Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a gender preference for your Boss?
Gal - I prefer Female Bosses 24 7.00%
Gal - I prefer Male Bosses 103 30.03%
Gal - No preference 41 11.95%
Guy - I prefer Female Bosses 22 6.41%
Guy - I prefer Male Bosses 122 35.57%
Guy - No preference 31 9.04%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,950 times

Advertisements

Again, furthermore...everyone make generalizations based on a repetitive set of experiences.Anyone who denies this is lying. Marketing and advertising is based on "generalizations." Everyone knows that women treat other women differently from the way they would treat men. Men treat other men differently from the way men would treat women. This is high school Psych 101. It may not be fair but that's the way it is. If someone is miserable working for women then such person has every right to seek a job where that situation would not be repeated. Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I, by the way, absolutely despise working for other women. Of course I won't mention this at any workplace. I'll just take the job offer where I know the boss is male. "Sue me...." LOL

Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,506 times
I've had both several times in my life and I honestly can say I prefer male. I'm not going to get into details as I don't care to start a fight here. Lets just say males are rational and can be reasoned with.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Where I work answering this question could be considered grounds for dismissal. Sex discrimination in hiring is illegal, and a preference for working with or having a boss of one sex or the other is just as bad. It's an unfair generalization (prejudice). We did have a co-worker "counseled"
after she told a manager in a meeting that she preferred working
with men.
I have to disagree. People need and have the right to vent SOMEWHERE, especially if they've been the victim of a sucky boss (of whatever gender)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Again, furthermore...everyone make generalizations based on a repetitive set of experiences.Anyone who denies this is lying. Marketing and advertising is based on "generalizations." Everyone knows that women treat other women differently from the way they would treat men. Men treat other men differently from the way men would treat women. This is high school Psych 101. It may not be fair but that's the way it is. If someone is miserable working for women then such person has every right to seek a job where that situation would not be repeated. Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
I've read the entire thread and I don't see where anybody is making gross generalizations. We are simply posting our experiences which have led us to feel as we do towards bosses of both genders.

Also, maybe you aren't aware that while we do have the right to seek employment elsewhere there aren't very many alternatives at the moment. That expression you used needs to be placed on moratorium until the economy reverts back to the way it was. Telling people to just go someplace else in THIS economy is just plain mean and naive IMO.

And even if one WERE lucky enough to find another job, they could end up with a boss even worse then the last one. Nobody can predict the type of boss they are going to end up with.

Mystique: I agree totally with your entire post. Well said.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
If I had to have a boss, I would simply like one that didn't have his or her head up his or her arse, in plain English.

Seriously. I've had some great bosses who had excellent experience in the industry and had great time and people management skills, two male, two female. Then I had a spate of incompetent bosses who not only were not up on their fields, but who micromanaged, changed rules mid-project, failed to communicate (either by stupidity or design), were threatened by talent superior to theirs, or were just plain unpleasant, two male, one female. Three strikes, and that was it. I got so sick of that nonsense I went into business for myself.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I have to disagree. People need and have the right to vent SOMEWHERE, especially if they've been the victim of a sucky boss (of whatever gender)
Absolutely. That's why I mentioned the 1st Amendment. Most people I know, and I can't speak for anyone else, are not going to discuss this issue at work or with co-workers for fear of being overheard or that the listener might turn out to be a snitch.

Quote:
Also, maybe you aren't aware that while we do have the right to seek employment elsewhere there aren't very many alternatives at the moment. That expression you used needs to be placed on moratorium until the economy reverts back to the way it was. Telling people to just go someplace else in THIS economy is just plain mean and naive IMO.
And even if one WERE lucky enough to find another job, they could end up with a boss even worse then the last one. Nobody can predict the type of boss they are going to end up with.
I never said to "go someplace else" in this economy. I said to "seek employment". ..obviously to look for while employed, not to quit. Of course nobody can predict the kind of boss one will have at one interview or during several. Sometimes there are red flags, however.If someone is rude, intrusive or asks illegal questions. If someone is moody, continuously picks up the cell phone at an interview, or berates a candidate in a passive aggressive way.If an employee interrupts an interview for something, and the interviewer yells/blows up at the employee in front of the candidate. These are just some red flags.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I agree and I also knew someone would get their knickers all in a bunch over this thread. It's almost like thou shalt not speak ill about your boss preference. Get real.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Absolutely. That's why I mentioned the 1st Amendment. Most people I know, and I can't speak for anyone else, are not going to discuss this issue at work or with co-workers for fear of being overheard or that the listener might turn out to be a snitch.

I never said to "go someplace else" in this economy. I said to "seek employment". ..obviously to look for while employed, not to quit. Of course nobody can predict the kind of boss one will have at one interview or during several. Sometimes there are red flags, however.If someone is rude, intrusive or asks illegal questions. If someone is moody, continuously picks up the cell phone at an interview, or berates a candidate in a passive aggressive way.If an employee interrupts an interview for something, and the interviewer yells/blows up at the employee in front of the candidate. These are just some red flags.
Sorry. Mystique, I misunderstood and got a little carried away there emotionally lol

It's just this subject touches a sore nerve with me.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
I don't know about bosses but I do know that males make for much better pets than do females.

Pets as in a dog or cat just in case someone had the desire to take my comment and run with it in the wrong direction.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM

677 posts, read 933,811 times
As a woman I absolutely prefer a man. Sorry ladies but I know my kind. Women boss's can be vindictive, petty, jealous, mean spirited, too emotional, & moody. And God forbid if she's "man-less", now add bitterness into play. Nope, don't want a woman boss anymore than I want a woman president. I like the easy going of a man's spirit, most are calm & rational where as women are unpredictable. Guess that's why it's wise to limit your female friends as well, it's less drama.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,949 times
Men hands down. I've had had less problems with male bosses over the years than females.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment