Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:19 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,792,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
well maybe next time they'll think twice before firing a pregnant woman.WTF is wrong with these people? were their HR or lawyers smoking too much weed? dumb as ***t.

Her boss / supervisor was probably earning a dollar more than her an hour, with no formal supervisory education or experience. It's not like "David" was educated college grad, he was probably working the fry machine 6 months earlier. But it is a lesson to employers watch out who you put in charge just because someone has been working there a couple of years doesn't make them management material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,840,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
I don't agree. One, the "abusive employer" isn't hurt at all. They're NOT going to let a mere lawsuit award affect their bottom line, the cost will be absorbed by the consumers. Two, if you're earning fast food wages, pregnancy should be their last goal.
Most of these people can't think past the tip of their nose. I agree with you, I'm just saying. They are usually not the brightest.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:52 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,485,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
I don't agree. One, the "abusive employer" isn't hurt at all. They're NOT going to let a mere lawsuit award affect their bottom line, the cost will be absorbed by the consumers. Two, if you're earning fast food wages, pregnancy should be their last goal.
Some women with kids want to work to set a better example and to earn their way. They don't have the option of just staying home, and it'd be nice if they don't collect from the government for this sort of thing. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,475,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Oh I'm quite sure Doris Garcia Hernandez was a bored stay at home mom working at Chipotle for play money.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Care to elaborate?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 AM

838 posts, read 556,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yes. I would LOVE to know exactly what Cream1 is trying to say, too. The only good explanation is that he/she knows this person in real life because the alternative explanation to their summation is appalling.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,501,387 times
This is a tricky one in my opinion, especially in a fast paced position like at Chipotle. We don't know the specifics and every woman is different, but just from a performance standpoint I see being pregnant a huge problem for trying to work effectively at Chipotle. My wife is pregnant, I've known pregnant women, things happen....

You need to take lots of bathroom breaks. You slow down. You hurt. You might need to throw up. You're mobility becomes limited. In a job like Chipotle where you need to be on your feet all day and moving quick, these limitations simply won't do. The accommodations become unreasonable for the nature of the business. You cant be leaving the line every 20 minutes for a pee break. If this were an office setting, no reason to let her go, but it makes perfect sense to get rid of her in this role.

But once again proves you can sue for anything these days and actually win... Maybe I'm in the minority, but unless there was other harassment at play here, I think Chipotle was in the right for firing her.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,611,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This is a tricky one in my opinion, especially in a fast paced position like at Chipotle. We don't know the specifics and every woman is different, but just from a performance standpoint I see being pregnant a huge problem for trying to work effectively at Chipotle. My wife is pregnant, I've known pregnant women, things happen....

You need to take lots of bathroom breaks. You slow down. You hurt. You might need to throw up. You're mobility becomes limited. In a job like Chipotle where you need to be on your feet all day and moving quick, these limitations simply won't do. The accommodations become unreasonable for the nature of the business. You cant be leaving the line every 20 minutes for a pee break. If this were an office setting, no reason to let her go, but it makes perfect sense to get rid of her in this role.

But once again proves you can sue for anything these days and actually win... Maybe I'm in the minority, but unless there was other harassment at play here, I think Chipotle was in the right for firing her.
You didn't actually read any of this, did you? It would be tricky if they had actually any evidence that there was a performance issue. They didn't mention any.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:30 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,567,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
Yes. I would LOVE to know exactly what Cream1 is trying to say, too. The only good explanation is that he/she knows this person in real life because the alternative explanation to their summation is appalling.
That poster just proved they are a raging racist and worthy of the ignore feature of this forum.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:08 PM

49 posts, read 39,274 times
If you're stupid enough to get knocked up when you know it could jeopardize your job, I have no sympathy for you.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:11 PM

55 posts, read 63,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post
If you're stupid enough to get knocked up when you know it could jeopardize your job, I have no sympathy for you.
Would you change your opinion if it was a woman that worked an office job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment