Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I was curious about the typical job applicant. Are most unemployed?

In some cases it's hard to tell based on how the resume is organized. None of the employers knew I was unemployed until the interview because I did a good job of not making it known on the resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
In some cases it's hard to tell based on how the resume is organized. None of the employers knew I was unemployed until the interview because I did a good job of not making it known on the resume.
As a HM, I don't care too much if a person is currently employed or not. In fact, in some circumstances I might have a preference for hiring an unemployed candidate.

If my candidate pool is weak, with no candidate that is clearly qualified, I will usually call it a failed search, reject everybody, and reopen the posting. But, if my top candidate in this circumstance is currently unemployed I will take a chance and hire him/her.

The rationale behind this is risk avoidance on the part of the candidate. If a person does not pass probation, I will fire them. If I fire a person who was previously employed, they will take a serious economic hit. If I fire a person who was previously unemployed, they are no worse off.

Sometimes this pays off for me. The last time I did this was about two years ago. The woman had been unemployed for several years, the reference checks came back iffy, and she had been fired a couple of times in her career. Her credentials were decent though, if a bit dated. I put her on an extended probation as a precaution and hired. She is currently one of my star employees and has performed beyond my wildest dreams. She does have a quirky personality, which is probably why the reference checks were iffy, but that doesn't bother me, as I don't mind a little confrontation in the workplace, as long as it is channeled to a better work result.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Probably more lower end job applicants are unemployed than applicants to sophisticated, in demand positions.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yes. Your question has no answer, and a thousand different answers. I wonder how many people who wear red socks to interviews get hired?
TonyM gave me an answer. Thanks for contributing to my thread tonym.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:51 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a HM, I don't care too much if a person is currently employed or not. In fact, in some circumstances I might have a preference for hiring an unemployed candidate.

If my candidate pool is weak, with no candidate that is clearly qualified, I will usually call it a failed search, reject everybody, and reopen the posting. But, if my top candidate in this circumstance is currently unemployed I will take a chance and hire him/her.

The rationale behind this is risk avoidance on the part of the candidate. If a person does not pass probation, I will fire them. If I fire a person who was previously employed, they will take a serious economic hit. If I fire a person who was previously unemployed, they are no worse off.

Sometimes this pays off for me. The last time I did this was about two years ago. The woman had been unemployed for several years, the reference checks came back iffy, and she had been fired a couple of times in her career. Her credentials were decent though, if a bit dated. I put her on an extended probation as a precaution and hired. She is currently one of my star employees and has performed beyond my wildest dreams. She does have a quirky personality, which is probably why the reference checks were iffy, but that doesn't bother me, as I don't mind a little confrontation in the workplace, as long as it is channeled to a better work result.
This one company in Michigan doesn't even invite you to a interview unless you are employed. They interview all applicants on the phone and ask you are you currently employed. If the answer is no you don't make it to the face to face interview. So trying to hide on the resume won't work with this place at all because they will ask you on the phone.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
I almost always wait until I am unemployed to look for work. I do consulting and my contracts end but often they get extended a couple weeks before the expiration date. Rather than leave, I usually wait until the contract really is over. Then I prefer to take several months off work in between work assignments if the last assignment was a long gig.

Last time I took 6 months off. Toward the end when it was time to go back to work, I turned down 2 jobs that weren't a perfect fit and accepted a 3rd offer that was a perfect fit. All were very well paying tech jobs that required many years of very specialized experience.

My point is, people that are unemployed still get job offers. We aren't all ignored.

Last edited by sware2cod; 09-08-2016 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment