Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:53 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times

Advertisements

I've done it before. Never been an issue. Clothes didn't accidentally fall off or anything.

In my office, business lunches are a normal thing. You just go to lunch, and eat and talk work and go back to office.

A few of my female coworker's i'm friends with. We've gone out and talked about personal things. A couple times she's had her husband come out to meet us.

We're all mid 30's and older. Married, kids, etc. It's just work.

In my 10 years here I've never had an issue with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 12:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've done it before. Never been an issue. Clothes didn't accidentally fall off or anything.

In my office, business lunches are a normal thing. You just go to lunch, and eat and talk work and go back to office.

A few of my female coworker's i'm friends with. We've gone out and talked about personal things. A couple times she's had her husband come out to meet us.

We're all mid 30's and older. Married, kids, etc. It's just work.

In my 10 years here I've never had an issue with it.
This is my experience as well! I don't know where this idea of "temptation" enters into lunch with a colleague.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
It all depends on the person is the short answer. I have lunch with colleagues all the time, sometimes alone. I have never been tempted to do anything besides eat and chat. If a person is one to be tempted it is going to happen somewhere else, if not at lunch with a co-worker.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:14 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,489 times
Being a married woman, I personally would not do it nor would want my husband doing this. You never know what may be said or viewed by someone else or the woman you go with. It could possibly make the other person interested in a relationship that would be inappropriate(just never know). It just sounds like a bad idea being one on one. Group lunch? Sure, not a problem. Maybe instead, order out and have it brought to your workplace (or pickup and bring back).

I understand your wifes stance, but still wouldnt even go regardless of age. Theres just a lot of things that could get misunderstood or construed as questionable - even if 100% harmless. I rarely eat out and the company I worked for usually just ordered in or did carry ins which was perfect for me. We did some group lunch outtings which I went to but few and far between (10 or so of us) which made it fun and casual.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 24,703 times
Default It all depends on the line of work

If you are equals in pay grade and status then it is okay. If you are higher than them in pay grade or title (such as manager or something) then you should not ask them to come with you for lunch. It can be viewed poorly if women are the majority but are not in positions of power. If you are in a position of power then don't go with them. Also what do you think the owner will think, if he sees you eating lunch with a female co worker? If he does not notice it or mind and if she agrees happily to do so, then it should be okay. It depends on the workplace itself. Is it casual, uptight, or relaxed or serious? I think I would invite 2 females together for lunch at first to make it appear as a group. That might be your best bet. Or if you feel like it is inappropriate then maybe you should not ask a female out to lunch at all.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:24 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
First, when I did have opposite sex friends, where we would go to lunch, some other activity or whatever, they would inevitably cross a line and tell me they wanted to be more than friends.
I'm sure you're irresistible. However, I'm also sure I could resist you, if I had to, because (1) I like my wife and (2) I like my job. I have lunch alone with female colleagues all the time.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:50 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This is my first time working in a smaller company. Usually always worked in large corporations or at least medium sized (100-200 employees). It was easy to get a nice group together to head out to lunch a couple times a month. Very nice, destressing, and fun, if you could afford it of course. No one was forced to go!

I usually bring a lunch, but every once in a while it's just nice to step out of the office and have a sit down meal.

Wife is neutral. Said it depends on the age and relationship status of the woman. (Ex, she wouldn't mind me going out with a 55 year old married woman but would mind me going out with a 25 year old married or single woman)

I'm probably not going to do this at my current job since people here rarely eat anyway, but it just got me thinking and I was curious to see what other people think.
It's only inappropriate if you are going out with a women because she is attractive you. If you are going out for lunch stop worrying and just go eat together.

I have been eating lunch with coworkers (men and women) for 30+years. it's only an issue if you are spending every free hour with one particular co-worker.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I have gone to lunch with both single and married females over the last 30 or so years I have been working. Most recently with my director, who is my boss, and a single woman. It's never been a problem, nor has my wife had any issues with it. In fact, I have gone on business trips with female co-workers. It's just a matter of trust, and not worrying about what other, prying people think. Considering how much people now talk about gender not making any difference, even the controversy over restroom use, it seems strange that this topic would be still of interest.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:55 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,689 times
There's nothing wrong with it at all.
Assuming you can keep things professional and not get any dirty mindset .
If you don't then its not a good idea.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,543 times
It's been awhile, but I used to occasionally go to lunch with male co-workers and thought nothing of it. But a few times there was gossip circulating if 1) the man was married 2) we went to lunch more than a few times ....alone (just the 2 of us) and/or 3) if the man had a 'reputation'. I guess some thought "lunch" was a prelude; a way to set the groundwork. And, if a male and female go to lunch often (just the 2 of them) and are gone for a long time, that tends to raise eyebrows especially if they appear to like each other. Not saying it means something is going on; just that people notice things and 'talk'.

If people are going to have affairs, they certainly will find a way to do so other than the lunch hour.

I think people have a right to have lunch with whoever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment