Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:47 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,566,341 times

Advertisements

It's a hard cutoff at $47,476? So if you were making $47k, they can just bump you to $47,500 and no OT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,726,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It's a hard cutoff at $47,476? So if you were making $47k, they can just bump you to $47,500 and no OT?
Of course they can do that if those employees are salaried and I am sure many employers will. But also, not everyone making over that threshold is a salaried employee and no one is saying they should all be salaried or are required to be.

The new law is not an end all, be all to change everything for every salaried employee. However, it will change things drastically for millions of employees currently salaried and below that threshold.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,271,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If you were making $47K per year, and were classified as "Exempt Salaried" (i.e. exempt from overtime pay requirement), and your job duties met the requirements to be classified as Exempt; then yes, the employer could just bump your pay up above the new threshold. You would get a little more money, but they could still avoid paying overtime.

This is what I think could happen in a lot of situations where employees are a little under the new salary threshold, but are currently classified as Exempt. Especially in cases where the employee is subject to working a significant amount of overtime.

There are a lot of lower-level professional, administrative, and managerial employees, especially in lower-wage regions, who could be impacted by this. It's not just food service and retail managers.

Last edited by ged_782; 05-19-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 12:19 PM

221 posts, read 184,539 times
At the risk of sounding like a Negative Ned, I'm thinking that an unintended consequence of this new law will be the elimination of a good number of lower paid jobs which will be affected by this legislation. This will also force the higher paid ($47,476k+/yr) employees to pick up the extra workload for no extra pay as a result of those layoffs.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,389,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If you were making $47K per year, and were classified as "Exempt Salaried" (i.e. exempt from overtime pay requirement), and your job duties met the requirements to be classified as Exempt; then yes, the employer could just bump your pay up above the new threshold. You would get a little more money, but they could still avoid paying overtime.

This is what I think could happen in a lot of situations where employers are a little under the new salary threshold, but are currently classified as Exempt. Especially in cases where the employee is subject to working a significant amount of overtime.

There are a lot of lower-level professional, administrative, and managerial employees, especially in lower-wage regions, who could be impacted by this. It's not just food service and retail managers.
If I recall, the current threshold pay is around $26,600. So a salaried employee making $30,000 who works 50 hours a week could just see her hours cut to 40/week while still maintaining the same pay. Of course the employer could just pay the time-and-a-half for the extra two hours per day that person works (assuming a M-F schedule), rather than cutting the hours.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:38 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,726,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Pieces of Flair View Post
At the risk of sounding like a Negative Ned, I'm thinking that an unintended consequence of this new law will be the elimination of a good number of lower paid jobs which will be affected by this legislation. This will also force the higher paid ($47,476k+/yr) employees to pick up the extra workload for no extra pay as a result of those layoffs.
^Glass half empty analogy.

Glass half full analogy> It could easily create MORE jobs if the employer doesn't want to pay OT to the newly designated hourly positions with the new threshold. They will need to hire new employees to pick up the slack that the previously salaried employee had worked if they don't want to pay any OT.

I would also think that most salaried employees making over the $47,476 have completely different jobs and responsibilities than the currently salaried employees who will be affected by the new law.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:43 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,006,682 times
My pay went up $50 a week with 15 less hours I need to be at work each work with a bump down to hourly. They are already kicking me out there door after 8 hours worked. No complaints here.

Its nice to actually have a LIFE again. You don't get the same benefits being hourly but you're not a slave to the corrupt machine like salaried employees are.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:04 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,271,720 times
It's interesting to note that three professions do not have to meet the minimum salary requirement to be classified as Exempt: Doctors, lawyers and teachers.

Doctors and lawyers are almost always going to be compensated above the going minimum salary to be classified as Exempt. Teachers are another story, especially lesser-experienced teachers. And teachers often complain of having to devote many hours outside the classroom performing work-related duties, like grading papers, preparing lesson plans, attending conferences and meetings, etc. Last I saw, average teacher annual salary in the U.S. was $56K, not a whole lot above the new threshold for exempt classification.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:24 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,072,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Where is it completely useless? No one said anyone is suppose to live on $47,476 a year in NYC so not sure where you are even getting that from.
The law is useless because it is maintaining a class of employees (including myself if I was working in NYC) who are not even being paid a living wage, based on the local cost of living, but are still expected to work 24/7/365 without being paid for overtime. No exempt employees are paid less than $47,476 here.

Quote:
It is creating a new threshold for millions of employees in the U.S. who are now designated and compensated as salaried and making less than $47,476 who will now be hourly employees and compensated for OT. Many of those employees who are currently salaried making less than $47,476 could very well be averaging less than minimum wage depending on how many total hours they end up working per week.
It is perfectly legal in my field to work so many hours that our hourly pay is below minimum wage. We make more than $47,476, so the new law doesn't help us.

Quote:
And sure employers are going to find a work-a-round by hiring extra employees so they don't have to pay the newly designated hourly employees OT however, at least the newly designated hourly employees will no longer be worked to death for next to nothing and can also seek out other PT jobs to increase their pay if needed.
But people like myself can still be legally worked to death.

What bugs me the most is that now politicians will take credit for supporting the middle class, when $47,476 is not even close to a middle class salary in the NYC area.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Of course they can do that if those employees are salaried and I am sure many employers will. But also, not everyone making over that threshold is a salaried employee and no one is saying they should all be salaried or are required to be.

The new law is not an end all, be all to change everything for every salaried employee. However, it will change things drastically for millions of employees currently salaried and below that threshold.
Some people tend to have the view that if you can't make something perfect, don't bother improving it at all. That's when "the perfect" becomes the enemy of "the good."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment