Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:38 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

I know there was a thread for "Would you work for a company that did something that you were morally opposed to?". This one is, more like "If your company started all of a sudden to do something you were morally opposed to, and I mean STRONGLY morally opposed to, or if you found out that they had been doing said thing for a while now, would you resign, even if you didn't have another job lined up, or if you did, but it might mean a pay cut?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
I oppose taxes but I work for the govt, shocking isn't it?

Guess I will just have to retire and take back my taxes via pension later...

Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
yes

Old 03-24-2016, 03:44 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
With my license, I owe a fiduciary duty to protect the interests of the public. This loyalty overrides duty to the employer. So for example, if the financial integrity of my company was compromised, I would absolutely seek to remove myself from the situation and at least anonymously report it in detail. I worked too damn hard and sacrificed too many years of life to tie my fate to the fate of a company that is defrauding the public.

If it was in matters outside of financial integrity, I would consider the situation and start looking for a new job. I wouldn't quit immediately if they had policies in place that I considered immoral until I had secured a soft landing for myself and my family.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:25 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
I would. My conscious wouldn't allow me to continue supporting the company.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Morality means different things to different people. I would not want to work for a company that promotes or contributes to anything that is illegal, intentionally rips people off, or otherwise lacks integrity. When it comes to things like political or religious beliefs, attitudes toward gender identification, global warming, or other personal preferences, each employee is entitled to their own views, and the corporate culture doesn't matter to me as long as it's not shoved in my face. I can disagree with other employees and my superiors and still do my job.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Here is a possible scenario: You work at Disney. You were NOT one of those laid off but happened to know that Disney was harming those Americans and lying through the teeth to the press about H1B visas the whole time and the "lack of talent" in America. Would you quit rather than try and feign loyalty to a company that you knew would jip and anyone else for a quick buck and had no conscience?

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 03-24-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 06:04 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Here is a possible scenario: You work at Disney. You were NOT one of those laid off but happened to know that Disney was harming those Americans and lying through the teeth to the press about H1B visas the whole time and the "lack of talent" in America. Would you quit rather than try and feign loyalty to a company that you knew would ********* and anyone else for a quick buck and had no conscience?
I was thinking about this in relation to my job which is a small company in the medical field where it's not just morals, but also ethics and my license. If this happened, yes I would absolutely quit without a second thought.

For the above scenario, Disney is a huge corporation, it would probably depend on what I do for work. If I'm playing Snow White and barely scraping by, no I wouldn't just up and quit. I would start looking for a new job and then I would quit.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:06 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
if i liked the job, why not stay? if i feared losing the job, then i would switch...
this isnt a moral issue to me...

just like illegal conduct is a legal issue and not a moral issue... disney did not break any laws. i have no objection to them, and it comes down to if i like job and can see a future in it. i would be asking this at any other job too. even without h1b...

im with hemlock on this one

Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I know there was a thread for "Would you work for a company that did something that you were morally opposed to?". This one is, more like "If your company started all of a sudden to do something you were morally opposed to, and I mean STRONGLY morally opposed to, or if you found out that they had been doing said thing for a while now, would you resign, even if you didn't have another job lined up, or if you did, but it might mean a pay cut?"
If I was morally opposed to something - as much as I would love to resign, I couldn't afford to. I would need to have a job lined up. I would take a small pay cut, but nothing too dramatic. At the end of the day - as much as I might hate the fact they are doing something, I also need to be able to pay my bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment