Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:10 AM

522 posts, read 343,404 times

Advertisements

This is a two part question.

I was offered a job with a state government. They offered 5% above my current salary. This is not a big increase, and all other factors being equal, it would probably not be worth switching.The big selling point is the pension. You have to work for there for 10 years in order to be vested. Ten years is a long time. Are government pensions really all that secure?

I know people who worked in the private sector who thought they would get a full pension, but did not due to circumstances out of their control.

Also the commute would be much shorter (saving 60 miles per day and approx one hour)

OTOH I would be relocating to a big city, trading a mortgage for apartment rent that is approx $400 more per month. I have never experienced living in a big city. I like to visit, not quite sure if I would like living there. Being used to a small town, perhaps a bigger city would get old after awhile.

Seriously considering this offer but it's not only a job change but lifestyle change. Would like to hear from anyone who have been in a similar situation (either tried government work or relocating). Did it work out for you or did you regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:39 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Today with the rampant abuse in the private sector by the employers, the best way to go is government where employee abuse is more limited. The pay is usually less however with less options to move up if you are career oriented.

I guess if you don't mind me pigeonholed into the same position for a long time it isn't horrible. But then again this happens to a lot of people in the private sector as well (myself included). Especially if you are very good at what you do, you will be taken care of but ignored by and large when you show interest for wanting career advancement.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I guess if you don't mind me pigeonholed into the same position for a long time it isn't horrible. But then again this happens to a lot of people in the private sector as well (myself included). Especially if you are very good at what you do, you will be taken care of but ignored by and large when you show interest for wanting career advancement.
That is exactly what has happened with me at my employer. I have been with the same company for over 10 years and have been in the same position the entire time. I am good at what I do and have technical skills others in the group do not have. There have been opportunities to advance but have been denied promotions. The company once had a superb technical guy who had a lot of knowledge. He was promoted to manager and things went downhill as he clashed with his employees and other managers. ..so maybe they don't want to risk having it happen again. Not really sure I want to "advance" and be a manager anyway so perhaps it is for the better.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:09 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Yes, going to government is much better and more stable which is important especially when you are over 35 years old. All that bouncing around trying to chase more money is for when you are under 35 years old. Not saying you are not supposed to want more money after 35 but you should want to work at a job that gives you the option to stay there 10 years. And who knows you may want to go to another job after 10 years for a bigger increase which would be fine if that next opportunity offers more money and stability.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It is a myth that people get pigeonholed into one position and never advance in government.

Yes, some people stay in one place, but there is a lot of mobility if you are willing to move from one agency yo another.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:08 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
This is a two part question.

I was offered a job with a state government. They offered 5% above my current salary. This is not a big increase, and all other factors being equal, it would probably not be worth switching.The big selling point is the pension. You have to work for there for 10 years in order to be vested. Ten years is a long time. Are government pensions really all that secure?

I know people who worked in the private sector who thought they would get a full pension, but did not due to circumstances out of their control.

Also the commute would be much shorter (saving 60 miles per day and approx one hour)

OTOH I would be relocating to a big city, trading a mortgage for apartment rent that is approx $400 more per month. I have never experienced living in a big city. I like to visit, not quite sure if I would like living there. Being used to a small town, perhaps a bigger city would get old after awhile.

Seriously considering this offer but it's not only a job change but lifestyle change. Would like to hear from anyone who have been in a similar situation (either tried government work or relocating). Did it work out for you or did you regret it?

Let's take gov vs private out of it for a moment and look at these two things. That's a HUGE CoL increase in rent alone and you're paying rent, not growing equity. That 5% starts to look a lot smaller. Add in most likely increased fees and taxes for the city. Then there's a huge lifestyle give up. I was stationed in SF for a few years and hated every minute of it. Give me the mountains. Give me farm country. Trees, land, lakes and rivers. I go in my back yards and walk to the deer, rabbits, birds, and other wildlife. You couldn't pay me enough to live in a city like that again.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Yes, going to government is much better and more stable which is important especially when you are over 35 years old. All that bouncing around trying to chase more money is for when you are under 35 years old. Not saying you are not supposed to want more money after 35 but you should want to work at a job that gives you the option to stay there 10 years. And who knows you may want to go to another job after 10 years for a bigger increase which would be fine if that next opportunity offers more money and stability.
I've been at current job for over 10 years, could have jumped for more money but did not. I guess if I were going to chase money then I should have done it by now.This decision would be easier if I didn't already have a house and it didn't require relocation. As for jumping for more money 10 years from now, I'm not so sure that would be an option. In my field, ageism can be an issue when one reaches their 40s and/or 50s.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let's take gov vs private out of it for a moment and look at these two things. That's a HUGE CoL increase in rent alone and you're paying rent, not growing equity. That 5% starts to look a lot smaller. Add in most likely increased fees and taxes for the city. Then there's a huge lifestyle give up. I was stationed in SF for a few years and hated every minute of it. Give me the mountains. Give me farm country. Trees, land, lakes and rivers. I go in my back yards and walk to the deer, rabbits, birds, and other wildlife. You couldn't pay me enough to live in a city like that again.
Great points....thanks. The pension is the big draw to this position...but even with the pension, a lot of the gains in the total compensation package is would be swallowed up by the increased cost of living. I didn't even think of the additional taxes/fees.I do enjoy visiting the city sometimes but it's usually for a day or weekend. Would I want to live in one? It might get old after awhile.

Last edited by tgm4256; 10-08-2016 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 02:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
You really need to know that you can be content in the new location for at least a year or so.

I've relocated but with Federal you can go anywhere. With State you can only go so far. Still, if you think there's a chance of going somewhere elsewhere and upwards, you might be able to handle a year there, then transfer.

Some states are in better shape than others. I remember working as a Federal Technician with the TN Air Guard and we had a 25/75 funding split on some things. The State paid 25% and the Federal Gov't paid 75%. The State went broke and couldn't pay anything so the 75% that was available became unavailable. That would make me think twice about State, or at least be cautious.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:17 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Only problem is. You have a better chance of pissing in the wind and not getting wet than you do landing a Fed Government job today.

You can apply for jobs in the fed until the cows come home. And the majority of those jobs you will be qualified for. You will either:

A. Get a response saying you haven't been selected for an interview
B. Not hear a damn thing period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment