Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:48 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times

Advertisements

Is this thread about people who talk about kids or are just...talking about something that you are not interested in?

I hate when people talk about themselves nonstop.

And at work I used to hate it when people would just talk constantly about anything because I worked in a very intense & high acuity trauma center where peoples lives depended on me doing my job. I hated having to come up with a different creative "bug out" phrase all the time.

Last edited by coschristi; 08-10-2016 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: rephrase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 PM

212 posts, read 162,358 times
I simply shuffle around paperwork and say, would you mind if I finish this, I'm on a deadline.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:54 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Just keep changing the subject

Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I get tired of hearing my coworkers talk about football, their dogs, their weekend activities, etc. It's part of life. I don't understand the hate for parents on this board. All kinds of people are annoying for all kinds of reasons, but never do I see the hate come out like it does for people who dare to reproduce.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Suck it up. Every office has a chatterbox and if it's not a baby it's going to be a guy who is obsessed with a particular sports team or someone who is potty about a favorite TV show. I've never seen Seinfeld in my life but I worked in an office during the Seinfeld era and to this day I could recount some of the episodes to you I heard so much about them.

Not to mention, count yourself lucky if you don't have to fill in for Mother of the Year (doing her job and yours) when she takes her maternity leave. That happened to me three times in twenty years.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:45 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeSomeone View Post
No I don't talk about personal stuff at work - over and over and over.
Reality tells us that someone (if not multiple someones) find each and every one of us annoying sometimes so don't be so sure your coworkers don't think that about you at times even if you never discuss personal stuff.

Little can be done other than doing your job and not participating in the conversation. Maybe she'll get the message or maybe she'll be like a coworker I once endured who gave me daily updates on her cat. I hate cats and told her so, but she kept on anyway. I was thrilled when she quit.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:03 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Hr

Old 08-10-2016, 08:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be a nasty person but I'm not sure how much more I can take of hearing about this baby. Ok we get it - you are having a kid! Many of my colleagues do seem that they are interested in her pregnancy and ask her all kinds of questions and listen intently to her talk about it. I thought I couldnt wait till she had this child but now I realize when she does its all we will hear about. Sorry I just had to rant.
Whenever I read posts like this I wonder how people actually do the work that they are hired to do.

Does she talk non-stop while actually on the job or is it just at lunch time? Can't you eat lunch at your desk or in another room or go for a walk at lunch time instead of listening to her talk? Or bring in the scrapbooks from your last fifteen vacations and start to describe each and every photograph when she starts talking "baby".

Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Some people with kids think that everyone cares to hear about their children and we don't!
Trophy kids basically why facebook exists lol

Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 PM

16 posts, read 25,750 times
Had this happen with a friend. That title is of course, much different from a coworker. If I do become a mother I hope I'm not annoyingly talking about my pregnancy plus referencing every detail in my life towards my kid/s. Maybe I'm being insensitive, I don't want to discredit the feelings a mother may have about bringing a child into this world.

Don't feign interest if the conversation is directed your way. You don't have to be rude about it, but people are allowed to not be baby crazy. Just as your coworker is allowed to be that way if it pleases her. I would grit my teeth and ignore it. Maybe distance yourself away from that person if possible. In my opinion that's a drastic move though. If it's not one thing it'll be another. There will always be annoyances at work, always.

Last edited by Dkna123; 08-10-2016 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment