Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times

Advertisements

Speak to your boss again. Tell her that you came in when she (the boss) was very short staffed and that the office is in a state of transition; that you know the bosses personal loss of her grandmother made this time even more difficult.

Then tell her that because of these factors you haven't received adequate training to do your job well. That this is absolutely necessary for you to do the job. Let her know that you have been completely stressed out to the point of not sleeping because you've been trying to do the job without really having learned how to do it appropriately. Let her know that for your own well-being as well as the functioning of the business you need better training right away. Ask her how soon she expects to hire additional support staff. Also, let her know that having residents approach you repeatedly on your off time has compounded the stress.

If she doesn't come up with good answers about her plan to address these needs, start looking for another job right away.

Many bosses remain clueless or uncaring. Hopefully you can get through to her. Good luck and best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Question for you. If you are working in the office don't you get rent free if you live in that apartment complex?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
I'm very curious as to what city you are in, and/or what management company has such terrible administration?????

Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 25,755 times
Wow...sounds a lot like my first month as a leasing consultant. The girl that was suppose to train me went into labor my second day, my manager was brand new as well, and the company was too short staffed to help us out. It sucked. On top of that the company purchased a Section 8 apartment building (my complex was market rent) only 2 months after working there and expected me to help out with that. Right...I didn't know what I was doing in the first place! It wasn't until someone from HR stepped in and said I needed to be properly trained ASAP b/c if I messed up the company could get sued or worse I could! That's a point I would bring up. Discrimination is such a big deal in that industry, and there are people who "shop" you just to see if you'll mess up. I don't know how large your company is, but is there a property director (or someone above your direct manager) you could talk to?

On the other hand, if you do end up being properly trained it can be a fun job. I can probably help you out with general questions if you really want to "tough it out."

PG77: you don't always get free rent. I did however receive a 40% discount off of my apartment.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Speak to your boss again. Tell her that you came in when she (the boss) was very short staffed and that the office is in a state of transition; that you know the bosses personal loss of her grandmother made this time even more difficult.

Then tell her that because of these factors you haven't received adequate training to do your job well. That this is absolutely necessary for you to do the job. Let her know that you have been completely stressed out to the point of not sleeping because you've been trying to do the job without really having learned how to do it appropriately. Let her know that for your own well-being as well as the functioning of the business you need better training right away. Ask her how soon she expects to hire additional support staff. Also, let her know that having residents approach you repeatedly on your off time has compounded the stress.

If she doesn't come up with good answers about her plan to address these needs, start looking for another job right away.

Many bosses remain clueless or uncaring. Hopefully you can get through to her. Good luck and best wishes!
Fantastic advice. It's all professional, factual, non-emotional, and not finger pointing.

Keep it calm and positive. Don't attack.

They know the outcome is either give you the training & tools to be successful or they are looking for their next replacement.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post

This is great advice!!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJ236 View Post
PG77: you don't always get free rent. I did however receive a 40% discount off of my apartment.
Ok. Just wondered because my niece has done this in the past and had a free apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment