Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a gender preference for your Boss?
Gal - I prefer Female Bosses 24 7.00%
Gal - I prefer Male Bosses 103 30.03%
Gal - No preference 41 11.95%
Guy - I prefer Female Bosses 22 6.41%
Guy - I prefer Male Bosses 122 35.57%
Guy - No preference 31 9.04%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times

Advertisements

I prefer someone with a backbone in their shirt, and could care less about the junk in their pants.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I last worked for someone else about 25 years ago. Since that time, I've been self employed.

However, my wife works in a government organization and has told me repeatedly that she'd vastly prefer to work for a male boss if she had a choice. I'm not sure I can add much new to what has already been written. She says something like this:

1. Generally speaking, women bosses are mean, spiteful and petty.
2. Generally speaking, they focus on details that often have little to with the overall job. However, they will use details to try and prove that employees are not doing their job or doing it as well as they should.

3. It is a mistake to confide any material about your personal life to a woman boss. She has seen situations where this was later revealed to others or used against her.
4. Generally speaking, they are micro-managers. Instead of letting employees do the job that they were hired to do, they insist on trying to tell them how to do virtually every aspect of it.
5. Generally speaking, "they play favorites" more than men do. Instead of being judged on your skills, you are invariably judged on whether the boss likes you or not.
6. Generally speaking, the make huge assumptions about employees. They will frequently blame employees because that employee's thoughts and perceptions were different than their thoughts and perceptions. My wife refers to this as a belief that you should be able to "read their minds".
7. They show a high level of insecurity about the job. They often compensate by spending outlandish sums of money on fancy clothing and jewelry and expensive hairstyling.
8. They insist on having fancy technology which is often just a show piece. My wife speaks of women supervisors who carry around IPADs that they never use, but would become unspeakably angry if someone tried to take those things away from them.
9. They exhibit jealousy regularly. My wife has encountered divorced supervisors who she felt were angry at her because she seemed to be happily married. Another supervisor seemed angry that our children were doing well in school, working, and were in good health. As a result, my wife talks less and less about her personal life while at work.
10. They often cancel appointments at the last minute and frequently call in sick. She only brings this up because she would swear on the Bible that their frequency of doing this is greater than male supervisors she has worked with.
I have personally experienced #1, #2, and #5 with female supervisors. If you work for a woman who just doesn't like you (for petty reasons), she'll do everything in her power to make you look incompetent. You also get the dirty looks, the mean spirited gossip about you, and the whispering in the corner of the room. I'm a guy, and I'll go ahead and admit that I hate working for women.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
my answer will probably be construed as being sexist but its how i feel. i prefer a male boss, male bosses can be jerks or can be great luck of the draw but i find female bosses in my experience and the couple ive had always feel like they need to prove something, like they need to be a bit more stern to be taken seriously, etc. im not blaming them heck its probably society and mens actions that have caused them to need to be that way but none the less i find they are that way and i dont like it.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:41 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I prefer someone with a backbone in their shirt, and could care less about the junk in their pants.
This.

Although, in my experience, I have yet to see a woman boss who isn't catty at least intermittently. As a woman, this makes me sad, and I'd like to "be the change" (don't gag, bear with me). I was recently surprised as even a highly-liked female VP made some very off-color and rude remarks about those under her - and this was in the presence of the board, CEO and others. Completely changed my opinion of her.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:07 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Male here. Had two GREAT male bosses, one good female boss, one bad female one, and one female boss from hell. Sorry female bosses, but it's not my fault you cant find a man/stuck in a bad marriage/have badas kids. I'm sorry I'm also happily married and cannot help you. One of the bad ones was over 40 and single...we knew whether we were going to have a good week or a bad week depending on how her dates went over the weekend. Moderator cut: snip Never again.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 10-21-2013 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: removed unnecessary portion

Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
I am male and the 3 best bosses I have ever had were female, although I have had bad bosses of both sexes, although the worst boss I ever had was a male boss who was a control freak that did not understand my job and got his position by being the son in law of the owner.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 AM

42 posts, read 80,197 times
I am a female, and I have had 7 supervisors. 2 were male and the other 5 were females. Of the male supervisors I have had, one was great, and the other one was so intelligent that it was hard to relate to him. Of the female supervisors, I have had one that was great, two that were very disorganized, and two that were kind of difficult to get along with.

Based on my experiences, I think I prefer male supervisors. They are generally more even-tempered and more straightforward.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
I don't care about gender, I've had terrible male and female bosses and a great male and female boss. I care more about their temperment and personality.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM

17 posts, read 23,184 times
In my experience, female bosses tend to think they are more entitled and they were not very level-headed at making sound business decisions. And I've also for some reason always have to say "I'm sorry" more times to a female boss than I do a male boss. It just feels like I'm in another marriage.

Male bosses are so much easier to get along with. I use to work at a bank with all guy tellers and the branch manager was male. I know, unheard of. Drama free workplace. We worked as a team, no one worked against the other one. Best job experience I've ever had. That is until he got promoted, then a female branch manager came along, two of the guys quit, they were replaced by female tellers, and well so much for drama free. Had to get out of dodge.

Last edited by sniper2013; 11-19-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 PM

189 posts, read 239,852 times
It depends on the personality of my boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.