Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: From your point of view, which theory best fit how your company is managed?
X 5 29.41%
Y 7 41.18%
Z 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:41 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

If you don't know about XYZ theories of management, please read the following links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_X_and_Theory_Y

Quote:
Theory X considers that on the whole, workers dislike their work, and have little inherent motivation to perform well. Therefore, if organizational goals are to be met, 'Theory X' managers must rely heavily on detailed rules and instructions, on close monitoring, and on the threat of punishment to gain employee compliance. When practiced, this theory can lead to mistrust, highly restrictive supervision and a punitive atmosphere. The 'Theory X' manager believes that all actions should be traced and the responsible individual given a direct reward or a reprimand according to the action's outcomes. This managerial style is more effective when used to motivate a workforce that is not inherently motivated to perform. It is usually exercised in professions where promotion is infrequent, unlikely or even impossible and where workers perform repetitive tasks. A flaw of this management style is that it limits the employee's potential and discourages creative thinking.
Quote:
Theory Y, in contrast, is based on the belief that, given appropriate working conditions, most people perform well. The worker is considered as the most important asset of the company. It is believed that workers can derive satisfaction from their physical and mental work, viewing it as a game or as something to be enjoyed. Workers can take responsibility and can solve problems in a creative way, so that they do not need to be shadowed constantly; workers will commit to objectives in proportion to the satisfaction they get from achieving them. Thus, Theory Y managers consider that to achieve the objectives of the company, they must treat each worker as a mature and responsible individual, and adopt a style of participatory, democratic leadership, based on self-direction and self-control and requiring little external control.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_Z

Quote:
For Ouchi, Theory Z focused on increasing employee loyalty to the company by providing a job for life with a strong focus on the well-being of the employee, both on and off the job. According to Ouchi, Theory Z management tends to promote stable employment, high productivity, and high employee morale and satisfaction.
From your point of view, which theory best fit how your company is run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Theory Z here.

It's a Union job with a ton of "lifers". One guy has been here since 1974.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Theory R. Random jumps between all of the above. Sometimes simultaneously. Along with periodic changes from micromanagement to delegation and back again.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
My current company some combination of Y and Z. My previous lousy job and the majority of large companies that employ people in my profession definate X. Though It is not that workers dislike their work, they dislike working for companies that treat them like crap and offer them no reason to be motivated. It is like a self-fullfilling prophacy. Mutual distrust.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:06 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Didn't know Y And Z existed anymore.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 PM

213 posts, read 204,847 times
A mild X.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
my company none of them

Old 04-09-2016, 04:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Our company is Y.

Our main client is X up the wazzoo.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 AM

505 posts, read 502,346 times
I work for Hilton and they are fully Y, but that also might depend on the GM of the particular property you work at.

So let me rephrase: I work for Hilton and my GM for the property I work at is fully Y.

I previously worked at a "boutique" hotel in downtown Bend (they were prideful of their high national rating on TripAdvisor), but management was horrid to employees. Workplace gossip is commonplace, in my opinion, but management at this hotel would consistently participate and make management decisions based on petty gossip. So it was a breath of fresh air to work for a huge hotel corporation but have management so devoted to the employee and the importance of our work.

Last edited by ajams22; 04-10-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:48 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
I don't give a damn as to management, if the paychecks keep coming and the work is easy, I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment