Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:49 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times

Advertisements

I remember a factory I worked at over the summers. We were making truck bumpers. When a new person started, the crew would want to see if they would work. There was one machine that was fairly easy to learn, but exhausting. There were two guys that just flew on the machine, and that's where they'd start the new hires. They'd work you like a dog. At the time I was coming off of varsity football and a decent amount of strength, but these middle aged guys ran circles around me and it was all I could do to keep up. Halfway through the end of Friday, they suddenly stopped. Said, we'd made more than quota and we sat out back for the remainder of the evening (night shift). The next work day I reported to a different machine that was much easier, and I couldn't help but notice the big machine ran slower as well as the A team went back to other sections.

That's how the factory kept the crap out that HR would hire. Work everyone like a dog and see if they kept showing up. If they did, great. It was a pretty good crew actually, but the guys responsible for keeping an eye on everyone wanted to weed out those that didn't work.

I also had another place that I started where the accountant showed me how to cook the books for each close. That was my 3 week job.

It's hard to know sometimes. Good luck with a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:44 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,699 times
These type of crummy jobs have cropped up in only recent years. It used to be jobs were much easier to find and do in the US. You can thank NAFTA, TPP and the outsourcing of US jobs.
No wonder so many people don't want to work in the US.

The same sort of thing has happened to me and it is hell.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Glad you had the ''kahunas'' to walk, OP!
Sounds like a dump. Screw that!

Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
If you don't want them to take notes then you need to provide them with documentation. I've been a manger for several years and I've learned that it's far better for employees to reference that unless you want them to ask questions all day. That, or you have to be comfortable with them screwing things up all the time.
Yes, they are provided with wverything they need and more. Again, I always give them a free in the first month. They can ask me as many stupid questions as they want. They get a clean slate right about the 2nd month.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
so you want to brag how great your current workplace is. NICE. Start your own thread. This is supposed to make me feel better? what is wrong with you...
I was trying to contrast 2 workplaces and show you better places exist. A lot of people in this part of the country are pretty passive and let themselves get bossed around and don't really know there's anything better out there.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Not receiving the proper training means I can't perform my duties. They really weren't paying me enough for me to pay for tutorials for the software. The company that makes it does provide tutorials and training. It's really the business's responsibility to train people properly so they can do their job. Isn't that what managers are supposed to do? If you can't train yourself, hire the software company's trainer for a week to spend 40 hours with new employees doing nothing but training and maybe incorporate some duties into the training. In the other fields I've worked in, companies had no problem spending the $ and time to give new people the needed training. This company was just cheap..
No, it's not our job to spoon feed people. Yes, we train people, but we expect a certain minimum standard of pre-existing skills and learning curve.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Good for you. If more people refused bad workplace environments they'd be forced to change them.
Depends on the job. Many have no trouble finding someone desparte.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
so you want to brag how great your current workplace is. NICE. Start your own thread. This is supposed to make me feel better? what is wrong with you...
As far as I can tell, he was talking about his own work situations to say: my last gig was bad, too, so I empathize; there are better situations out there like my current one, take heart. Yet you chose to interpret what he wrote in the worst possible light.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
The manager and employees who "trained" me insisted I take notes. It was hard to watch what they were doing on the program, listening and taking notes. The database was complicated. Furniture sales and real estate both had databases specific to their industries. Both places gave 2 weeks in training sessions, where people got to do mock transactions on the system and learn everything needed to do your day to day work. Written material was left with newbies to study and practice. After training was over, there was always somebody on the site to guide you through a transaction or fix it if needed. Like I said, the software is not something you can take classes in or learn on your own (tutorials). I'm sure it's around but the workplace wasn't going to pay for it.
What i do during meetings at work is sometimes i will audio record the meetings on my smartphone....probably not legal, but i do it so that i don't have to take notes and just listen. I can always go back and listen to it again if needed. In your case, keep taking notes and watch what they're doing....if you need to go back and understand something, just listen to the audio again.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 AM

521 posts, read 292,834 times
OP, I don't think you are so upset. I get a feeling that you are shocked.

Your employer is strange, but looking you live in NY I'm not surprised.

Take your time, try to avoid thinking about it and apply for jobs. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment