Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:28 AM

65 posts, read 55,704 times

Advertisements

I've actually thought I lost things at work (like entire folders) and found them in the trash. More than once I have physically knocked something into the trash without meaning to.

The OP may still have been pranked, but we'd need to know more about what led her to believe this. Is there a backstory here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:33 AM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
This situation speaks highly about your employer.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
This situation speaks highly about your employer.
Speaks highly in what manner?

One can't glean anything about this employer, good or bad, based on one incident with little details.

There's not a single shred of proof that the purse was either stolen or taken with intent to steal, or put in the trash as a prank. No one claims to know anything about the incident. What, the supervisor should go around and lecture the group on not touching people's private property, when, again, there's no proof anything malicious happened?

Old 02-21-2016, 03:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
I've actually thought I lost things at work (like entire folders) and found them in the trash. More than once I have physically knocked something into the trash without meaning to.

The OP may still have been pranked, but we'd need to know more about what led her to believe this. Is there a backstory here?
My first though was that it got knocked into the trash by mistake too.

But in any case, not sure what action you think you can take here OP. Moving your stuff a short distance (desk to trashcan) isn't against the law whether it's a prank, an accident, or a deliberate action to be mean. Nothing was taken so there is no theft.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
How about theft or unauthorized use of property? Or do you think it is legal to take someone's wallet?
The OP said nothing was missing out of her purse. No theft.

Unauthorized use of property doesn't apply.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:15 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The OP said nothing was missing out of her purse. No theft.

Unauthorized use of property doesn't apply.

The purse was taken -- that in and of itself is theft. The fact that it turned up later is immaterial. The fact that nothing was removed is immaterial. The purse was moved without permission -- that is unauthorized use of property. It could also be considered criminal mischief or disorderly conduct, because moving it caused "inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm." Insert appropriate elements for your jurisdiction here. My answer is based on 30 years of experience investigating crimes and presenting them for prosecutorial review. What is your answer based on?

Old 02-21-2016, 06:31 PM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Speaks highly in what manner?

One can't glean anything about this employer, good or bad, based on one incident with little details.

There's not a single shred of proof that the purse was either stolen or taken with intent to steal, or put in the trash as a prank. No one claims to know anything about the incident. What, the supervisor should go around and lecture the group on not touching people's private property, when, again, there's no proof anything malicious happened?
You know. I do not lock my drawers at work expecting my coworkers to steal or damage something. It's about what the superwiser should do, rather the existing environment where some-one thinks this is acceptable. Chances are the carpal is not going to stop.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:35 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
If your house keys ere in your purse I'd change the locks as they may have made an imprint of the key. And change any credit cards, etc as they may have written down the numbers.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:04 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
You know. I do not lock my drawers at work expecting my coworkers to steal or damage something. It's about what the superwiser should do, rather the existing environment where some-one thinks this is acceptable. Chances are the carpal is not going to stop.
I don't lock my drawers either but I certainly don't leave my valuables in there.

I trust my co-workers enough not to invade my privacy and steal my wallet IF I ever leave it in there. When you work in groups that have a certain level of education/work experience, it's easy to trust them.

That said, my co-workers aren't the only ones that go through the office spaces. You are aware of cleaning crews right? And any other random people that may be walking through the areas. Hence, why I don't keep anything of value in my desk.

Anyways, can anyone out there tell me exactly what more the OP is supposed to do, and what exactly the supervisor is supposed to do?

The OP already asked around, even the supervisor, and no one knows anything. There's nothing more to be done, there's no proof anyone in the office took the purse and dumped it in the trash to 'degrade' the OP. No video evidence, no forensics, etc. I feel that the OP thinks someone is lying, and won't let this go with nothing short of a witch hunt.

If anything the OP should consider this a lesson learned, let it go, and notify people to be careful with their valuables.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel55 View Post
Is there anything I can do legally?
I came back from a lunch break and my purse was missing. I had a wristlet wallet that I carry instead. I asked around even the supervisor and the individual whom I thought was pulling the prank (we do have a prankster in the group), no one knew anything. After asking around I went back to my desk only to find it in the trash! Nothing was missing in it but the fact is in the trash was poured coffee and that it's degrading.
I would guess it was an enemy who wanted to cause you trouble and hoped you wouldn't find it. Do you have an enemy there?

Or it was someone who was going to rummage thru it or steal it but had to get rid of it in a hurry because someone was coming into the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment