Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:57 PM

213 posts, read 205,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Excuse me, but I have met union employees who are FORBIDDEN to accept "Tips" of ANY sort. This union is one strange one if they permit it.
They don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:36 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan666 View Post
They don't.
I'd be very careful about that then. Being fired is not a way to have to find a new job.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'd be very careful about that then. Being fired is not a way to have to find a new job.
Thanks. I am careful.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:28 PM

144 posts, read 115,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
I could be naive, but I just don't get it.
I work for a company that has been looking for computer engineers overseas to fill good paying jobs. I'm talking $100k a year. What types of career advice do people get, to find themselves in situations like yours? This has always puzzled me.
I understand you are in a crunch now and need a solution right away, but what are your long term plans to get out of this mess? do you see yourself doing this 2, 5, 10 years from now? You won't survive pinching pennies every week.
You need a long term plan.
What is this term, "career advice" ?? I never heard that before ?!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but most people just don't get career advice, there are no career guidance counselors. At least not for a large portion of the population. People like you get a support system and a 250,000 meal ticket to an education path. For the rest of us we are stuck in this magical world of limbo living 100 above the poverty line and 30,000 short of an education. Meaning that you make too much money to qualify for financial aid and do not have the potential to pay back any student loans.

If you don't mind me asking, henriInCary, where did you get your advice, education, job?

abundant 100,000 a year computer engineer jobs? Sure......

Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 940,308 times
Quote:
THANK YOU for all the advice and compassion.

Next months rent -- god willing -- will now be able to be paid; My sister has finally been paid by her evasive client and I got more on my check then I expected. Plus tips and my supervisor awarded me an additional 5 dollars for "exceptional work".

The search for a secondary source of income continues.
Excellent! Keep it up.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM

Well i went and talked to the union people. They are only going to take less then 10 dollars out of my check each week, so this is very good.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM

254 posts, read 598,346 times
When you interviewed for this company did they even mention a union? This is a store, so that is not a usual thing. I would contact HR for info on the union and see what their policy is on the store and and that you didn't know that you were automatically entered into the union. This may also be a scam. Ask your HR for the name and number of the union, and their local union number. Tell HR what is going on. If they say it is automatic then it should have been in writing. Did you sign an employee hiring contract? Get that sorted out.
What kind of job does your sister do where people are disappearing? Sounds fishy to me. I don't want to say your sister is scamming you too, but maybe she is into something that is scamming her.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM

My dad thinks it's a scam as well. I went to the union today, so I know that they are real people. They told me that the store is a union one so I have to be a member of the union to work there or I get kicked to the side of the road.

I barely remember the interview. It was about 5 minutes long, and I asked more questions then the interviewer. After I was hired the only thing that were stressed was the dress code.

The first time I started to hear about a union was when I was on break and a senior checker told me that I should join it. She told me this a second time sometime later. So it made it seem like I had some sort of choice. Recently I learned that she is some sort of "chaplain" for the union. That makes things odd, since she should have known that you get auto-joined and that this was a union store.

In hindsight it's not to surprising considering how everything is so vastly out of order at this store, and how clueless the supervisors are (they don't know how to do anything, and they don't even understand how to process our checks). Just to give you an example; Firstly I was hired at a different sore than the one I work at. I was told to go to the store I am currently working at for orientation at 9:00 AM. I go there at 9:00 AM, meet the manager there. He looks me up and down and says "You weren't supposed to be here until 10:30" and then added an unsympathetic "Sorry". So after an hour and thirty minutes of reading magazines I go back. Get handled off to some other woman and get tossed into a cramped room and watch 5 hours worth of training videos on ancient computers. This process took up to 7 hours because the ancient computers kept crashing. Some clueless "technician" came in and started blowing dust out of them with his breath claiming that the dust was the problem. The computers continued to malfunction. The training videos were made made in the 90's and gave out largely inaccurate information. I found better videos (on bagging) on youtube.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,313,436 times
Quote:
My dad thinks it's a scam as well. I went to the union today, so I know that they are real people. They told me that the store is a union one so I have to be a member of the union to work there or I get kicked to the side of the road.
This store sounds really strange(this union too), when you joined the union(usually 90 days after hire) you should have received a contract book which would list company rules, union dues and how they are paid, what workers are paid, etc.. You should have a union rep AT the store that can answer any questions or find the answers.

How did your Boss pay you "extra" for good work?

Supervisors don't usually "process" checks, persons in Payroll do, they look at the timeclock logs and enter that info into their payroll program.

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 03-24-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 03:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,313,436 times
Quote:
Well i went and talked to the union people. They are only going to take less then 10 dollars out of my check each week, so this is very good.
How are the union people changing what your dues are? Dues are in your contract.

Our General Labor people make more than you and those are considered entry level jobs and those people usually move on to higher paying positions, we have NO part-time workers, everyone is 40hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment