Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times

Advertisements

So today I had lunch in downtown Seattle near the Amazon campus. Saw thousands of Amazon workers out for lunch.

Observations:

* Lots of good-looking women. Wow.
* Everyone has a confident demeanor. It's like they walk in a certain way that shows they're proud of where they work.
* Almost all the guys were dressed alike. There's a certain "tech worker" style that includes expensive t-shirts and rectangular rimmed glasses.
* No visible signs of "burn out" despite the notorious long hours of the company. Everyone looked healthy.

Makes me want to work somewhere like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:03 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Good looking = they are better at applying makeup/mask...

They still have same issues people have at other companies

Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
So today I had lunch in downtown Seattle near the Amazon campus. Saw thousands of Amazon workers out for lunch.

Observations:

* Everyone has a confident demeanor. It's like they walk in a certain way that shows they're proud of where they work.
* Almost all the guys were dressed alike. There's a certain "tech worker" style that includes expensive t-shirts and rectangular rimmed glasses.
* No visible signs of "burn out" despite the notorious long hours of the company. Everyone looked healthy.

I know nothing about Amazon, but have worked in some organizations where leadership ingrained pride and style into the workforce and in organizations where management beat everyone to death over trivia. Thing is, it wasn't the hours worked, but the quality of the work that helps avoid burnout and creates confidence. There is a difference in how you feel depending on where you work and who you work for.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:40 AM

104 posts, read 76,907 times
Having the approval of the feudalistic overlords can engender a certain confidence, but one can be certain the warehouse workers and delivery people aren't nearly so spry. For every "expensive t-shirt" upside, there is a horrific and hidden downside. So much of this "new economy" doesn't seem very new at all.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It's a different breed of employee. These are the cream of the crop who went to the best universities and studied the most in-demand cutting edge majors. They're not just good at what they do but are passionate about what they do. They don't see work as just something to bumble through and collect a paycheck.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
I have a thirtysomething relative who works at one of those lucrative companies (Silicon Valley location) as does her husband. They just seem pretty normal to me. They work more or less 40 hours so they can have quality family time. The main issue there is that the company has trouble keeping people due to the insanely high COL, so I think they give more perks in order to retain employees. That's not to say that it's a panacea in there. I think they are both loyal to the company and want to stay, but the promotion process is very bureaucratic and frustrating and it's not like they can just up and move to an office outside of Silicon Valley since none of the other offices provide the same opportunities/salary potential.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post

Observations:

And I saw people like that working at Walmart....Only difference was education and pay....

Old 06-25-2016, 04:12 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Good looking = they are better at applying makeup/mask...

They still have same issues people have at other companies
No. From the neck down and face better looking. There is a limit to what makeup can do. Why would women who work for major company's be better at applying makeup?

Last edited by jman07; 06-25-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
There's 100 different companies down in that area, not just Amazon. Me and my work partner infiltrated Amazon there last year and the place seemed ultra anal and hyper tense as the admissions office to hell itself. I was not impressed. Juno Therapeutics seemed just the opposite as was another I can't remember the name of. F5 down on Elliot is a cool place too. We use their kitchens a lot.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:25 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It's a different breed of employee. These are the cream of the crop who went to the best universities and studied the most in-demand cutting edge majors. They're not just good at what they do but are passionate about what they do. They don't see work as just something to bumble through and collect a paycheck.
Well done (clap hands): someone's paying attention.

To the original observations:

* Sure the women are by-and-large good looking, or rather: healthy. We have dental and health plans, and smart people value exercise and other positive lifestyle choices. Not living out of the 7-11 and buying a carton of Winston Lights every few days. Gross obesity, poor dress and hygiene, etc. are signs of a disordered life. That won't work in an environment that requires excellence in delivery, no one hires people like that because they don't last and can't deliver. Next...

* Successful delivery breeds confidence to lead. The trap there is what my father called "Platonic Fallacy: false equation of knowledge with wisdom", however. Some of those people haven't learned how to lose. They will.

* Yeah, we do have a sort of dress code. The Millennials do, anyway. I'm Gen X and have a bit of a different style.

* Burned out, no. Stressed out, yes. High performance people need a certain amount of stress to thrive, I've found.

OP is on the right track with observations. If you want to work there, develop the skills and start achieving. Some years from now, you may be noticed. Who knows.

(From one o'them high-tech workers in Bellevue, not Seattle-proper.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment