Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times

Advertisements

Well you can try it to see if its " ideal" exercise. If it walking all day you might hate it within a few days. Really its harder on the body than it look, wait till ad days, those supermarkets ads that you need to carry on your strap all day it sucks.

In my area they will take any able body willing to put with 6 days per week, and never having 2 days off and every Sunday mandatory unless your limbs falls off. Needless to say during interviews, they make it seems like its hardly a tough schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Being a new postal employee involves so much more than just walking. You spend a lot of time sorting and hauling the many packages people now order via Amazon. Packages can be very heavy. And without a day off to rest and recuperate your body's tolerance for this type of physical work can decline fast. I had no idea that a business like the Post Office could require someone to work 7 days a week but I guess they can. You have zero protection as a postal contract employee that any illness or family emergency is cause for immediate termination.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Some people will always find an excuse to be miserable.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:45 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Some people will always find an excuse to be miserable.
I would have thought by page 7 the junior high posts would have been long gone. Thanks for those who have contributed something worth a dime here. This thread has runs it course unless the poster above has another grand input.

Last edited by 87112; 05-11-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Being a new postal employee involves so much more than just walking. You spend a lot of time sorting and hauling the many packages people now order via Amazon. Packages can be very heavy. And without a day off to rest and recuperate your body's tolerance for this type of physical work can decline fast. I had no idea that a business like the Post Office could require someone to work 7 days a week but I guess they can. You have zero protection as a postal contract employee that any illness or family emergency is cause for immediate termination.
Blame the USPS for setting up expensive pension plans and union workers encouraging bad postal workers to remain on the workforce so all new USPS contract workers are pulling the weight.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:43 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Blame the USPS for setting up expensive pension plans and union workers encouraging bad postal workers to remain on the workforce so all new USPS contract workers are pulling the weight.
The pension plan is the federal employees plan. The postal service exist to continue a set of payments to the government's general fund to offset the current payouts to retired postal workers

CCAs and PSEs are not contract employees, they are temporary employees, the senior one in a district receives a career position when one becomes available

Old 10-28-2016, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,521 times
I just quit the post office as CCA today. I just had to walk out. Working every single day of the week. I couldn't catch a break. That heavenly call every once in a while saying I had the day off was spent catching up on housework and any grocery or household shopping I couldn't get done working 10+ hours a day. I was lied to from day 1. I was told during my interview with the post master that Amazon deliveries on Sunday were rotated out so we only worked one or two Sundays a month. I was ok with that. After 7 months, I had 1 Sunday off. I couldn't handle it anymore. Today was the last straw. It used to be a great company to work for. Starting wage close to $20-$25/ hr and getting Sundays and holidays off was reduced to $16/hr and working 7 days a week. I live in the Seattle area. People at Starbucks make $15/ hr and have flexible schedules. Yeah the paychecks with all the overtime were nice, but there needs to be a balance between work and life. The USPS is not a good company to work for anymore.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
USPS is extremely situational based on your local COL.

The 'one giant union' makes absolutely no sense for the post office- but the majority of long vested employees don't want to give up what they've got.

They need to compartmentalize based on metropolitan regions.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:35 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
The attrition rate is so high among City Carrier Assistants that the Los Angeles and other districts are trying a one day ride along before spending the time and money to train new employees. With the one national wage in higher cost of living areas the rewards are not great enough for the working conditions.

And once critical mass is passed conditions deteriorate so that 12 or more hours a day six days a week has been forced on 20 year veterans in Los Angeles the past two weeks despite every manual and regulations stating that 12 hours a day and 60 hours a week is the limit

Old 10-29-2016, 06:28 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
It is a bad job, but last time I checked you could be a mailman without any college. It seems they mostly take who they can get because it's physical labor. I don't know about any where else, but in NJ they've mostly cut the hours and retirement packages for newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment