Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:19 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times

Advertisements

You're done there and you have a new job. Move on, nothing good will come of this conversation and I strongly urge you to be mindful of not just your words but your mannerisms and body language if your new boss asks your opinion on the old boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:34 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
They already know, and it isn't causing enough pain to jump through the hoops required to do anything about it.

Mouth shut++

Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
If the exit interview gets to asking you probing questions, as though purposefully inviting you to speak your mind about your previous situation, here is what I would say

"I know what you are asking. And I have pondered this. The fact is that I have nothing to gain by saying anything negative about my former supervisor, management or other employees. YOU , however, on behalf of the company, you and upper management could probably benefit from scrutinizing the situation in ABC office regarding XYZ duties and how they are carried out."

No names, no specifics. Invite scrutiny.

A carefully, thoughtfully worded comment referring to scrutiny of how duties are carried out will put a whole lot more eyeballs on the problem people than some emotional tirade!! Because -- and think this through -- they won't know if you're talking about embezzlement, overt harassment or other big time problems.

Do not elaborate, even if they really probe.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
If you already have another job lined up, I don't think it is such a terrible thing to mention in an exit interview... so long as the problems are real and other people could probably observe them... if they aren't experiencing them themselves.

With that being said, if the only thing you care about is the pros and cons of your own future, then it probably is best to keep your mouth shut. But if you feel the problems were significant enough that you felt the need to seek employment elsewhere, I would be honest in an exit interview with HR.

I also think mockingbird gave good advice and that's a good way to go as well.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I agree with the above. Keep in mind companies refuse to give applicants honest feedback so you don't owe companies honest feedback at the exit interview.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
I say f*** the whole thing, be unemployed

People are rats, want to be treated like rats

Management knows this

What else can I put here?
There was one guy on here who would brag all the time about living comfortably off of SSDI checks. He would spend money on women's clothes, bicycles, and gaming computers.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
If the exit interview gets to asking you probing questions, as though purposefully inviting you to speak your mind about your previous situation, here is what I would say

"I know what you are asking. And I have pondered this. The fact is that I have nothing to gain by saying anything negative about my former supervisor, management or other employees. YOU , however, on behalf of the company, you and upper management could probably benefit from scrutinizing the situation in ABC office regarding XYZ duties and how they are carried out."

No names, no specifics. Invite scrutiny.

A carefully, thoughtfully worded comment referring to scrutiny of how duties are carried out will put a whole lot more eyeballs on the problem people than some emotional tirade!! Because -- and think this through -- they won't know if you're talking about embezzlement, overt harassment or other big time problems.

Do not elaborate, even if they really probe.
If you feel the need to say something this is perfect!!!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
Do what everybody does. Say he was wonderful, and leave it up to the next person who takes your place.

p.s. HR already knows-that's why he's a manager. It sticks but that's the way it works.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
company made him manager for a reason... if you dont like him, it isnt personal.... company intended to work that way and is using him to do it...

next manager would be the same if that is how they want to go, if it isnt manager will be fired..

you have a problem with the company fit and not individuals in it

Old 11-19-2015, 06:03 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Don't be selfish and CYA. They need to know that s/he is causing the company good people. That's an extreme reason to leave a job and I would work into the conversation that you aknowledge this but that the problems were that bad.

Your idea of not "naming names" but implying is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment