Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 922 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever experienced this problem? For example, I've given many basic suggestions about how I wouldn't be so busy with work if we changed the process a little. Basic suggetions like, consolidate all the feedback I need in a single document instead of 100 emails per week. Instead of changing the process, they just hire on another junior-level person to do the same thing I do. This makes things more hectic, so they hire another project manager to supposedly reduce the hecticness. Many workers are losing hours of productivity every day because they need new hardware on their computer that only costs a couple hundred dollars. For some strange reason, they hire an additional HR person because the current fleet of HR personell supposedly has too much work on their plate. Now, supposedly, there's no money for getting our computers to run more efficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
A lot of places are resistant to change and have poor priorities. The place I work hired an HR person when I can think of a lot of places that desperately need more workers that actually do useful work.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:05 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppingbottles View Post
Has anyone ever experienced this problem? For example, I've given many basic suggestions about how I wouldn't be so busy with work if we changed the process a little. Basic suggetions like, consolidate all the feedback I need in a single document instead of 100 emails per week. Instead of changing the process, they just hire on another junior-level person to do the same thing I do. This makes things more hectic, so they hire another project manager to supposedly reduce the hecticness. Many workers are losing hours of productivity every day because they need new hardware on their computer that only costs a couple hundred dollars. For some strange reason, they hire an additional HR person because the current fleet of HR personell supposedly has too much work on their plate. Now, supposedly, there's no money for getting our computers to run more efficiently.
How do you propose the above be achieved?

Sure, not everyone is in the position to make those changes. But just going off the info you provided. Who is going to consolidate said feedback? It makes your life easier, but it may make someone else's harder. So in that sense, you haven't really solved anything. You've simply moved the problem around. Which would make sense why it wasn't acted upon.

Again, I'm just going by what you provided.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Why don't you develop the solution and then share it with your manager. Do you have access to a tool like SharePoint?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Think about it from an ownership/management perspective:

They have an X amount of employees. Every single employee has an "input" on how to make things smoother. And almost all of that feedback goes something like this: "I/department would be more efficient if the company would invest a small amount of money in x,y,z."

Now multiply all those "suggestions" times the number of employees times each of those "small investments" and you can easily see how listening to feedback can get pretty expensive. Same goes for the feedback from vendors and customers.

I as an owner have yet to have an employee tell me how much more productive they can be without me investing more money into that productivity.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Most businesses are crapily managed. But I'll bet you don't know the whole story.

Humans will exhibit whatever behavior is rewarded. Likely your bosses are managed poorly.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I once mentioned to my manager how we're spending all this money paying for a certain product that we just buy bulk sum of this product and it will save us hundreds over time. He said it's hard to justify the purchase until there's a request and need. I asked our purchasing agent how much did we pay for this product, I found out that we actually over-pay than the listed price. The company we purchase from was over-charging us and I brought it to my manager and they had to correct the prices of invoices. Eventually the company changed to another company for supplies. This is the kind of crap I see in many offices is that there are inefficiencies everywhere if you look closely. It doesn't affect my paycheck but if companies reward workers for helping them keep their spending under control they would be better off.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:32 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Most places are like this. It is rare to have feedback from the line workers implemented by management. Often change won't come until it costs money, and even then it's often weighed down in red tape and bureaucracy.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
I saw the same kind of inefficiencies in the government as well. To order anything I had to get three price quotes from three separate vendors, and submit it to management which would make perfect sense if the item was over a certain dollar amount, but to pay my contract rate of around $100 a hour to price out something that cost $10, the most they would save a few dollars, but they spent $100 of my time to save those few dollars.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:17 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppingbottles View Post
I have made the same suggestion about the 100 emails a week where I work, also to no effect. It's impossible to keep up with anything, because every time you want to check information you have to dig through your email for it, and hope you are finding the latest version with the most recent feedback and not an earlier email. And don't even get me started on HR. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment