Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,888,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I wish this wasn't such a hard decision! Money isn't a huge factor for me, my parents can keep supporting me. But I also want to try and continue to be independent, but if I can leave this masters at 24 years old (I just turned 22) and make more than 35k, would it be worth it?
Well it sounds like this isn't a purely monetary decision (and certainly that's not what you are interested in given the psychology / social work choice of educational focus), but think about the monetary aspect this way:

Let's say you worked for 2 years, made 35K / year, saved all of it after paying ~25% in taxes. You'd have about $52.5K in cash. If you are at a state program (the math changes significantly if you are going private, for obvious reason), you'd have ~$30K in debt or less help for other things from your parents. If you could get 5% investing that money / would pay 5% on any debt, that's worth about $4k/year.

So -- the question then becomes, can the masters get you a salary that is ~$4k/year higher than you would get otherwise? Well, that depends -- are you going to try to do social work without the masters, or would you do something else otherwise. If the former, I'd defer to people in the field but would guess the answer is yes. If the latter, really depends on what your alternative is but most likely no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:42 PM

299 posts, read 440,721 times
Thanks everyone.(: I appreciate the advice.

I have heard many mixed opinions about social work and particularly the MSW. I figured I would ask on here, as I often research city-data for advice.

My personal passion is not in direct-practice. It's in macro-level work and the university that I am attending has internships and a concentration in macro-practice. I think the university and the MSW could get me some very good connections and could really boost my resume. That being said, it is a risk... I don't want to get out of this in three years and not have a job, or only be offered jobs that pays 35k, or less, but I guess that's a risk I'm going to have to take.

I am very fortunate to have my parents and boyfriend helping me, but like I said, I do have a desire to be independent, which is why I'm considering taking this job opportunity. I really appreciate those who work hard and those who are able to balance a 50 hour work week with a 16 hour practicum and three classes, but I also don't really have a huge desire to work 7 days a week, not getting home until 8, or 9 p.m. (I have a pretty long commute to school as well). I just can't see when I would have time to study??

Maybe I'm just not motivated enough to do it all, I don't know. But many student that i've talked to said that if you have the possibility to work part-time, DO IT.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Is it possible to drop down to fewer classes per semester?

Also - no matter how long it takes (3,4,5 years) - ask yourself this - if you DON'T finish the program, where will you be 3, 4, or 5 years from now anyways?

(I went back for my Masters in Systems Engineering, after being in the workforce as an Engineer for 12 years at that point. That was one of the things I asked myself; if I DIDN'T follow through with it, where would I be in two years? So - I went through with it, had basically two years of no life besides work and school, but was very glad when I had finished everything.)
Good point I think it would definitely be worth it. I just don't know if my MSW program would be able to work with the full-time work schedule, as there is a 16 hour practicum involved. The job would be M-F 8-6p.m. :/ so it's not a very flexible position. Taking it and doing the MSW program would also limit me very much with the types of internships I would be able to take. I could only do weekend internships, meaning I would be limited to hospital settings, or call-center environments, both of which I have no interest in.

I'm just trying to see if the investment of a masters is worth it in the long-run.

I know a masters isn't ALWAYS necessary, but in undergrad I heard you can't go very far with just a Psychology B.A., which is what I have right now.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yep.

It doesn't have to be "either/or."

You just are too comfortable right now, with so many others paying for everything you do, to understand that this is not that difficult. People have done this for decades. You do school work on the weekends or late at night.

You grind for 3 years but then you have the masters for the rest of your life. To me, it's a no-brainer.
I really appreciate the advice, and honesty thank you.

It's not that I'm not willing to work hard, or that I'm too comfortable... I realize that I'm fortunate that I have others who are willing to support me through my education. Not many are that lucky...it's that i'm not sure it's possible, or worth it to really do both and that's why I'm seeking advice. If I work M-F 9-6 p.m. (like this salaried position requires) and don't get home until 7:45 p.m. every night, that would really limit me to doing weekend internships that I'm not particularly interested in. The program told us that weekend internships are usually call-centers, suicide hotlines, or night case management shifts, etc.

I personally have very little desire to work in these environments. To do both, I would be working full-days 7 days a week. I'm just trying to understand if that is really worth the three letters at the end of my name. I also want to do well at work (as it would be a new position) and in my internships, if I'm working 7X a week, will I be too exhausted to do my best?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Well it sounds like this isn't a purely monetary decision (and certainly that's not what you are interested in given the psychology / social work choice of educational focus), but think about the monetary aspect this way:

Let's say you worked for 2 years, made 35K / year, saved all of it after paying ~25% in taxes. You'd have about $52.5K in cash. If you are at a state program (the math changes significantly if you are going private, for obvious reason), you'd have ~$30K in debt or less help for other things from your parents. If you could get 5% investing that money / would pay 5% on any debt, that's worth about $4k/year.

So -- the question then becomes, can the masters get you a salary that is ~$4k/year higher than you would get otherwise? Well, that depends -- are you going to try to do social work without the masters, or would you do something else otherwise. If the former, I'd defer to people in the field but would guess the answer is yes. If the latter, really depends on what your alternative is but most likely no.
Good question. I recently talked to a social-service agency manager with her MSW from the same university I'm attending who works in the city where I'm living and she makes 70k a year. Medical social workers make about 55k a year, but you do need case-management experience and a license to do so. So, I definitely can make more than 35k with this masters, but I do also think it's possible to work my way up from this 35k job and make more... it just depends, many people say they reach a point in their careers (social services) where they realize they need the masters to make more.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 PM

908 posts, read 962,351 times
if you really want to become a social worker, you DO need a MSW at the minimum. i think people with MSW can be paid well if they go into administration or policy. if you're a case manager, most likely you'll never make more than $50K, but with an MSW you can do a lot more in the field. i recently left my long term career to get an entry level position in social work and dropped my salary by $13K a year but it's something i've always wanted to do and i find it rewarding and interesting.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:11 AM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Is it possible to drop down to fewer classes per semester?

Also - no matter how long it takes (3,4,5 years) - ask yourself this - if you DON'T finish the program, where will you be 3, 4, or 5 years from now anyways?

(I went back for my Masters in Systems Engineering, after being in the workforce as an Engineer for 12 years at that point. That was one of the things I asked myself; if I DIDN'T follow through with it, where would I be in two years? So - I went through with it, had basically two years of no life besides work and school, but was very glad when I had finished everything.)

Check with your Master's program. After some time, credits no longer apply/they want you to re-write you plan, etc Do what a friend of mine did, who recently got a PhD in Physical Therapy. He simply went in and told them what his goals were---he had a family to support and no intentions of giving up his current job. What could he do to obtain the PhD while working? They made all sorts of accommodations for him. Its your life, don't let someone else write the ticket for you. My advice, do both. Get the job and string out the Master's id necessary one class at a time. Good Luck

Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 AM

8,095 posts, read 7,464,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I'm feeling really confused. Should I take the offer and see where life takes me, or should I finish my MSW, get licensed, and hopefully make around 40-50k when I finish? Or is this salary expectation I have unrealistic for an MSW? I know social workers don't make good money, especially in child-welfare, but that isn't the field i'm drawn to. I am more interested in macro-level work. Is this three-year masters program really worth it?
Help!
I'm not sure what "macro-level work" is, but my wife is an MSW and 40-50k does seem unrealistic for a young MSW, especially if you're in a state with a low cost of living to begin with. But you never know. You could land a posh public school job or something.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM

850 posts, read 903,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is it really possible to make $40k-$50k in social work, even with a Master's? Most people don't go into social work for the money as figuring out how to help disadvantaged people is not a priority in the U.S. - as you know.

Be sure you know exactly what this degree will COST you, and what you can realistically EARN with it. Of course, if you don't mind paying off a lot of debt very slowly with a low-paying job while you do good in the world, that's totally fine. Oh....I just read that your parents will keep supporting you - so you have a pair of "social workers" helping you out as we speak - by all means then, proceed.
I agree with this. If you really like being a social worker it would be worth getting the masters but don't do because of money because there isn't much to be made in the social work profession.
In my county in metro Atlanta Social Workers start out making 40k a year with a masters in social work and experience in that profession required.

My suggestion if you are getting funding for your masters I would go for it but if you are going to be borrowing student loans don't do until you have money saved to fund the masters. You don't won't to get in 30-40k student loan debt for a masters and come out making 40k a year.
With that said I would accept the 35k job with benefits and work it for a couple of years and see if your salary increases a significant amount. If the job has potential for advancement or proportional salary increases it would be a great starter job.

Don't go in debt gambling on another degree if the potential earnings aren't worth it. After two years of working that job and reviving zero raises then I would seek the masters in social work. I graduated with my bachelors in chemistry and I didn't receive a grant or stipend for a masters in chemistry so I decided to enter the workforce and I started off in a temp to hire associate chemist position paying $17 an hour that became permanent recently and the starting annual salary I am making now is 45k.

I work besides associate and analytical chemists with masters in chemistry who started off making nearly identical to what I am making. They felt like getting their masters was a waste of time and my case it would of been a waste of money too because it defiantly wasn't worth me racking up debt for a masters degree that wasn't going to give me any better job prospects with just my bachelors.

OP, What is the job title of this position you were offered by the way? I am curious.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 898,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If you persist in going this route I'd recommend that you pursue an MSN. With that you can get the RN license and do psychotherapy, become a nurse practitioner, or specialize in many areas of nursing. They are doing the MSW roles now and making much more than any of us MSWs ever did.
This appears to be very good advice. You will have the advantage of two different ways to diversify...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment