Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 AM

74 posts, read 74,845 times

Advertisements

Currently, I work in the mortgage industry for a major banking institution but this was never the plan and I needed a job as I was laid off at eighteen. Now ten years later, I'm still at the same company (laid off once and came back because the city I reside in does not have job growth) and consistently doing entry-level work that leads to career path that I could care less about.

I know that most people typically have an idea as to what they want to be when they grow up. However, I think we can all agree that life happens and sometimes we find ourselves going in a different direction. My reason for this post is because I wanted to see how many people stuck to their original career goals and how many people just took a job because they needed one. And then job turned out to be a long drawn out career, in a field that you had no aspirations to pursue.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I stuck to mine. Don't get me wrong, for about 10 years I was out of my "career" because I couldn't find a job in it. I never quit trying though, and 3 years ago I was hired back into it. I always knew what field I wanted to work in, since high school anyway.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:59 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
I've been a career secretary for the past 25 years and only recently made the jump to management.

I became a secretary because in college I typed up everyone's term papers and by the time I graduated I could type 100 wpm and knew WordPerfect 4.2, Lotus 123, dBase and MS-DOS really, really well.

I worked my way up to management by constantly volunteering to learn new processes, programs, skills. I worked my way up by not settling for being "just" a secretary/word processor/executive assistant. I learned to do things outside my job description so that I could pitch in and help anyone at anytime.

The result is that when I recently went in to my boss to request a raise, outlining all the things I did above and beyond my job description, she gave me a promotion instead (with a higher raise than I requested). My new title and job description fits EXACTLY what I do now.

That's how I ended up with the career I have today.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I ended up in my current career (7 years now) because when I lost my business in the recession, I found a job opening with requirements for skills and experience that combined what I had done in the first two careers of 17 years in another state and 16 years here with the business. While I never went into the kind of work I had anticipated when in college and graduate school, I have held several positions in which the education has helped greatly.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:20 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,376 times
Default Data Anlalytics

I started out not knowing what I really wanted to do. All I knew after college was that I needed to get a job. When I relocated, I applied for anything and everything. After doing some temp jobs, I landed a role in Supply Chain Management, primarily logistics. I did that for a bit before landing into more of a purchasing/project management role. It was a great job, but then I started getting burned out. I was ultimately recruited back into Procurement, but this time as a data analyst. This is what I'd now consider my career focus to be; data analytics. I'm now on my 3rd analyst position, and I'm very happy with it. I really have the freedom to do what I do best, and it can't get much better than that. I would like to beef up my technical skills so that I can perhaps get into more data science type roles later on in my career.

All in all, there was no direct path, per se. I just kept looking for jobs that I wanted to do, and built up my skill set and experience to reflect that.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,797,037 times
As a Psych major I realized that I enjoyed the research aspect but I knew I really didn't want to get a PhD in order to work in the field. Fortunately I started working at the survey research center at my school and realized there was a field that used the research methods we had learned about. I worked my way up from being a telephone interviewer into other survey research related roles and eventually went back to school to get my Masters in Survey Methodology. I really love this field because it allows me to work in a variety of subject areas so I never feel like I'm stuck and I know my skills will always be needed.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Just stumbled into a help desk job when I graduated several years back in a bad economy.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:09 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Graduated from high school then drafted into the army.

After the army had some crummy jobs and I decided I wanted to be a pilot so I went to fight school under the GI bill. Used every last cent.

Got my commercial pilots license with instrument and multiple engine rating. Went ahead and earned my CFI&AI (Certified Flight Instructor Advanced and Instruments) flight instructors certificate and went to work for a small FBO as a flight instructor and charter pilot flying Part 135 operations.

A wonderful life as long as I was single. I didn't make much money at all but I've been to every state except Vermont, I flew over Vermont but never landed there, Canada, the Bahamas, Mexico and Central America delivering airplanes.

I was single and extremely poor, all my friends were earning twice what I was, but I've seen the sun rise at my back when approaching the Grand Canyon 5,000 above the rim and that is a sight you got to see.

I was single, my car was a total piece of garbage but I had access to a wide variety of airplanes, among them my favorite a Beech B-55, so I had the wherewithal (airplanes and gas were free) to impress my dates.

220 mph in a straight line we could cover some distance.

I wanted to go airlines but in the 70's Vietnam was winding down and pilots were a dime a dozen. One job opening and you had literally 5,000 applicants.

I met my future wife and knew I couldn't make it if I got married so I started looking around. Was thinking of flying pipeline and almost applied.l

One of my primary flight students owned a fire sprinkler company and he said he had an offer to train me as a fire sprinkler layout technician... to go from flying airplanes to a drafting table drawing fire sprinkler systems and I didn't even know what a piece of pipe was.

What he told me was he thought I would be good at it because I obviously didn't have a problem with work, at the airport I flew 70 hours a week, that I could read and understand regulations and that I had an eye for seeing things in three dimensions.

He offered me a starting wage and my leg started to shake... it was twice what I was earning as a pilot.

He refused to accept me right then... it was a Friday and he told me he expected a yes or no answer Monday morning but if I said yes I had to promise, upon my honor as a man, that I would stick with it for six months. If I didn't like it after six months we would shake hands and part friends but he insisted I stick with it for six months.

I accepted Monday morning. Good thing he make me give the six month promise because I so wanted to bug out of that office environment at mid morning I couldn't take it. All from being more or less my own boss and pilot in command to being a trainee was tough.

Here I am, over 40 years later and I am still designing fire sprinkler systems.

For flying I bought my own airplane, PA-28R-200, so it all ended up well.

I stopped flying about 6 years ago now.

I am still married to the lady that caused me to give up flying professionally.

Moral of story? Life throws curves and most often how you end up somewhere isn't always a straight line.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:24 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I wanted to become a princess or a model when I was a kid.

After graduating from highschool, my parents told me to get a job and don't waste my (and their) time at college. I knew I wanted an office job. My opportunities were very limited (small city) and there were just a few apprenticeships advertised in the newspaper. I applied for the paralegal one and got it (it came with 3 years paid college). Coincidental best choice of my life because it fits me perfectly. I grew into it and I am still passionate about legal stuff overall. I modeled on the side in my 20s.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:42 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I wanted to be a nurse when I was in high school. However I failed Geometry and Chemistry, two subjects I needed at that time to get into college and/or nursing school.

So I became a secretary, then admin assistant, then low level management. If I could redo my younger years I would definitely have gotten a degree so I could have made better money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment