Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

I am from Arizona and chose Information Technology as my career. I had no idea when I entered the field that it would be so difficult to find work that didn't take place in a call center. I had wondered for a while why there were so many call center jobs here only to find that we have the highest amount of call centers in the country.

Each time I would have an interview, I would either be told it wasn't tech support in a call center only to find out it was or the interviewer would let me know that it was for a call center position. When I go to the job boards for Arizona it is just filled with a slew of those types of jobs. Some jobs that were actual desktop support paid about $12.00. It is difficult to find work that pays well, isn't ridiculously stress, or dead-end. Has anyone else gotten stuck in this trap? How do I escape out of it?

I am beginning to serious consider moving from this state. The stress from call center work is starting to cause a serious decline in my enjoyment of life. The last two jobs I took (as well as my current position) I was told that I would not be taking calls only to find out later when I accepted the position that it was a call center. I am just so burnt out. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:40 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasurenagusa View Post
I am from Arizona and chose Information Technology as my career. I had no idea when I entered the field that it would be so difficult to find work that didn't take place in a call center. I had wondered for a while why there were so many call center jobs here only to find that we have the highest amount of call centers in the country.

Each time I would have an interview, I would either be told it wasn't tech support in a call center only to find out it was or the interviewer would let me know that it was for a call center position. When I go to the job boards for Arizona it is just filled with a slew of those types of jobs. Some jobs that were actual desktop support paid about $12.00. It is difficult to find work that pays well, isn't ridiculously stress, or dead-end. Has anyone else gotten stuck in this trap? How do I escape out of it?

I am beginning to serious consider moving from this state. The stress from call center work is starting to cause a serious decline in my enjoyment of life. The last two jobs I took (as well as my current position) I was told that I would not be taking calls only to find out later when I accepted the position that it was a call center. I am just so burnt out. What should I do?
Gotta start somewhere to get actual IT experience

Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Question: Do you have any Previous IT experience or certs?

Old 11-01-2016, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,635 times
Yes, so far I have two years of IT experience.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Your probably looking at the wrong places
Plenty of IT jobs in Phoenix Arizona

Old 11-02-2016, 06:04 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that not all IT experiences are equal. When you said you have 2 years of IT experience, what do you mean?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Keep in mind that not all IT experiences are equal. When you said you have 2 years of IT experience, what do you mean?
Help desk im guessing

Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
Going to make a somewhat blanket statement here.
Jobs that pay $12-$14ish per hour=easy to find in a metro area. Terrible to try to live on...
Jobs that pay more liviable financially but still not great at $15 + - $17+ ish per hours=need to be referred in and somewhat harder to get posted in
Jobs that pay $18ish on up=terribly hard to find, get in and keep. The jobs that pay enough for one to live, save, invest, and vacation 2x per year are still almost impossible to nail unless you have an "in".
It.s true in the southwest and here in the midwest.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:08 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
What pay range are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment