Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Your boss/bosses, coworkers, the job itself, the hours, the pay....

Find a new job. It's that simple. Treat job hunting as a second job. Make a goal of sending out five resumes every evening and you won't have to deal with your nasty boss/coworkers at that horrible job for much longer.
No it isn't that simple, took 7 months of serious hunting until I found a new job. Had to deal with all the BS of the old job for that timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
I began to hate my previous job six years ago when things got seriously worse following a layoff. I didn't do anything about it for a while because it seemed overwhelming to look for a job and I simply wasn't prepared for it. Three years later, having survived numerous nightmares at that company, I finally got my resume professionally done and began applying for jobs. It took yet another three years for me to get hired elsewhere. And yes, I complained about my job a lot in the meantime.

I guess my point is, it's not as simple as "I hate my job. I'll go somewhere else next week."

Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I hated my job the first day I started. 20 years later I'm still doing it. Sometimes you just got to do what you need to do to get the bills paid.
Wow. It must be sad to waste almost 1/3 of your life being miserable. If I were in your situation, I would have bailed out 19 years ago.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:25 AM

379 posts, read 255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Should aim for at least 10 a day I think, Unless in a very niche industry. It can be a numbers game in this economy and job market. People send out 100 or more and get just one or two interviews many times. Plus one has to filter out the scams, agencies ect.
This whole notion of sending out one hundred resumes for a next job is utterly ridiculous considering that there is likely not one person on earth suitable for 100 available jobs at any moment to which they can commute to by car or train for a reasonable commute time. People who might be able to apply to 100 jobs are likely low skilled workers that can simply fire off dozens upon dozens of applications to burger flipper, cashier, busboy, clothes folding, and bagel buttering jobs. Am I supposed to believe some guy is a lawyer, doctor, engineer, carpenter, electrician, chef, teacher, and pharmacist (and so on), wrapped into one, and that he has the necessary experience and credentials for each and every one of these 100 jobs.

When one has a job, the practical way to get out of it, is to apply to jobs that one is qualified for and can get to within a normal commute time, unless one likes sending resumes for the fun of it. Like we're supposed to believe that ten new jobs pop up everyday for the qualifications and commute distance of each and every job seeker. LMAO!

I crack up at the whole notion that unemployed people should spend eight hours per day, five days per week, sending out resumes, because, as we know, "getting a job is a job in itself," so they should therefore spend full-time work time sending out resumes. Let me know if you're not sending out resumes to McDonald's or The Gap after an hour or so of sending resumes out appropriately. Oh, but we can't forget about "networking" and "getting on phones", as if there all these damn events where employed people are gathering for fun to get unemployed people employed and that the average HR pro wants to be slammed with phone calls or day, or give's a rat's a--.

There's a reason why the modern average American hates work: people these days are utterly stupid, few people take pride in their work, and most modern day work is utterly pointless, and consists of nothing more than glorified data entry, filling out forms, and pushing information from point A to point B.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow. It must be sad to waste almost 1/3 of your life being miserable. If I were in your situation, I would have bailed out 19 years ago.
No one hates their job 100% of the time, there are moments in any hateful job that are bound to be pleasurable. I almost quit my job, 7 years ago, due to a dictatorial Director of Nurses, who was making everyone's life miserable. Glad I exercised patience!

The Director of Nurses the last 7 years has been a dream-come-true!

Old 06-21-2016, 05:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The danger is this: what if your new job is even worse? Sometimes it's better to stick with the devil you know vs the devil you don't know.
Pretty much. I don't like my job at all, but I do like the perks and pay, so why look for anything else?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:59 PM

449 posts, read 495,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, the OP is right. Some people, like my husband, complain about their job EVERY DAY but do nothing to change their situation. It's maddening.

I think it is either:

- they ENJOY being unhappy.
- they are terrified of change. Any change.
- It really isn't that bad, and they just want to complain.

Another reason you can add to that list is, they don't take self-responsibility. It is you the individual that chooses to remain at that job you supposedly hate so much but do nothing to change it--speaking in general.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:02 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Your boss/bosses, coworkers, the job itself, the hours, the pay....

Find a new job. It's that simple. Treat job hunting as a second job. Make a goal of sending out five resumes every evening and you won't have to deal with your nasty boss/coworkers at that horrible job for much longer.
......and then you find out the grass isn't greener and you rinse and repeat many times until your resume is almost comedic with so many job changes that it's difficult to explain.....and I say this from experience

It's why in 2009 I decided I had enough and went out on my own and never looked back. No more answering to someone you can never truly make happy. I yell at my boss all the time - I just look in the mirror.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:00 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
I agree with the OP,

However, to be fair it's not as if all you have to do is fire off resumes and within a week you will land a new job. There are some serious obstacles for most people like they need to earn a certain amount to survive, they can only commute so far or maybe they can't even commute at all, they can only work one certain shift, etc. These obstacles are some reasons as to why many have to stand pat for longer than they'd like.

And so it's pointless to apply for every single job you see just for an escape when the job ad is promoting a position that pays; half of what you currently make, extends your commute by half an hour, and requires you to work daytime when you can only work evenings.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Pretty much. I don't like my job at all, but I do like the perks and pay, so why look for anything else?
Whenever I start getting negative feelings at work I just remind myself I could be living in the homeless camp in the woods I pass everyday going to work.

The place I work has about 99% turnover, so unlike in most fields I do have some job security because it's hard to get people to show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment