Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should high school kids be working while in high school?
Yes 109 76.76%
No 33 23.24%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times

Advertisements

Yes and no, I think it depends on the child. As a whole, I believe that 16+ should be doing something, but it doesn't have to be a job.

For example: with my parents, you have to have something. So for me, I knew what path I was taking, I knew that it would be college. Instead of working I spent that time doing Athletics, volunteer work, school clubs etc....

If I wasn't planning on going to college, my parents would of told me to work at 16. I wouldn't just get to hang around and do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
of course!! we pamper the little darlings soooo much ,,,,, many lack coping skills,,,or real life/working/discipline skills,,

kids should have working discipline at a young age,,

get it thru there head,,,the harder they work and apply themselves the more they can achieve,,

Old 07-11-2016, 08:37 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
If there grades are good, yes I think it is a good ideal for them to have a part time job...even if it is only on weekends.
It helps bring about maturity, and contributes to a sense of responsibility and teaches discipline and adds self esteem. So, I see it as a good thing.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
of course!! we pamper the little darlings soooo much ,,,,, many lack coping skills,,,or real life/working/discipline skills,,

kids should have working discipline at a young age,,

get it thru there head,,,the harder they work and apply themselves the more they can achieve,,
This. Children need to learn how to hustle, how to manage their time efficiently. As opposed to working jobs where they are just punching the clock, they should work jobs where the better/faster they perform, the higher their compensation. I worked many jobs growing up, delivering newspapers (there is one that is going away), cutting lawns, working a few hours a day after school in a family friend's office, tutoring, coat check/busing/waiting tables.

I picked up different skills from each of those, but none were as valuable as the skills I picked up working at a fine dining restaurant. Learned about many different foods/drinks/wine, how to properly serve a 5-7 course meal, how to give great service and most importantly, how to hustle to get extra tables, as the more customers we served the more money (tips) we earned.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
My challenge these days is the amount of time that school sports take up during the off-season and the impact that has on working. My oldest plays baseball, which between the summer team and travel team is a 6 day a week commitment. He has several teammates who play football and baseball. Football practice (plus weightlifting) is 6 days a week from 7 to 2 (and this is during the summer), then baseball is in the afternoons/evenings 3 days per week. Where is the time to work any significant hours at a job?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 PM

417 posts, read 345,707 times
Yes. I worked about 30+ hours a week during school, I was president of two clubs, I was not athletic so no sports, but I did a lot of Volunteer work at various organizations. I won't make my kids work as many hours as I did but they will work. It teaches time management, organization, to be hard working but also to stick up for yourself when you just need time to yourself. Work is great for kids, unless they are planning on going to a prestigious college, or if they want to focus on all academics.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
This. Children need to learn how to hustle, how to manage their time efficiently. As opposed to working jobs where they are just punching the clock, they should work jobs where the better/faster they perform, the higher their compensation. I worked many jobs growing up, delivering newspapers (there is one that is going away), cutting lawns, working a few hours a day after school in a family friend's office, tutoring, coat check/busing/waiting tables.

I picked up different skills from each of those, but none were as valuable as the skills I picked up working at a fine dining restaurant. Learned about many different foods/drinks/wine, how to properly serve a 5-7 course meal, how to give great service and most importantly, how to hustle to get extra tables, as the more customers we served the more money (tips) we earned.
Many of those jobs you listed are going away for high school kids. Mowing lawns for example is now done by lawn service companies; many restaurants now days only want over 18 or even 21 because they don't have hour restrictions and can serve alcohol.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Nope. It may be a cultural thing. Working during high school years is a very North American thing.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:56 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
No, the kids will have a lot of time ahead of them to participate in the rat race. Give them some time to spend developing their intellect, not just their a**-kissing skills.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
No, the kids will have a lot of time ahead of them to participate in the rat race. Give them some time to spend developing their intellect, not just their a**-kissing skills.

It seems many have perfected that at home. What about learning basic work habits like showing up on time properly attired, leaving the telephone in the pocket and working diligently for an entire shift. That could be the most important thing on their resume when looking for that first "real job."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment