Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

^^^^this! Do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:40 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I do executive assistant duties. There are 2 other people who work in the office who get $17/hr and have less duties than I do. If your boss gives 401k only to the people who he coached in high school and paid vacation time to them without being there a full year, I think that it is a great possibility that I am getting screwed over...
Then, what is the problem? Either put up and shut up because it is close and you only have one car, OR start looking for a new job.
Nepotism is alive and well at your {HIS} company.

YOu COULD try to inform him that the job posting on CL stated $12/hr and you will report him to the labor board of your state for false posting a job, but you definitely will raise his ire and he will find some reason to Fire you, and anymore a firing doesn't appeal to new prospective employers.

You are also correct, that you should not know or discuss wages with anyone as it raises the exact issues you are complaining about. If raises were handed out at a rate of $1./hr more per year of service, and the $17/h person has worked there 15 years, you have no right as a newbie with little/no experience to demand or command that wage!!!
AND your college? well it may not be required, and experience can trump college! Loyalty also palys a part into it. If they were there and helped him start/build his business, he may reward them for it with better wages.

THis is not a reflection directly aimed at you specifically, because it applies to so many: I am amazed, and it never ceases to amaze me, how many "newbies" expect the higher wages of years of experienced/educated workers!!
There was one poster on here who just graduated college, and is in his first year of accounting and complains of making only about $30k, HE wants $100k. He noted that his position in his area usually pays $40-50K but in order to get those jobs they wanted 5 years experience, which he doesn't have. AND the $100k jobs require more. Sheesh!
WHen people are starting out nowadays, they figure they should command the pay of a 10 year veteran with an MBA degree, or at least what a CEO makes! IT JUST AIN'T SO! It doesn't work that way! Sheesh!

SO, take heart, and look for another job if you think you can get more.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 AM

224 posts, read 285,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

You are also correct, that you should not know or discuss wages with anyone as it raises the exact issues you are complaining about. If raises were handed out at a rate of $1./hr more per year of service, and the $17/h person has worked there 15 years, you have no right as a newbie with little/no experience to demand or command that wage!!!
AND your college? well it may not be required, and experience can trump college! Loyalty also palys a part into it. If they were there and helped him start/build his business, he may reward them for it with better wages.

THis is not a reflection directly aimed at you specifically, because it applies to so many: I am amazed, and it never ceases to amaze me, how many "newbies" expect the higher wages of years of experienced/educated workers!!
There was one poster on here who just graduated college, and is in his first year of accounting and complains of making only about $30k, HE wants $100k. He noted that his position in his area usually pays $40-50K but in order to get those jobs they wanted 5 years experience, which he doesn't have. AND the $100k jobs require more. Sheesh!
WHen people are starting out nowadays, they figure they should command the pay of a 10 year veteran with an MBA degree, or at least what a CEO makes! IT JUST AIN'T SO! It doesn't work that way! Sheesh!

SO, take heart, and look for another job if you think you can get more.
The person that earns $17/hr has been there only 3 months and was a stay at home mom with little to no office experience. He hired her because they are friends outside of work before he even hired her. They hang out and drink.

I'm not expecting a ridiculous amount of money like that. I'm being realistic. I only make about a little over $16k after taxes. I know I'm worth more than just $16k. I would gladly take that $30k that gentleman makes, and I could probably earn that much in reality.

Last edited by aylinap; 02-15-2016 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-15-2016, 07:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Unfortunately, cronyism is a significant part of your boss' business model. If you want a raise, you are probably going to have to leave.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:16 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
The only way to remedy being underpaid nowadays is to jump companies. Most companies will never give more than a 3-5% raise unless you get a big promotion. You are being strung along and taken advantage of and it will not ever change as long as you are there.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
I do executive assistant duties. There are 2 other people who work in the office who get $17/hr and have less duties than I do. If your boss gives 401k only to the people who he coached in high school and paid vacation time to them without being there a full year, I think that it is a great possibility that I am getting screwed over...
What are your duties?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:02 AM

224 posts, read 285,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
What are your duties?

I do a variety of tasks. Purchase orders, create bank deposits, conduct weekly and monthly sales reports, daily operation reports, billing, payroll, posting payments, creating memos, manage price changes, schedule deliveries, setting up new accounts, training new employees, data entry, and vendor/driver/customer communications.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:41 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
Your boss is stringing you along about a raise, hiring undocumented immigrants and employing his unqualified friends at higher rates of pay. In addition, he's prohibiting his employees from discussing their salaries, which in some situations, at least, is a violation of the law. This is not a well-run outfit. The only thing you'll get from this job is really basic stuff to put on your resume. That's it.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 AM

142 posts, read 179,072 times
Quote:
Average salaries is completely meaningless once you understand that different sized companies pay VASTLY different salaries. An executive assistant working for a Senior Director or VP (with 150 people in their organization) at a Fortune 500 company is going to make more than someone with the same title at a small business. So my suggestion is that you don't dwell on that, despite advice you may see here.

With regards to others with higher pay and no degree, the owner is probably paying them more because that's what is will take to keep them as employees. Because of your degree, you likely have more options and the boss knows that you WILL be leaving, even if he paid you the $12/hr that was originally advertised. The fact that you took the job at $10/hr tells the boss that you probably didn't have many options that fit into your plan (close to home/1 car/etc). He knows that as soon as your situation improves, you're going to be leaving. He has no need to pay you more.

All of this aside, I agree that it sucks. I was once not given a job at a new Radio Shack that was opening. I was still in school and I had a chance to meet the other guys that got jobs over me. None of them had even close to my experience with all things digital, computers, circuits, audio, video, etc. The one thing that they had in common? No college education and limited future careers.

Keep you head up and start applying for other jobs.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
Average salaries is completely meaningless once you understand that different sized companies pay VASTLY different salaries. An executive assistant working for a Senior Director or VP (with 150 people in their organization) at a Fortune 500 company is going to make more than someone with the same title at a small business. So my suggestion is that you don't dwell on that, despite advice you may see here.

Reading the job duties to me sounds a lot more like an administrative assistant than an executive assistant and it is probably just due to being a smaller company that they have one admin who takes on these roles. A lot of the executive assistants I have met help to make decisions for the executive's behalf, acts as his right hand man almost.

If you feel underpaid, then look outside of the company you work at and find a place willing to pay you more. Sometimes, it is that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment