Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

There is no entry level anymore. Companies are too CHEAP and LAZY to train and they expect to find a golden unicorn falling out of tree with 5 years experience for that actual job function they have that opening for, all the while having 4-6 years of education PLUS the applicant will need to be willing to be lowballed salary on the job offer.

In short, companies are completely idiotic with their hiring process and all they are doing is creating a revolving door employees with low morale or having to settle for lousy applicants in the long run because no one with worth is going to be stupid enough to take the job.

THen they wonder why they can't retain employees, find any quality employees. You offer crap with no training, what the hell do you expect will happen? These types of companies don't deserve to be in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 10:08 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
So I am going to graduate college in May so I look at job postings in my prospective field from time to time to see you know, what the future looks like.

I found a job that's in my field and according to the company website it says entry-level! Now, I am finding a hard time finding a job that actually means entry-level without being an unpaid internship. So I scrolled down experience, and guess what it says, FOUR YEARS of experience! And internships don't count! On top of that, it is requiring certifications which require work experience as I have looked up these certifications.

So how exactly is that entry level? Professional certifications, which require work experience, and four years of non-internship work experience.

When I graduate university I will have three internships, some professional certifications, hopefully this third one in the prospective field as the other two are not, I do have a letter of recommendation from a professor, good grades, it is just AMAZINGLY BLEAK for someone like me. Now, I assume that if these jobs didn't have enough applicants they'd look at someone with less experience, but is that really the case anymore? How are us youngins supposed to get in anywhere?
I have come to realize that companies put everything they can possibly think of in a job posting, from job duties to education to experience, but rarely expect to find someone that meets all of the requirements. Really they do it because they know some people will be too afraid to even apply, so they are basically weeding out the people they know they definitely don't want.

I would just apply and in your cover letter explain how, even though you may not meet all of the requirements they desire, you have experience in X, Y, and Z and why that experience will help you excel in the position.

At the end of the day, don't let job descriptions dissuade you from even applying.

As a side note, that company is dreaming if they think a person with 4 years of experience will accept an entry level position.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
As a side note, that company is dreaming if they think a person with 4 years of experience will accept an entry level position.
Entry level, is often understood. It may not mean the lowest level of education with no experience, that so many posters seem to think it means. It means that is the lowest level in their company, and lists what their requirements are if you want to work there. It says we only hire people that meet or exceed this level. The big reason. It greatly reduces the chance they will be sued for discrimination, rejecting someone of a minority race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.

Quote:
There is no entry level anymore. Companies are too CHEAP and LAZY to train and they expect to find a golden unicorn falling out of tree with 5 years experience for that actual job function they have that opening for, all the while having 4-6 years of education PLUS the applicant will need to be willing to be lowballed salary on the job offer.

They keep doing it, because they will get enough qualified applicants that they will fill their new hires goals. They no longer want to train, because they know the attitude of the young generation just starting out that take a job and within 2 years just as they are starting to be trained and productive, they quit to move on to another job. The young employees today, have taught the companies it is too expensive to hire someone with no experience and train them, as you will never get a return on the time and money you invest in that person.

In short, companies are completely idiotic with their hiring process and all they are doing is creating a revolving door employees with low morale or having to settle for lousy applicants in the long run because no one with worth is going to be stupid enough to take the job.

THen they wonder why they can't retain employees, find any quality employees. You offer crap with no training, what the hell do you expect will happen? These types of companies don't deserve to be in business.
They are in the business to get the job done, and earn a profit. That is their goal. Doing it the way they do, gives them exactly what they want today.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:10 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Simply because there is a glut of experienced workers willing to work for whatever.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:16 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post

methinks that the job would actually be veteran-level but the salary is entry-level.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:40 PM

323 posts, read 377,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Simply because there is a glut of experienced workers willing to work for whatever.
Not really the issue for us. There's a bunch of Baby Boomers retiring, and the recent downturn eliminated most of the succession planning from the equation. At my work, we need experienced people to keep the wheels turning, and we can't waste months training a new hire with no experience while someone else has to pull their weight while they learn. I've had 40% of the department retire in the last two years, and another 20% eligible over the next 3 years. I need experienced people to fill those shoes.

Not ideal, but it's reality.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:50 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
So I am going to graduate college in May so I look at job postings in my prospective field from time to time to see you know, what the future looks like.

I found a job that's in my field and according to the company website it says entry-level! Now, I am finding a hard time finding a job that actually means entry-level without being an unpaid internship. So I scrolled down experience, and guess what it says, FOUR YEARS of experience! And internships don't count! On top of that, it is requiring certifications which require work experience as I have looked up these certifications.

So how exactly is that entry level? Professional certifications, which require work experience, and four years of non-internship work experience.

When I graduate university I will have three internships, some professional certifications, hopefully this third one in the prospective field as the other two are not, I do have a letter of recommendation from a professor, good grades, it is just AMAZINGLY BLEAK for someone like me. Now, I assume that if these jobs didn't have enough applicants they'd look at someone with less experience, but is that really the case anymore? How are us youngins supposed to get in anywhere?
Hi Prickly Pear,I am a newly minted college grad and looking for a job.I have noticed the same problem as you because whenever I look at entry level positions in the paper they always wants years of experience.
-WT

Old 10-09-2016, 04:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Here is the job posting (took out employer's name):

Quote:
Job description
The Area Safety and Emergency Management Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the Environmental Safety and Emergency Management programs for XXXX outpatient and support facilities/services. The coordinator will be assigned a territory around the Greater Tucson area. Regular travel with personal vehicle within the assigned territory will be necessary. Travel will be reimbursed based on the XXXX Mileage reimbursement policy.

Essential Functions
- This position recommends, interprets, and coordinates compliance with policies and procedures related to EH&S/EM issues, to maintain safety of patients, visitors and property of the facilities, within the regulations established by federal/state/local agencies. Helps to facilitate EH&S/EM strategic planning and development of goals and objectives. Coordinates the development and implementation of facility objectives/plans which align with the organizations strategic goals and objectives.
- Leads the investigation and analysis of identified potential EH&S/EM problems relative to employees, patients and visitors. Assists with other EH&S/EM issues as needed. Oversees the facility hazard vulnerability analysis (HVA) process on an annual basis.
- Based on the HVA findings, plans, coordinates, and implements exercises and drills to test and improve readiness.
- Develops and delivers competency based training as identified. Supports the completion of identified Corrective Action Plans.
- Manages the EH&S/EM programs and overall safety of patients, visitors and employees and coordinates EH&S/EM activities in all assigned areas. Acts as a back-up and provides support to the facility based EM Program Managers and EH&C Coordinators.
- Maintains current applicable regulatory standards in EH&S/EM programs and oversees changes to maintain compliance. Reviews compliance with all pertinent aspects of the Environment of Care (EOC) and Emergency Management (EM) standards.
- Acts as a change agent in development and implementation of EH&S/EM programs in assigned areas and throughout the organization. Maintains current knowledge of applicable regulations and best practices including the Joint Commission, local, state, federal, OSHA, NIMS, and other EH&S/EM related regulations.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with the community including other healthcare/pre-hospital agencies and local, state, and federal agencies.
- Responsible for appropriate EH&S/ EM meeting oversight and participation in XXXX committees that are required to integrate OTC facilities into existing functions such as Security, Equipment Management, Hazardous Materials and Waste Management.

Minimum Qualifications

At least 4 years of healthcare based experience in environmental health and safety and knowledge of the Environment of Care (EOC). In addition, must possess strong knowledge and understanding of disaster planning, emergency management or emergency preparedness. Must demonstrate knowledge of disaster management regulations and compliance. Requires excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.

Preferred Qualifications

Bachelors Degree preferred as well as pertinent professional and industry specific certifications.
I found this on LinkedIn, and it says entry-level on the side. So either A) not actually entry-level, B) entry-level pay wanting experience, or err, something else.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:00 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
Not really the issue for us. There's a bunch of Baby Boomers retiring, and the recent downturn eliminated most of the succession planning from the equation. At my work, we need experienced people to keep the wheels turning, and we can't waste months training a new hire with no experience while someone else has to pull their weight while they learn. I've had 40% of the department retire in the last two years, and another 20% eligible over the next 3 years. I need experienced people to fill those shoes.

Not ideal, but it's reality.
Businesses did it to themselves.

When no company is willing to train it is only a matter of time, as workers retire, that there won't be enough experienced workers to hire.

If you aren't continually developing your workforce it is a great way to hurt your business long term.

Businesses knew well in advance that they where going to have a large amount of workers retiring in a very short time. There was ample time for them to plan for it.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
It isn't entry level... linkedin misclassified it
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/175837886

Your description says to oversee outpatient program, not entry level... also wants an agent of change, again not someone with no industry experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment