Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,828,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hi,

I am wondering - what are the dangers of stating you are quitting your job (in this case, I gave a two-week notice) because of your manager?

Thoughts??
I once quit a job halfway through the day. My "trainer" was an alcoholic, totally jerk attitude and ripped me for every error I made. Took it for 4 hours, then went to the boss said "I'm leaving" he says "Well, you're number 15 for this year"

I was stunned, they KNEW this guy is like this and then cry they can't get good workers? They kept him only because he'd work 12 hour shifts daily....

I later went back in a different area, saw the guy a few times, didn't say squat to him and later heard he got nailed for a fifth DUI and left the state....Never felt bad leaving in this case. Not a damn bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 PM

439 posts, read 519,880 times
Thank you for this interesting feedback. I actually feel much better now that I have started my new job.

I had some interesting thought though - since manager also was an hourly employee (I mean, paid hourly) There really is no impetus for him to keep competent workers around...before they hired me, he was working lots of overtime. I imagine since I gave a two-week notice, he will again have to work overtime, earn lots more $. I guess it is not really my problem - but they should really change it to yearly salary. That way , there isn't as much reward for being a crappy manager. I mean, in a way he wants people to quit...It's very expensive where I live, and his hourly is not that much (really), so it is almost necessity to work overtime.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 PM

439 posts, read 519,880 times
The more I think about it - the more I think it has less to do with me and more to do with MONEY.

The cost of living is very high where I live (like $2,000/month apartment). I can afford it because I have a roommate situation..his hourly wage is not really enough to live on to get ahead in life, and he probably counts on overtime...that means he has to be constantly short staffed though...Call me conspiracy theory , but I think that he would rather be short staffed and work overtime and make more money.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:00 AM

1,109 posts, read 901,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
The more I think about it - the more I think it has less to do with me and more to do with MONEY.

The cost of living is very high where I live (like $2,000/month apartment). I can afford it because I have a roommate situation..his hourly wage is not really enough to live on to get ahead in life, and he probably counts on overtime...that means he has to be constantly short staffed though...Call me conspiracy theory , but I think that he would rather be short staffed and work overtime and make more money.

If you wanted to be semi evil, you could mention to your district manager that your old company would benefit from changing the job to salaried. It is true and it would be positive for the company, but negative to your former boss. Say nothing about him being a jerk, etc. They undoubtedly know this.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:57 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,094,817 times
One of our employees stated in her exit interview that her supervisor was the reason she was leaving the company, and explained why.

Upper management placed a black mark next to her name and basically stated: "We are so fortunate to have that negative person out of our firm!"

Old 11-20-2015, 05:32 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,923,583 times
We've all, at one time or another, had the desire to unload when leaving a job, telling them exactly how we feel and why we are leaving. I have actually done it a couple of times, and have to admit it felt good. However, in the final analysis, it really did no good. The people who were horrible still stayed there, and all that happened was that I was no longer there.

Now, I take the high road most times. I am changing jobs right now, and gave my two weeks notice a while ago. Instead of venting my frustrations, I simply said " My leaving has nothing to do with this store, I simply want to try a different challenge at this point in my life." I went on to tell them how well I had been treated (and I had, they took good care of me personally) and I thanked them for all that they did for me.

I feel better about not burning any bridges, and they told me if things don't work out they will always create a spot for me. Much better that way than getting a few minutes of satisfaction by unloading.

Don

Old 11-20-2015, 06:41 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,014,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I once quit a job halfway through the day. My "trainer" was an alcoholic, totally jerk attitude and ripped me for every error I made. Took it for 4 hours, then went to the boss said "I'm leaving" he says "Well, you're number 15 for this year"

I was stunned, they KNEW this guy is like this and then cry they can't get good workers? They kept him only because he'd work 12 hour shifts daily....

I later went back in a different area, saw the guy a few times, didn't say squat to him and later heard he got nailed for a fifth DUI and left the state....Never felt bad leaving in this case. Not a damn bit.

#15 for the year?? amazing how a company can just standby while a lousy manager runs 15 (probably good) employees off and for the hills. Makes no sense at all. Turnover rates are expensive

Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,709,660 times
Every single time I have quit, started a job search, or just threatened to quit, the proximate cause has been the director or manager I reported to.

Working for a Fortune 500 corporation, they at one point fired both my director and manager and moved over management from another area; the new management was so bad that all but two people in the department quit within 6 months of one another. Still the company never fired the toxic manager nor the director.

I don't understand how a company can watch employee after employee quit, many citing the manager as being the direct cause of their leaving, and never do anything about it.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,024,210 times
Heck no! Lie your way to a new job. Say the usual, "Looking for a new opportunity," "Would like a better salary, schedule, more travel, less travel, more benefits, etc. . . "

Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM

780 posts, read 681,456 times
I say it depends. It depends on your position with the company. I suggest if you're going to rant about stuff, make sure you were "somebody" in the company to a point in which your thoughts and opinions actually matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment