Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times

Advertisements

My mom works for a company which sells meat, Buffalo, Ostrich, Beef, etc. Her job entails many different tasks one of them being inputting the address for orders. One time she input the wrong order for the wrong address. The meat shipped out and got returned, by the time it was returned the dry ice was evaporated and the meat was bad. This was a very large order of $800. Her boss ended up pulling that money from her paycheck to pay for the order (almost two weeks of pay for her). This isn't isolated to my mom (he charges her coworkers for their mistakes) and she did say it was her mistake but I find this extremely tacky. The boss has two high end sports cars (Audi R8 and a Ferrari of some kind). The company is booming.

My questions are as follows:
1) What do you think of this practice? Does it seem fair?
2) Do any of you know if this is this even legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
My mom works for a company which sells meat, Buffalo, Ostrich, Beef, etc. Her job entails many different tasks one of them being inputting the address for orders. One time she input the wrong order for the wrong address. The meat shipped out and got returned, by the time it was returned the dry ice was evaporated and the meat was bad. This was a very large order of $800. Her boss ended up pulling that money from her paycheck to pay for the order (almost two weeks of pay for her). This isn't isolated to my mom (he charges her coworkers for their mistakes) and she did say it was her mistake but I find this extremely tacky. The boss has two high end sports cars (Audi R8 and a Ferrari of some kind). The company is booming.

My questions are as follows:
1) What do you think of this practice? Does it seem fair?
2) Do any of you know if this is this even legal?
1. No
2. No

Suggest she speak with a lawyer....Oh and it doesn't matter what the owner drives now, so quit posting that part. Just keep it to the basics.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
1. No
2. No

Suggest she speak with a lawyer....Oh and it doesn't matter what the owner drives now, so quit posting that part. Just keep it to the basics.
I only threw in that detail to give some context as to how successful the business is. To show it has nothing to do with the business struggling but I do understand it isn't necessary.

The problem with hiring a lawyer for this is that A) My mom has no money, she barely makes enough to support a living and B) She would obviously lose her job if she did hire a lawyer which further complicates her money issues.

How exactly does one go about whistle blowing on their own employer when they rely on that employer for a living? She has tried to find other jobs but has been unsuccessful. I even helped her remake her whole resume and everything.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:00 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Why do you think it is reasonable for the business owner to eat the loss because of your mother's mistake?

Yes, docking pay is legal as long as the deductions don't take the employee under minimum wage. So, he cannot take someone's paycheck, but he can dock her $20 per week for 40 weeks to get his money back (or whatever the math works out to to keep her at minimum wage). Depending on your state, this may or may not be also addressed at the state level, so you need to check with them.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why do you think it is reasonable for the business owner to eat the loss because of your mother's mistake?

Yes, docking pay is legal as long as the deductions don't take the employee under minimum wage. So, he cannot take someone's paycheck, but he can dock her $20 per week for 40 weeks to get his money back (or whatever the math works out to to keep her at minimum wage). Depending on your state, this may or may not be also addressed at the state level, so you need to check with them.
Yes, I believe it is fair to assume that employees will occasionally make mistakes which will cost money for the employer. That is a common in ANY company. My dad owned a trucking company and he had employees who flipped their semi-truck, it wasn't like he charged them for the deductible on the insurance policy. It just isn't right to do in my opinion. Now if an employee is frequently making mistakes I do think it should be documented and they should be fired for it. Charging it back to employees who are just barely breaking minimum wage is just heartless.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yes, it is reasonable. Employers should be factoring that in, as they do things like shrinkage, when pricing their products as it is a basic cost of doing business.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
The person making the mistakes should be canned so the mistakes stop happening.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The person making the mistakes should be canned so the mistakes stop happening.
People ARE going to make mistakes. Unless they have some super awesome automated way of preventing human error it is bound to happen occasionally. My mom has made 2 errors in her 6 years of employment there. Plus, I KNOW you can't legally fire someone for making a mistake occasionally. If she were a frequent offender then I would understand your comment however since she isn't I find it quite heartless.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Most states wage and hour laws do NOT allow deductions from pay for mistakes, damages, shortages, etc, unless Mom signed a written agreement at time of hire.

If Mom is in Illinois, it is one. See IL's FAQs at https://www.illinois.gov/idol/FAQs/P...-FAQ.aspx#faq1 and decide if she wants to file a complaint.

Many small employers flout these laws because they know people won't fight it, for fear of being fired (which is its own violation).

Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Plus, I KNOW you can't legally fire someone for making a mistake occasionally.
Most people can be legally fired for a single mistake. I don't think it's a good idea or anything, but it's legal. Paying somebody less than minimum wage is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment