Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,271 times

Advertisements

So here's the situation......

Monday I started a new job, I actually got the job by chance I just went in to pay my rent at the apt complex I'm in and the front office liked my charisma and bubbly personality and asked if I wanted to work in the office. I was like sure why not gas is high I can walk to work....

So the girl that was suppose to train me her last two weeks ( starting this past monday) called out cause her car broke down on monday. So my boss gave a crash and burn example of what to do literally a 5 min okay here you do this this and this and here are the passwords.. That was my first day..

Second day the trainer says she might have mono , pneumonia and might be preg and having a misscarriage.. see where this is going? So once again , crash and burn throws paper work at me.. Doesn't even show me the ORDER that I should be faxing in the paperwork or putting it together and throws me in it.. Now its just me and her (the boss) in this office. It should be run by at least 4 people min.. But the head people won't get them in there.. The property btw is 216 units big

Then the send someone over from another property to "train" me for one day.. The girl comes over barely speaks english and was suppose to teach me how to make a lease and have is signed. She spoke spanish the whole time to the person signing the lease.. I said a few times I DO NOT speak spanish and all I got was okay okay,,and back to spanish.. So I said forget it and went and faxed. My boss knew she was sitting right there at her desk and when I mentioned it she was like yeah whats up with that. I mean wtf whats is she should have been like hey english please.

So now the lady who was suppose to train me isn't coming back.. The whole week I've had 2 half days of "training" and then on the fourth day (Saturday) they left me alone to run the whole apt complex and office by myself. They gave me cell numbers and were like call if you have questions and slammed the door behind them.

So this weekend my bosses grandmother dies, and today she comes in an hour late, no phone call I'm sitting there by myself wondering where she is. Finally she comes in notifies me she doesn't want to deal with residents or anything to day and shuts her office door and literally just cries in her office all day. I feel bad but come on if you are that distraught don't come to work. So not once did she answer the phones today, at one point I must of had 10-15 people in the lobby wanting to see prices, and go see apts and having issues with this and that, and she closed her blinds and didnt do a damn thing, not answer one question, not even pick up the phone. I'd come back from showing apartments and she'd tell me to check the phone messages.. she notified me today she'll be flying out of town on Thurs and wont' be here to run the office and its up to me.. by myself after 5 days.

So what do I do, I spend my days dreading going in and I don't sleep at night because I'm so stressed about the next day and what going to come my way. I feel horrible quitting after 5 days but there is no light at the end of this tunnel.. I've talked to the boss and all that and I'm not an idiot I can do paperwork but not if its not shown how its done. I'm seriously thinking about telling her its just not working out for me. I dont' even **** to work out the two weeks.. What should I do.. what would YOU do/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,447,303 times
That sounds like a mess. I know that apartment complexes have a very high turnover rate. I know what I would do, and maybe that's because I have zero tolerance after 31 years of working, but I would walk right out that door and not look back.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
That sounds like a mess. I know that apartment complexes have a very high turnover rate. I know what I would do, and maybe that's because I have zero tolerance after 31 years of working, but I would walk right out that door and not look back.

I'm close, very close.. and I'm just getting back to work after 4 years of not working due to health reasons and this is my first job back and I know I'm a bit rusty around the edges but come on I'm not THAT bad. Its not even a matter of me not getting it, its a matter of it not being shown to me. The girl who was suppose to train me just got hired in early july.. so she's barely been there herself.. I see why now. What company doesn't have a training program in place, why should I have to look like an idiot because she called into work her last two weeks. The whole situation is a mess. Should I even put that I am working on new apps I fill out considering I'm going to have to give my notice I can't work in that kind of enviornment.. And I can't work at a place I live the residents see me walking to my car and it doesn't matter how much I tell them I'm off work they're insistant in telling me everything wrong with their apts.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut_express View Post
I'm close, very close.. and I'm just getting back to work after 4 years of not working due to health reasons and this is my first job back and I know I'm a bit rusty around the edges but come on I'm not THAT bad. Its not even a matter of me not getting it, its a matter of it not being shown to me. The girl who was suppose to train me just got hired in early july.. so she's barely been there herself.. I see why now. What company doesn't have a training program in place, why should I have to look like an idiot because she called into work her last two weeks. The whole situation is a mess. Should I even put that I am working on new apps I fill out considering I'm going to have to give my notice I can't work in that kind of enviornment.. And I can't work at a place I live the residents see me walking to my car and it doesn't matter how much I tell them I'm off work they're insistant in telling me everything wrong with their apts.
The one calling in sick doesn't want you to learn your job, or HER job. She wants to make you look incompetent.
Keep looking for another job. Think of this as a temporary hell and nothing more. The boss doesn't care enough to have someone even train you in English.....

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Simply put, they are so messed up they don't even care. I wouldn't even bother putting it down as even working there. You won't even be there that long for it to matter.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,944,124 times
I think your time would be better spent looking for the right job instead of wasting it there. The longer you are there, the harder it will be to leave. Cut your losses and quit letting them waste your time. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I think your time would be better spent looking for the right job instead of wasting it there. The longer you are there, the harder it will be to leave. Cut your losses and quit letting them waste your time. Good luck.
I agree there is a job fair on thursday I want to go to.. How would I go about doing this, just say to my manager hey its not working out for me yadda yadda and I'd rather not stay anymore... I've never had to do this before and I'd like to remain on good terms as I have to live here still and probably deal with them in the office..Ugh what a mess lol!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,728,224 times
Tell her that if you don't get trained properly you don't feel like you will be able to do the job well.

Also, you don't own this mess, the manager does. It's more her problem than yours, so don't feel like it's your responsibility for the shape the office is in. When residents complain about something you shouldn't handle, let them know that you'll pass their issue along to somebody who can. I know this is easier said than done, but you shouldn't have to lose sleep over this.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I agree there is a job fair on thursday I want to go to.. How would I go about doing this, just say to my manager hey its not working out for me yadda yadda and I'd rather not stay anymore... I've never had to do this before and I'd like to remain on good terms as I have to live here still and probably deal with them in the office..Ugh what a mess lol!
I feel for you with your living there and everything. What an awkward situation! Good luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 PM

658 posts, read 832,434 times
Tell the boss you want double the money or you walk RIGHT NOW. And make it retroactive to your first day. At least give her a chance to feel it in the pocket and maybe get a sense of how hard this is for you. Double the money or you're gone, no further notice. If she has a sense of urgency, and she is desperate, I bet she goes for it. But whether you just quit or get turned down on the raise, you save your sanity and free up your time for finding something a more conducive to sane work in the English language, with ACTUAL training instead of barking an Espanol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment