Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:21 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I'm actually working at a public accounting firm now, but a very small one, just 12 employees. I manage about 35 small business clients simultaneously, but I don't know how that stacks up to the ratios at larger firms. I started my accounting work in corporate/private companies and ultimately want to get back there, but I took this job because I did want some public accounting experience, and like you said, I have been rapidly learning a lot and being exposed to many different industries and businesses. I also have some small managerial responsibilities in addition to my main responsibilities which I would put most similar to a staff accountant or accountant I role. I planned on being here 2-3 years while I earned my MBA and CPA, but the work environment has become very poor and my compensation shows no signs of going up despite my workload more than tripling. I'm also currently doing at least 3 times the work of our other accountants, but I'm compensated the same.

I am frustrated about the age thing... I had wished my last career in design and audio production worked out, but five years and it was amounting to nothing more than constant relocation, fighting tooth and nail for contract work, and being laid off countless times. I needed something more stable and more available. I don't know if Accounting/Finance was the right pick, but it was the easiest transition and makes the best use of my natural aptitudes (aside from my creativity and design skills which unfortunately were too difficult to secure full-time employment with) I would love to get into more of a Finance Analyst or Cost Accounting role as I actually really enjoy the interpretation and calculation side of Accounting/Finance, but Unfortunately these roles seem VERY difficult to break into with limited experience. Forensic Accounting is another field I would love to get into, but once again it seems very difficult to break into.

All and all, I'm just trying to grin and bear it until I can get a little more experience and some more credentials. I had thought my leadership roles (3 years of lead experience) from my past career would benefit me a little bit getting started, but no one seems to care. lol

I don't think accounting is the right career for you. Your complaints about your workload tripling and the compensation staying the same show that you don't have the right attitude to work your way up to management level. As a junior accountant in public, your workload will increase at every level and the pay increases are never proportional to the increased responsibilities. It is called paying your dues.

You seem to think that after only a couple of years you deserve a shortcut to the top and that is never going to happen. The people in accounting, especially public that make it to manager, senior manager or partner (6 figure plus salaries) are the ones that work the most hours, produce high quality work and build up a book of business all while dealing with a highly stressful environment and less than ideal work/life balance.

I also noticed that you were the poster whining about your employer making you work overtime and using your PTO when you failed to work at least 40 hours a week instead of treating the overtime as comp time. LMAO now that I know you are working in public accounting. You are lucky to still have a job, if you had pulled that crap at any firm that I worked for, you would have been fired and word of mouth would have made it impossible for you to find work at another firm. It is a good thing that you are at a smaller firm, you wouldn't make it at a larger firm, the competition for promotions at large firms is fierce and you would have washed out within weeks.

Moderator cut: .A CPA firm hired you and is giving you a chance to work hard, build a career and learn what you need to know to move up the ranks. In return, you are working less than full time some weeks while whining about not getting promoted and being underpaid. That kind of behavior is not going to help you reach your goals in any industry or occupation. While you will never see it this way, the firm you work for must actually be a great place to work. Pretty much any accounting firm I can think of would have fired you and never looked back.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: see forum sticky re: generalizing generations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, many. Project managers, process design, risk/compliance managers, IT developer, etc. I work with a ton of people who make 100k and only work 40 hrs/wk.
Unfortunately, that is not the norm in most fields.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Yes, many. Project managers, process design, risk/compliance managers, IT developer, etc. I work with a ton of people who make 100k and only work 40 hrs/wk.
In most fields, This is only true for 90% of the time. The other 10% does require them to work a few extra hours here and there. But that's not too bad.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In most fields, This is only true for 90% of the time. The other 10% does require them to work a few extra hours here and there. But that's not too bad.
A few hours here and there are inconsequential. What I don't understand is the false belief that every salaried or well paid jobs involves working outrageous hours. It's like people are using it as an excuse to not pursue higher positions or higher salaries.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:16 AM

857 posts, read 843,957 times
Quite a few federal gov't jobs pay 100k plus. Not that super hard really to get to that level; it does take some effort/right opportunity to get an open position though (esp. one not being filled from inside). Gov't contracting pays good money as well, but again, one typically has to have prior military experience, and/or work directly for the company in support of the contracts. Those positions get cut quite often as the contracts fluctuate.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
A few hours here and there are inconsequential. What I don't understand is the false belief that every salaried or well paid jobs involves working outrageous hours. It's like people are using it as an excuse to not pursue higher positions or higher salaries.
Because many fields do expect long hours for salaried employees.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Because many fields do expect long hours for salaried employees.
All jobs are a choice. Don't like the hours, then change jobs.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:52 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Umm............you've never heard "paying your dues" and "working your way to the top"?

What do you bring to the table that someone should pay you that kind of money?
Have you read his posts? My understanding is that he is paying his dues. He does understand that it will take time but wants validation if he's on the right path. What's wrong with that? I really didn't get the impression from any of his several posts that he was expecting instant cash - and there's nothing wrong with working hard toward more money.

Anyway, my advice is to also try Commercial Property Tax at companies like Ryan & Co., Duff & Phelps and Ernst & Young - most accountants don't go to school to file business property returns so knowing this side of things could actually help you get in the door. Having an accounting degree will get you around 50k and then you can move up from there...just a thought...

Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
All jobs are a choice. Don't like the hours, then change jobs.
But unfortunately, many "professional" fields do not offer a 40 hour per week Mon-Fri option. Part of the problem is that people choose a college major too early in life, before you really know who you are. Also, people choose a college major based on what academically interests themselves for 4 years, rather than based on the lifestyle that they will be living for the rest of their life.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But unfortunately, many "professional" fields do not offer a 40 hour per week Mon-Fri option. Part of the problem is that people choose a college major too early in life, before you really know who you are. Also, people choose a college major based on what academically interests themselves for 4 years, rather than based on the lifestyle that they will be living for the rest of their life.
Blah, blah, blah. We control our lives. You don't like your job, get another one. Change fields. People do it all the time. You can have the salary and the hours you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment