Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 AM

472 posts, read 438,450 times

Advertisements

Does your state offer any sort of Medical Assistance for those in your situation that due to whatever reason have a low monthly income? I know that when I lost a past job I was able to get my state's MA until I got another job because I was making under $1300/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 12:06 AM

35 posts, read 64,821 times
Thanks to everyone, again. As of right now, I'm approved for unemployment (it's a pittance, but it's still better than nothing), and I've managed to get Medicaid and SNAP. Hopefully I can get a job within a couple of months and be able to move on from this experience soon.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:31 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Before you file for unemployment, go to the Unemployment sub-forum here on city data and ask for assistance Before you apply. You'll be surprised how many people had easy wins but ended up with nothing just because they did and said the one wrong thing. There is the right way to apply and proceed and there are thousands of wrong ways; most pick the wrong way and only seek help after they dug their own grave.
I agree with this.

As an overview, unemployment for the OP isn't a big deal. You file for it, and either get it or not. If you don't get it, you go to arbitration. Just make sure you are prepared by asking questions in the Unemployment forum section. Many times the employer doesn't even show up to arbitration and you easily win. It costs you nothing to do this, and just continue to appeal it if needed.

For what it's worth, unemployment arbitration isn't of public record. It isn't like going to court. So your name isn't going to appear in a Google search about unemployment like it would if you took the employer to court for some reason.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
There was another thread recently regarding access to FSA after being fired and this is what I found doing a search:

"You usually have to spend the money in your Flexible Spending Account before you lose your job, or else you lose the remaining cash in the account. You can submit the paperwork even after you lose your job, as long as you incurred the expenses before your termination."

That's one reason I'll never have an FSA - between that and having to use every dime before year end or lose it, it's too much work for too little gain.
I hate FSAs and after using them one year, never again. It's a scam, that they can keep money you didn't use. It makes no sense for them to do that in the first place. It also wasn't worth it having to make sure all the money was exhausted before the end of the year. And it is very hard to have anticipated expenses. We decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Besides Unemployment, people need to pay very close attention to COBRA to make sure the company is sending out notifications to you in a timely manner so you aren't dropped from the policy. Also, not all policies are convertible to the employee such as Life Insurance, Long Term and Short Term Disability. Be prepared for the costs to go up without the employer's contribution.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
That is incorrect and the reason so many that are eligible for unemployment never see a penny. You do not have to prove your firing wasn't due to misconduct, Your employer has to prove that your termination was due to a disqualifying reason that meets the state's standards for the denial of benefits based on competent evidence!

You could steal money, slap your boss around, pee in the water cooler, crash a work truck, and take a healthy dump on the best client and you will still get benefits if the employer fails to show or fails to present a first person case supported by direct evidence of those acts of misconduct. Don't do the employers job for them.
Wise words. Many people after being fired are so abused from the experience they don't think they deserve spit so they act like they should be punished. People need to keep in mind that being fired isn't the end of the world, and being fired in most cases at the heart of it is a failing of the management and not the employee. With that thought in mind, proceed to look out for your best interests, because no one else is going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment