big thing I hear. Say to day, the work environment of most MSW's is poor.

But hey, I'm not you and aren't in your shoes so do what you think is best for you. In general though, it's not the best decision for most. And the opportunity cost is too high. I'd take those 3 yrs and enroll in a different program, or take the job and pursue a different Masters degree part time.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
You really need to get some experience, and at $12/hr currently, can't be too picky.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,498,459 times
It sounds like you only want the masters degree because it might result in a higher entry level salary. I know a few MSW's and they did not pursue the degree because for a salary -- they did it because they had a passion for helping others. They all work low-paid jobs that can be extremely difficult and demanding, but they love the work. From reading your posts, it does not sound like this is what's driving you.

35K in an average COL area with a degree and no experience sounds about right. I honestly don't know where these high salary expectations from recent grads comes from. No one's going to pay you 60K coming fresh out of college without knowing what you have to offer. If you work hard and look for opportunities, your salary will increase over the years. But you need to start somewhere.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,573,484 times
If you want to do macro work, if not an MSN, then an MBA. Never an MSW. I know of many situations where just an RN, 2 year degree only, is doing macro work.
I've been in this game for a long time and the scene is changing rapidly. More and more for profit business entities are taking over medical and mental health agencies, clinics, hospitals, etc.
The name of the game is ''profit or die''. An MSW will NOT compete with an MBA or MSN/RN for any of these ''macro roles''.
I went to a job interview the other day for a senior residential facility. It is ''property managed'' by a private company now and they wanted a ''service coordinator'' for 150 residents. The job description did not mention ''social worker'' or any particular degree as a requirement. The company set it's own standards low standards in order to hire the cheapest applicant. The job description was like a zillion other social work jobs I've seen and had, but they don't have to hire someone with education and experience.
This trend is growing and the jobs are being transitioned away from us more and more.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:22 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,804,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If you want to do macro work, if not an MSN, then an MBA. Never an MSW. I know of many situations where just an RN, 2 year degree only, is doing macro work.
I've been in this game for a long time and the scene is changing rapidly. More and more for profit business entities are taking over medical and mental health agencies, clinics, hospitals, etc.
The name of the game is ''profit or die''. An MSW will NOT compete with an MBA or MSN/RN for any of these ''macro roles''.
I went to a job interview the other day for a senior residential facility. It is ''property managed'' by a private company now and they wanted a ''service coordinator'' for 150 residents. The job description did not mention ''social worker'' or any particular degree as a requirement. The company set it's own standards low standards in order to hire the cheapest applicant. The job description was like a zillion other social work jobs I've seen and had, but they don't have to hire someone with education and experience.
This trend is growing and the jobs are being transitioned away from us more and more.
I’d listen to FeelinLow.

You’re willing to invest 3 yrs worth of education. You already have an undergrad in Psych so presumably, you’ve taken some classes that are applicable towards other clinical programs. I’d take whatever other classes else I needed to sit for the RN exam. That route will very likely take a heck of a lot less time than an MSW, earn you more $ now and in the future, and provide you a better professional outlook all around.

That’s just one example, IMO, there are better places than an MSW to invest 3 years of education.

Best of luck.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,770,327 times
Is the $35 K job in the field you want to work in? Or related enough to count towards building a resume in social work? There is no reason you can't take the job and continue school part time, by the way.

I have a Master's in Social Work and it's one of the best fields I could have chosen. I'm making very decent money and have all the flexibility in the world. Unless the field itself is a bad fit for you, or the program you're in is no good -- lousy instructors, lousy internships -- I would stick with it.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM

8,247 posts, read 3,502,315 times
Around here it's very hard to even get an entry level job to get experience, so having that job would be more valuable right now.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,770,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm not sure what "macro-level work" is, but my wife is an MSW and 40-50k does seem unrealistic for a young MSW, especially if you're in a state with a low cost of living to begin with. But you never know. You could land a posh public school job or something.
Hospital social work pays a lot more; so does any sort of state job. But, yeah, macro (administrative, policymaking, etc.) pays a lot more than clinical.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,711,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Hospital social work pays a lot more; so does any sort of state job. But, yeah, macro (administrative, policymaking, etc.) pays a lot more than clinical.

Hospice and Geriatric t social work, in my experience pay the most.
In regard to te OP's question I am going to highly reccomend you consider giving up things for the next few years to finish up school...whether money or learning is the main factor in your higher education, the way it looks on your resume and the experience you will gain in your foeld placements far outweigh the Psychology degree. Agencies will see your placement and know you have experience. In my opinion, your placements will be the most valuable experiece you can gain. However, you want to make sure that this is where your heart is. Talk to some people in your program, friends, family about it. If your heart isn't there wait and take this job.

I am saying this as an LMSW who did a 3 year 8 semester program from 2010 until 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment