Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 06:42 AM

363 posts, read 433,201 times

Advertisements

I currently have the best boss I've ever had, I despise the work we do but planning to tolerate it for 2 years because of the money. My friend wants to refer me for an opportunity at his job that he knows I will get for sure because they use a software I am skilled at and he's best friends with my future boss. Although both jobs are computer related and similar in a way, I will like the new one better since it's more IT related and hands on. Here's the selling point for me, they will offer me any 3 certificates I want each year for free since that's what the company does.

My current job is dead end since it's dealing with a software for a specific customer, normally I would take the other offer in a heartbeat. I just feel very bad because it's hard for them to get new people to handle the job and train them. I have some of the best management and coworkers especially my boss. I am not planning to let that stop me from doing what's best for me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Is there a problem? Your boss and company will be fine without you. Your boss would take a job and move on without giving you a second thought.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:56 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I currently have the best boss I've ever had, I despise the work we do but planning to tolerate it for 2 years because of the money. My friend wants to refer me for an opportunity at his job that he knows I will get for sure because they use a software I am skilled at and he's best friends with my future boss. Although both jobs are computer related and similar in a way, I will like the new one better since it's more IT related and hands on. Here's the selling point for me, they will offer me any 3 certificates I want each year for free since that's what the company does.

My current job is dead end since it's dealing with a software for a specific customer, normally I would take the other offer in a heartbeat. I just feel very bad because it's hard for them to get new people to handle the job and train them. I have some of the best management and coworkers especially my boss. I am not planning to let that stop me from doing what's best for me though.
i understand that you feel bad - i've felt the same way, but in the end you have to do what's best for you, not whats best for your boss.. But it sounds like the new opportunity is better for you, so go for it! Just make sure your friend knows your future colleagues as well and can vouch for them being great too - having a great boss and coworkers is a very rare thing (imo).

Old 08-28-2016, 07:15 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:

I've been working in software for many years. I've seen this before. People think they have become so valued that the company will have an extremely difficult time getting along without them. I have seen people in key roles who when they announced they were leaving, others felt the same way. "Now what are we going to do? Nobody knows this stuff like...". They are taken out for lunch, and a tearful goodbye and while their replacement is getting use to the place. Within 2 weeks, the former employee's name doesn't even come up in conversation. Within 3-4 weeks, everyone notices to their surprise that the replacement is not only able to handle the job, but has expanded it to include areas the former employee either ignored or refused to deal with.

Good luck in the new job. Your absence will only be felt temporary by your former employer regardless of how you feel about leaving or what anyone else says to you. You should feel guilt free in leaving.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:22 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
I remember leaving a job years ago with a similar feeling. Loved my boss and he relied heavily on me. The new job was internal, but with a different department that was a great forward step for my career. The job I left, while a good job, was never going to be more than it was. My boss was great though and I felt terrible for leaving him. He had recently stepped into the role and so counted on me quite a lot. I remember when I started to tell him, his face fell and he said, "you're not leaving me, are you?"

Anyway, I had to do it and he knew it. He actually was very happy for me and supportive of my decision. Telling him was tough, but once it was out in the air it was okay. Since I was moving internally, I took the time to help interview and transition my role. He and I parted friends and with great respect for each other and I moved on to do bigger and better things.

That change was a hard leap for me in a lot of ways. Probably one of the best decisions I have ever made for my career, but it was a big risk as I was leaving a fairly cushy job that I was good at and jumping into something new where it wasn't proven yet that I would be successful. It all worked out in the end, but it was scary at the time! Having the support and encouragement of someone I respected so much helped me be confident that I could do it.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:18 PM

I know I can be replaced, and I know they will do fine without me. What I am worried about is losing a great boss and coworkers. I know my current job isn't going anywhere any time soon, as opposed going to a new company.

All my instincts telling me to stay at my job especially because I still have debt. But I feel the new company will ensure a better future. It's ironic because 4 months ago I was desperate just to find any job and now not only do I have a decent job but there's a possibility of a better opportunity.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Lose a great boss...gain a bigger, better future.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
I know I can be replaced, and I know they will do fine without me. What I am worried about is losing a great boss and coworkers. I know my current job isn't going anywhere any time soon, as opposed going to a new company.

All my instincts telling me to stay at my job especially because I still have debt. But I feel the new company will ensure a better future. It's ironic because 4 months ago I was desperate just to find any job and now not only do I have a decent job but there's a possibility of a better opportunity.
You've only been working there 4 months and fretting about leaving the bets boss and coworker in the world?
Just as you are replaceable, so are best bosses and coworkers. Personally, I think you're putting the cart before the horse ... get the other job first, then think about it.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
They are taken out for lunch, and a tearful goodbye and while their replacement is getting use to the place. Within 2 weeks, the former employee's name doesn't even come up in conversation. Within 3-4 weeks, everyone notices to their surprise that the replacement is not only able to handle the job, but has expanded it to include areas the former employee either ignored or refused to deal with.
Your absence will only be felt temporary by your former employer regardless of how you feel about leaving or what anyone else says to you.
Gee, did that make you feel better?

I understand how you feel, OP. Having a boss and coworkers that you actually like and respect is really hard to find. I am in that job right now, and I do not plan on ever leaving unless something really big comes up. I hope your new position gives you the same warm fuzzy feeling.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM

So, I've decided to go ahead and submit my resume. That way if I do get interviewed I can get a better feel and information about the new company. I think this would be better than regretting my decision in the future. If I don't get the job, then I won't feel too bad about it, and at least there will be no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment