Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times

Advertisements

Can you use the train system on days when you know the traffic will tend to be worse? Say, during winter weather, when you know there will be snow, is it feasible to drive to the train and take it to your office? If you like the area in which you live, it would be difficult to give that up for an easier commute, especially if the quality of life and important municipal functions like school, fire, police, etc. are not as well managed in the new location.

Alternatively, on bad winter days, would it be feasible to stay in a hotel close to work so that you do not have to deal with the drive? If you save significantly on rent/mortgage and taxes, it might not be too out of line to have a hotel as a backup for nights when you know the commute will be bad.

I have had long commutes, and it really depends upon your tolerance for driving and the comfort of the vehicle in which you do it. Satellite radio, streaming music, audio books, etc. do tend to make it more tolerable in the car, but there comes a point where vehicle expenses tend to outstrip the benefits, so be sure to factor those commute costs into the total expenditures to see if you're really coming out ahead financially. However, I do understand the differences in certain communities, and if you are committed to the current town, it could be difficult to give that up and pay more for something that does not meet the same expectations.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times
Unless its cheap enough to pay the place off in a few years then ever if you have to move you can rent it out for the taxes and still break even but can probably get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I'm not familiar with Chicago but having lived in LA and NYC - both expensive areas - I did make the decision to move further out for lower costs. My commute now in LA is 1.5 hrs driving each way (don't need to come in too often though)... I absolutely could not do this if I had to come in every day. It's stressful and soul-sucking. My commute in NY was about 1.25 hrs each way with a mix of train and walking. At the end of the day it was worth it to save up to $1k each month. Would it be worth it to save <$500? I personally would say no.

But one thing to think about is that you don't want to be too far away from where the epicenter for jobs is. If you lose your job, you don't want to have trouble finding another one because all of a sudden 1/2 of the city is even further out than this job. These days, that scares me more than anything so I won't live more than 30-40 miles outside of a major city, no matter how cheap it is.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
We have the train system, but with all the stops at each station and commuting to the station in the first place, you still have an hour, maybe even longer commute. The nice thing about the trains though is you can sit back and enjoy the ride. (And do whatever, read, play video games, study, sleep, etc. )
Ditto. If my commute had to be an hour, I'd much rather it be on mass transit where not having to pay extra attention when driving would be a non-trivial reprieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, now that is interesting. So you could live in the next state and pay a lot less in property taxes, get a nice home for less than $200,000 and still work in Chicago? If it was me, I would jump on that. Anyone see a problem with this logic, and I ask because I don't know the area.
You see this sort of thing in many other cases too:
1) Because of how some states are shaped, one student drives 1.5 hours to get to campus pays IN-state tuition, while another who lives 30 minutes away pays OUT OF STATE tuition.
2) I had a boss drive 1.5 hours each way to work, living in IL. Another would come in from Ohio, but an agreement lets him work a 4/10 (4 days, 10 hours per day), AND they would reimburse him for mileage and an Extended Stay hotel. Because he only does the long trek for one round trip, vs. that boss that does it every day, the guy coming from OH drove less per week!

3) I've seen people who own condos, but will rent and live in another one just so they could produce the utility bills to prove they have the residency there, to enable their kids to attend the superior school systems in that area.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
I prefer the amenities and the energy of urban living. The price you pay is well worth it if you're into that kind of living. Cheap places are cheap for a very good reason.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
Keep in mind that there's a hidden cost to a long commute. It's not just the cost of gas for those extra miles, you basically destroy the value of an already depreciating asset (in the form of your vehicle) even faster by racking up those miles quickly.

AAA does a report every year on the true cost of driving which factors in everything from gas and maintenance to depreciation. Most recently the average cost was about 58 cents per mile.
Annual Cost to Own and Operate a Vehicle Falls to $8,698, Finds AAA | AAA NewsRoom

So if you give yourself a 50 mile commute every day that means you cost yourself $13,920 per year (per car mind you) just to commute that distance. (figure 48 weeks per year x 5 days per week x 100 miles per day) A lot of that cost is hidden in depreciation that doesn't hit you until you go to sell your vehicle, but it's still there.

With an almost $14,000 cost per year for a long commute, living that far from work suddenly doesn't look like a very good value.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 AM

780 posts, read 678,295 times
I used to commute almost 4 hours a day, on an 8 hours shift. I did that on purpose because I wanted to move to the city. I also didn't want to move unless I could save up to a year's worth of rent, minimum. After 2 yrs, I moved 30 minutes walking distance from my work. Granted, I was on a train/bus, so less stressful than driving, but still soul-sucking. To me, every penny to save counts, but it is a lot of sacrifice. I had no energy to do much and it was the dullest 2 yrs of my life. But, with the salary I was taking home, it was worth it and I had a goal behind my decision. So my suggestion is for you to evaluate your financial and lifestyle goals. Will it help your reach your goal faster? You have to look at the big picture if you're making a big move, such as buying a house.

I came across this article and I found it very helpful. I keep that in mind now in case I get a new job and have to decide again.

This guy retired at the age of "thirtysomethin", so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to money. This article will actually break it down for you and you can apply it to yourself and help you decide for yourself if the 1 hour of commute is worth-it.

The True Cost of Commuting

Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
The problem with the MMM article is that most people can't afford to pay hundreds of thousands more for a house thirty miles closer to work.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM

780 posts, read 678,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem with the MMM article is that most people can't afford to pay hundreds of thousands more for a house thirty miles closer to work.
I understand. The way I see it is find a work closer to home. Finding a job that pays more that is "in the city" or anywhere further doesn't equate to make you more money, due to the commute.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I hate cars with a passion. So much negativity, so much time you will never get back. One of the reasons I stay at my horrible, crappy job is because I can ride a bicycle or even walk if I want to. What annoys me is people who move far from their job and then make people suffer endless b**ching and complaining about their commute every day . . .
True, I don't think anyone likes a complainer. Many times other factors are present. You own a home and live by your employer and it is a home that you can afford. Then you end up moving on to another job maybe because of a lay off, or getting fired, or your job is phased out. You might not be in a position to sell your home or maybe your family is established in the area, your kids school is awesome and you and the your family have a lot of friends in the area, possibly a spouse also has a job near your home. Moving becomes an issue for many.

Other things to consider are cost of housing near your employer. I know people that live near me that commute into Los Angeles every day because it is cheaper to live here than it is in LA or more than likely the quality of life is better here than where the job is.

Another factor is that some people love to drive. A good friend that I have known since I was maybe 8 years had been working on LA's West side for years. He would drive down the Pacific Coast Highway and from time to time hit the surf either before or after work. Another friend was doing the same thing because he loved to ride his Motorcycle down the coast each day. Another former co-worker lived over an hour away in a hillside community and he would ride his motorcycle into work every day. For some it is the drive that keeps them going. I know you mentioned that you are not into cars but many are and many have the kind of cars or motorcycles that are begging to get driven hard.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,125 times
No. I did it for awhile while looking for a house and it sucked. Waste of life if you think about it. Cuts into important stuff, like family or even working out. A couple times a week, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment