Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Technology could kill 5 million jobs by 2020 - Jan. 18, 2016

As an IT consultant and have gigs at several large job sites, the automation is real. I've worked on projects that are using software to replace work that used to be performed by several depts. Many projects that are being deployed right now on a smaller scale will eventually hit global scale and other smaller firms will eventually adopt similar systems. More and more jobs will disappear and less jobs will be created to offset the losses.

The people at risk the most of being displaced by tech will be folks that can't keep up with technology. If you are one of those folks that can't figure out an ATM machine or do your banking online then you won't be able to keep up by 2020.

Places that we'll see the most automation will be in servicing of our finances such as applying for loans, paying for bills, banking, and payment system will all become fully digital and automated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 PM

426 posts, read 371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Technology could kill 5 million jobs by 2020 - Jan. 18, 2016

As an IT consultant and have gigs at several large job sites, the automation is real. I've worked on projects that are using software to replace work that used to be performed by several depts. Many projects that are being deployed right now on a smaller scale will eventually hit global scale and other smaller firms will eventually adopt similar systems. More and more jobs will disappear and less jobs will be created to offset the losses.

The people at risk the most of being displaced by tech will be folks that can't keep up with technology. If you are one of those folks that can't figure out an ATM machine or do your banking online then you won't be able to keep up by 2020.

Places that we'll see the most automation will be in servicing of our finances such as applying for loans, paying for bills, banking, and payment system will all become fully digital and automated.
The automated robots and machines do need to be maintain
Somebody has to watch them and troubleshoot them in case something goes wrong.
So in a similar way it will create new jobs.
YOU'T CAN AUTOMATE EVERY SINGLE THING

Old 02-05-2016, 12:41 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Go STEM and you lessen the risks

Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
It's called progress. Less work is always a good thing.

The difficult part is determining how to handle displaced workers, and the distribution of scarce resources. Those displaced workers still need food and a place to live. If new jobs are not created, those people don't just magically go away.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM

537 posts, read 598,259 times
Yup I'm in tech too and the software we write is directly replacing human workers. My work has probably put thousands of other people out of work. If your kids aren't learning STEM, they will probably never have jobs.

I've said it before and will say it again. By 2030 or 2040, the world economy will consist of the top 10% who are highly educated and who cannot be replaced by software and robotics, and everyone else who is living off of government welfare. The vast majority of the world population just does not have the drive or intellect to perform work that cannot be automated easily.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM

77 posts, read 71,672 times
[satire]Oh, what ever shall we do with our lives if we didn't have to work for a living?[/satire]

Create art? Go into research? Explore? Discover? Machines can never really do that. (they can aid in it, though)

Not intending to be (very) snarky, it's just that- wouldn't you think we'd be better off as a race if we did stuff because of our own volition, not out of a necessity to survive?

PS: Wasn't there a Star TrekTNG quote about this?

Last edited by TrumPockets; 02-05-2016 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-05-2016, 01:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I'm pretty sure this same news pops up every year with a different amount of jobs and different year.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
This theme is an old one, and inaccurate. When the times change, jobs change with them. When everyone is working in tech, who will be babysitting your kids? Who will be cleaning your houses? Who will be starting up new business such as Uber and Lyfft to get you from place to place when you go to conferences? Who will be cooking your ready-made meals that you order online and have delivered? Who will actually be building these wonderful technological devices; who will be the people supplying materials for the chips that go into them; who will be taking care of the computers in your new cars and ordering the materials to fix these cars?

These questions have been asked at many times in the past when it seemed we had come to the zenith of technology and everyone not in the new fields would be swept aside.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I agree there needs to be humans in the process of designing the automation and maintaining them but that will get outsourced to people like me who are independent contractors who work for several different companies. I go in, get the job done and leave. They call me back for upgrades and I get them done. There's not many permanent jobs left for someone that maintains these systems. They either get outsourced to cheap labor or software to handle them.

The only jobs really left are decision makers and those people are the least technical.

There are many companies out there that have already drawn up plans to move their IT environment offsite to Amazon Cloud and are in the process of moving their apps and data out. As the cost gets cheaper the more attractive it gets for companies to do so.

Majority of today's internet start-ups are using a cloud based service to handle their server builds. It's the only way to build hundreds of servers quickly and cheaply.

Many of these companies are already using software to handle their IT duties likes account management down to just a few clicks by an end user.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:24 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,602 times
Let me tell you a story. My dentist's mom has two sons, one of them wanted to be a dentist, the other wanted to go into tech or business, she said to them "People will always eat and their teeth will always rot, so both of you go into dentistry".
They both did and are doing very well, the one who wanted to do tech dabbles on a side with programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment