Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do young people today major in economically useless subjects?
ignorance about the bubble 36 21.05%
too lazy to do engineering/accounting/nursing 46 26.90%
other (comment) 89 52.05%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times

Advertisements

Are you actually going to read the replies? Or is this the C-D equivalent of right-wing talk radio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 01:31 AM

297 posts, read 277,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd like to know who exactly has been saying this.

Are these people stoned or something?
i would say that from the 80s and early 90s, this viewpoint does make sense if supply of college degrees laborers were not so high. With exception of engineering and nursing, you don't really need a degree in a specific field for a job. Most jobs are learned on the job anyways. However, with everyone going to college these days , it is no longer the case. Even if not in a specific skill, employers want applicants with things like math or stats, something that indicate ability to do logical thinking and analyzing.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
i would say that from the 80s and early 90s, this viewpoint does make sense if supply of college degrees laborers were not so high. With exception of engineering and nursing, you don't really need a degree in a specific field for a job. Most jobs are learned on the job anyways. However, with everyone going to college these days , it is no longer the case. Even if not in a specific skill, employers want applicants with things like math or stats, something that indicate ability to do logical thinking and analyzing.

Yes I heard something similar to this when I was in high school/ first entering college. That aside from the specialized areas, the area of degree does not really matter as much as GETTING a degree, because the employer would be willing to train, entry level etc... I fully blame myself for such naive thinking, however lesson learned, I am working now and as much as I want, I cannot change the past.

College me thought: entry level means actual entry level not 2-3 years of previous experience and we prefer graduates with a degree in X , college me thought Admin assistant, clerical assistant type work was the bottom of the totem pole, where you build your way up and hence the barriers to entry would not be as bad- that is usually not the case.

As I said in my earlier post I don't think that many people who majored in economically useless subjects did it because of out and out laziness and just wanted to "coast for 4 years".

Rather they believe /believed:

1)Subject matter of degree does not matter that much because the employer will be willing to train as long as I graduate with a degree.

2) Family, older friend has a "useless" degree and is working a good job so if he/she could do it, then I can do it.

3) Truly are passionate about the "useless" subject but is unaware of hard it is to find work in that useless subject. Do I need to go to grad school to actually get a job, just how competitive is finding a job in X area with a Bachelors

Old 11-14-2015, 01:26 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
I was in high school in the 1980s. Even back then, it was widely understood that engineering and science degrees were more marketable than most other kinds of degrees.

If someone attending college said they were majoring in something like english or political science, then they would get the proverbial rolling of the eyes.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
I drilled it into my daughter to major in something she likes and also work while in school to get experience and references in that field so she graduates with relevant experience ie not waitressing.

She's glad those AP classes she took in HS were accepted and she ended up saving a few thousand dollars worth of tuition.

Earning $10/hr in her free time is a help also.

Parents need to groom their children to be able to support themselves after college instead of living under the same roof and staying on the family cell phone plan.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
We all can't be accountants, nurses and engineers.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
We all can't be accountants, nurses and engineers.
No, somebody has to run the companies. The accountant's boss will be a CFO who majored in economics and then got an MBA. The nurse's boss will be a doctor who got an undergraduate degree in biology. The engineer's boss will be a physicist.

We need all kinds of people.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, somebody has to run the companies. The accountant's boss will be a CFO who majored in economics and then got an MBA. The nurse's boss will be a doctor who got an undergraduate degree in biology. The engineer's boss will be a physicist.

We need all kinds of people.
The engineer's boss is not a physicist. Engineers work in industry, physicists work in academia.

Also, who said the CFO majored in econ? Since he is the boss of the accountant, it is most likely he started as an accountant and worked his way up.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:00 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
The engineer's boss is not a physicist. Engineers work in industry, physicists work in academia.

Also, who said the CFO majored in econ? Since he is the boss of the accountant, it is most likely he started as an accountant and worked his way up.
I was giving three examples from my personal experience. They are not intended to be fully representative, but you knew that.

Accounting firms are run by accountants but corporations that employ accountants usually are not.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I was giving three examples from my personal experience. They are not intended to be fully representative, but you knew that.

Accounting firms are run by accountants but corporations that employ accountants usually are not.
what i meant was that those that are high up in management often started off at the bottom as accountants, and thus majored in accounting. How else would they have made the jump between accountants (who "run the company") to high up in the ladder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment