Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

21 posts, read 18,224 times

Advertisements

Let's say that you get an email on Friday evening for a phone interview next week. Which day would you schedule it for? Tuesday is difficult because HR might not even get back to you in time with the confirmation. Friday is possibly too far out so Wednesday or Thursday is best?

Is it true to interview as soon as possible so that fewer candidates will have interviewed before you? Later you schedule it, there's a chance they will have time to interview more candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
So what if they interview more people? If one of them does better, they get the job.

Do it when you know you will have time to prepare and have a quite place for it. Schedule it so you will have your best performance because everyone else will as well

Old 10-24-2016, 11:58 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
ASAP. They'll stop responding to people once they have enough qualified candidates to sift through.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
I don't think you want to interview so late that they've picked out someone already by the time you get there. I know I've gone to a couple of interviews where they've clearly already picked someone before I've even started the interview. I don't know if that's because they've been forced to interview X# of people or because I've interviewed later on during the week, but I think it's best to go earlier so that you aren't in that position where they've picked someone before they find you.

That's especially the case if you're not willing to take the base salary, because they might very well find a stellar candidate willing to take the base pay early on during the process. Why would they be bothered to pay attention to someone later on who wants more when they already have a great candidate from earlier on who doesn't want more than the base? If they haven't seen her yet and you come in and show why you're worth 10% more from the get go, it's going to be easier to make the sale before they've met her.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:23 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
ASAP. They'll stop responding to people once they have enough qualified candidates to sift through.
Not necessarily. When my employer does phone interviews, they decide which applicants they are going to give phone interviews to, and interview everyone who was selected. No one moves forward in the process until all of the phone interviews have been completed and the candidates are scored.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
I try to schedule as early as possible. If they ask you for your availability on a friday, give them some times on Mon, Tues, and Wed. Have never had any problems with this.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
I would want to get in sooner rather than later. Although some places will decide who to interview and do all interviews, others will find someone great and stop the interviews. So I'd want to position myself so I had a great chance of getting my interview done and hopefully getting the job.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
The sooner you arrange to meet with a prospective employer for an interview, the better you look better to it. Initiative does count.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingperson15 View Post
Let's say that you get an email on Friday evening for a phone interview next week. Which day would you schedule it for? Tuesday is difficult because HR might not even get back to you in time with the confirmation. Friday is possibly too far out so Wednesday or Thursday is best?

Is it true to interview as soon as possible so that fewer candidates will have interviewed before you? Later you schedule it, there's a chance they will have time to interview more candidates.
Hi,

Typically when people try to schedule a meeting or interview with you, it's a good idea to give 3 different times for them to pick.

So for example I would say I am available between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. any day. I know that this is the time when I do not have meetings and it's usually right after lunch, not to early in the morning...

Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
I'd choose to do it Wed. Don't wait too long. You'll have plenty of time to prep and find a quiet place/time for the interview. It's generally better to do a phone interview earlier, but not so early that you're ill-prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment