Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM

224 posts, read 285,882 times

Advertisements

I started working for a good distrubuting company about a year ago. I got hired to start at $10/HR and then after 2 weeks my wage increased to $11/hr. My boss(owner of the company) gave me this wage on the basis of my "entry level experience" since I had just graduated college, but when I applied initially for the job through craigslist the post stated starting at $12/HR. I thought, "Ok the $11/hr is reasonable since I don't have much experience". My boss said he would see where we would go from there.

I found out that the boss had hired a substitute truck driver about a month ago who is an illegal immigrant on a $500/week salary. Not only that, but the 2 other people make $17/hour in the office and 1 of them just started working 3 months ago. Neither of them have a college degree, and the 1 that started has been a stay at home mom for 15 years. My boss keeps saying to me "I promise I'll give you the raise but the company isn't doing well right now". Well I wanted to say that despite saying that, he gave my coworkers more money. However, I am not "allowed" to discuss others wages or even know about them though. I'm required to be there at 8 and unlike my other coworkers in the office who start later and leave earlier or he same time as me. Not only that but they throw their responsibilities on me when they are unable to do the job.

I feel like my boss is being a carrot dangler, and taking advantage of me. He also said he would give more hours to 1 of my former coworkers, but he laid her off recently instead. The only reason why I stay at this job because of the proximity to my husband's job since we only have 1 car. We are already struggling as it is, but it stresses and tires me everyday to be at work for the amount of money I'm getting. I don't know what to do. I don't even get paid time off or sick days to go to an interview. I've talked to my boss multiple times and it's the same answer every time that the company is struggling.

Last edited by aylinap; 02-14-2016 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:00 PM

850 posts, read 902,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I started working for a good distrubuting company about a year ago. I got hired to start at $10/HR and then after 2 weeks my wage increased to $11/hr. My boss(owner of the company) gave me this wage on the basis of my "entry level experience" since I had just graduated college, but when I applied initially for the job through craigslist the post stated starting at $12/HR. I thought, "Ok the $11/hr is reasonable since I don't have much experience". My boss said he would see where we would go from there.

I found out that the boss had hired a substitute truck driver about a month ago who is an illegal immigrant on a $500/week salary. Not only that, but the 2 other people make $17/hour in the office and 1 of them just started working 3 months ago. Neither of them have a college degree, and the 1 that started has been a stay at home mom for 15 years. My boss keeps saying to me "I promise I'll give you the raise but the company isn't doing well right now". Well I wanted to say that despite saying that, he gave my coworkers more money. However, I am not "allowed" to discuss others wages or even know about them though. I'm required to be there at 8 and unlike my other coworkers in the office who start later and leave earlier or he same time as me. Not only that but they throw their responsibilities on me when they are unable to do the job.

I feel like my boss is being a carrot dangler, and taking advantage of me. He also said he would give more hours to 1 of my former coworkers, but he laid her off recently instead. The only reason why I stay at this job because of the proximity to my husband's job since we only have 1 car. We are already struggling as it is, but it stresses and tires me everyday to be at work for the amount of money I'm getting. I don't know what to do. I don't even get paid time off or sick days to go to an interview. I've talked to my boss multiple times and it's the same answer every time that the company is struggling.
Your job sounds like the temp job I worked last year. I was working as an associate chemist for a large paper company in Atlanta and was making $17 per hour in a temp to hire position. When I was initially hired I was told that the position could become permanent after 6 months depending on how the projects in the department are doing.

There were two other chemists in my department that have been working there for 18 months and no talk about them going perm. I found out both of them were making $20 per hour so I thought if the R&D manager didn't want to hire me full time at least I could ask the staffing agency for a raise. 6 months later I asked the manager about my future with the company and he said the departments went through restructuring and the projects are still in their preliminary phases so he doesn't have a full time position at the moment but told me to apply to jobs on the company website in other departments that fit my background.

The staffing agency did not want to give me a raise because they are cheap b*****ds who want to pocket as much of the pay that they can. I felt like that company was dagling a carrot in front of me and it was time to move on.

I applied to positions all over the country and landed a full time analytical chemist position in West Virginia at a medium sized pharmacetuals company paying $15k more per year that I was making at my previous temp job and I have health insurance that only costs me $18 per month, free dental/vision coverage, and 401k matching for every dollar I contributed.

It seems so many companies are are abusing and taking advantage of its employees that it's ridiculous. Since you and your husband are sharing a vehicle it makes it diffulct for you to find a new job elsewhere. I say give it another 6 months and if your boss/owner of the company still refuses to give you a raise I will look for a new job elsewhere. At least at that point you will have enough experience on your resume to find better paying work.

What is your job title and position? Have you researched what the average person is making with your job title in your area? If it's way below market pay, I would defiantly address it with your boss and bring that data with you after working there another few months and maybe that will help you get a raise a couple months down the road.

You are defiantly getting taken advantage of and shouldn't tolerate it much longer.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post

What is your job title and position? Have you researched what the average person is making with your job title in your area? If it's way below market pay, I would defiantly address it with your boss and bring that data with you after working there another few months and maybe that will help you get a raise a couple months down the road.

You are defiantly getting taken advantage of and shouldn't tolerate it much longer.
My job title is an executive assistant. They make an average of $53k-67k a year in North Carolina. I was thinking even if I get a raise I still get no benefits (401k, medical insurance, paid days off). He gives some of 2 of his employees 401k. Luckily, my husband and I are moving closer to his job soon, so that can give me more leverage in finding another job.

I've tried that whole getting my boss to write his promise on paper, but he won't because he claims he doesn't know when things will get better.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:00 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Look for another job.

Don't go to HR.

Report your boss for hiring an illegal.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:12 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,093 times
Only thing you can do is move on ASAP. Don't hold your breath on promises. You'll be disappointed, as I found out early on in my early years right after college.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:20 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:

Send out the resumes, hes' shafting you.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 PM

850 posts, read 902,054 times
Quote:
My job title is an executive assistant. They make an average of $53k-67k a year in North Carolina. I was thinking even if I get a raise I still get no benefits (401k, medical insurance, paid days off). He gives some of 2 of his employees 401k. Luckily, my husband and I are moving closer to his job soon, so that can give me more leverage in finding another job.

I've tried that whole getting my boss to write his promise on paper, but he won't because he claims he doesn't know when things will get better.
Yeah update your resume and start applying for new administrative roles in your area. Apparently there is a lot of Nepotism at that company. He only gives decent pay and benefits to the people he likes.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:59 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
How to Anonymously Report Employers Hiring Undocumented Immigrants | Chron.com

Old 02-14-2016, 05:08 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:

Are you doing executive assistant duties, or do you just have the title because you work for the boss? Also, in order to get to that salary average, some make a little to a lot less, and some make a little to a lot more. You cannot compare your salary to a truck driver, or anyone else working in a different pay classification. A college degree does not mean you are worth more money. Are you getting screwed? Quite possibly. Asking for a written promise was not a smart move.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are you doing executive assistant duties, or do you just have the title because you work for the boss? Also, in order to get to that salary average, some make a little to a lot less, and some make a little to a lot more. You cannot compare your salary to a truck driver, or anyone else working in a different pay classification. A college degree does not mean you are worth more money. Are you getting screwed? Quite possibly. Asking for a written promise was not a smart move.

I do executive assistant duties. There are 2 other people who work in the office who get $17/hr and have less duties than I do. If your boss gives 401k only to the people who he coached in high school and paid vacation time to them without being there a full year, I think that it is a great possibility that I am getting screwed over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment