Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 PM

268 posts, read 648,923 times

Advertisements

Is it better to have worked, gained valuable experience and been fired than to have not worked or gained any experience at all?

People including myself are afraid of being fired. How will I ever work again and who will hire me with this on my record... But the more I think about it the more I realize I have learned SO Much over the past year.

So why should I be afraid of being fired if I have gained such good experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Why do you go into a job expecting to be fired? Assuming you didn't lie about your capabilities there is no reason to think the new employer doesn't want you to succeed.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Experience doesn't count for much if you were not successful at doing the work (fired). Why are you afraid of being fired? Are you unable to do the work? How long have you been at the job? Many people become frustrated and fearful the first few months until they are fully trained and comfortable with the work.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
There's a difference between being laid off and being fired. Are you afraid of being FIRED (most people are only fired for being derelict in their duties or having a lot of rule infractions), or just losing your job?

I've been both - fired in 1992 from a job after 11 months for dereliction, and laid off from a job in 2009. Both times I was able to work afterwards and not have it negatively impact my employment possibilities.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
How will I ever work again and who will hire me with this on my record?
With what on your record?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Do you plan on getting fired?
That could be your problem.
PLan on doing your best and learn the job the way the boss says thing are to be done .
Don't horse around, even if every one else is/does , especially because they might have the system wired and you don't.
There are folks that are very competitive and might lead you astray so you do fail, so be your own man, and take responsibility for you self .
As times get tougher coworkers get more competitive .
Don't go out with them after work, don't socialize with them continue learning your job and strive to learn other related jobs in the company AFTER you have perfected your primary function your hired there for.
After you've been in the business long enough to know your way around , then slowly mingle with coworkers but not before.
If something sounds shady it probably is ,avoid it. Other people don't care about your future , you are the only one that must think for your self.
Lastly , leave work at work and home at home. Thoughts about work are OK while going to work ,but thoughts about work while going home invites too much stress. do not bring work home if you can help it . If it's something you must learn on your own work related, find a restaurant and make it your study hall , but don't bring work home.
Work is not your wife/husband , it is work and there are plenty of other ways to make a living and don't be afraid of venturing into better fields more suited to you. Don't pick hobbies as a job , after a while that hobby is no longer restful and becomes a drudgery .
There are exceptions , but don't start making exceptions for to your self while young, it's a dangerous path.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:06 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,436,648 times
People switch jobs a lot these days so working for 1-2 years and then moving on is not a huge deal.

But working for a few weeks and getting fired is bad...better to have not worked those few weeks (so leave it out of your resume).

Old 08-31-2015, 11:35 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,891 times
No. Whenever you feel your on the brink of being fired always quit beforehand. That saves face. You never want to explain to future interviewer that you were fired from a job. Atleast with your recent jobs anyway.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:33 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Is it better to have worked, gained valuable experience and been fired than to have not worked or gained any experience at all?

People including myself are afraid of being fired. How will I ever work again and who will hire me with this on my record... But the more I think about it the more I realize I have learned SO Much over the past year.

So why should I be afraid of being fired if I have gained such good experience?
Absolutely IMO. The key word there is "valuable". And this is assuming that YOU perceived the experience as being valuable - as opposed to what you think others value. So in the end, you still got something out of it. And hopefully can be of use down the road.

And this is going to sound cliche: There'a a lot of reasons people get fired. Some are performance based, some aren't. In both cases, you've learned something IMO. Ultimately, I rather have failed and learned than to not have tried anything in fear of that failure. Which, sounds to me, is your concern (fear of failure).

I think one of the bigger factors for success is not being afraid to fail.

This isn't to say you willy nilly your way through things - but taking risks is part of life.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Let's see. Is it better to have worked and accumulated some cash before getting fired or not worked at all and earned $0?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment