Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 03:06 AM

181 posts, read 445,105 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this for a friend. She begins a new position at her job next week which will entail more money, but it won't become officially until about 1.5 months; however, she will be taking on the additional responsibilities. Her paycheck will be updated to reflect the new pay after those 1.5 months, but she was asking if there was a tactful way of asking about getting "back pay"? What do you think she should do? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
There is no "back pay".
She agreed to take the position and have her salary updated in 1.5 months.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
^^I agree. She should have negotiated better terms, but she's clearly agreed to an increase in salary only after 1.5 months.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
I'm asking this for a friend. She begins a new position at her job next week which will entail more money, but it won't become officially until about 1.5 months; however, she will be taking on the additional responsibilities. Her paycheck will be updated to reflect the new pay after those 1.5 months, but she was asking if there was a tactful way of asking about getting "back pay"? What do you think she should do? Thanks!

I had that happen. I was "Promoted" to a new position. HOWEVER they neglected to let me know I was going to get paid for the past two months in my new position.

So, after 2 months, my pay jumped, then the very next paycheck took a massive leap, I actually fretted about paying back the extra. I went to my supervisor who looked at my paycheck and hit the roof that payroll neglected to put ANY message in their message box that the "Extra" was for the previous 2 months.

She apologized personally for neglecting telling me I'd get back pay (Nice dinner at Black Angus) and then ripped into payroll for their oversight also....

I'd simply go to the supervisor and say "I was promoted and have been doing the job that I am now being paid more for, but I WAS doing it before the pay increase and feel I should be compensated for the time previous to the raise as I have proved myself. Thank you"

Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

I'd simply go to the supervisor and say "I was promoted and have been doing the job that I am now being paid more for, but I WAS doing it before the pay increase and feel I should be compensated for the time previous to the raise as I have proved myself. Thank you"
She hasn't started to new position yet....

Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
The time to negotiate the back pay was before agreeing to the promotion. Asking later makes the promotee seem petty. Don't do it.

I've taken on the additional responsibilities of a promotion before getting the promotion title and raise. It's a drag, but keep in mind that it's also accumulating goodwill with your manager and a chit to call in later.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
She hasn't started to new position yet....
She could ask after 1.5 months then....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment