Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What I find amusing about this is that the OP complains about other people not learning yet does not take the time to learn the cause of this himself.
Uh, isn't he here asking why people do this? I really don't get your point, other than you tried to come up with something negative to say, and this was the best you could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 06:08 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
If they know you have the info. they want, it's much easier to ask you instead of them doing the research to get it, so you're doing the work, not them. In other words, they don't want to do it. They don't want to deal with it. The same thing happens to me all the time. Customers asking me for info. that's clearly written in an e-mail. It's not even a long e-mail either because I know they won't read anything long. I just chuckle at it because I know they're just skimming.

When you said not long ago, you were all on the same team, just normal people. Was that BEFORE you had to work with them? Working with someone will bring out their true selves, yours and theirs. You will discover habits and work styles both pleasant and unpleasant. Personalities may clash. "You really don't know someone until you work or live with them." It's SO true.
I have a co-worker that used to send out 2 page emails when all I needed was one number or one piece of info. It was tedious to read and I really did not care about most of it.

If you make your correspondence too long or convoluted people wont read it ... unless you are truly writing a gold mine worth of content.

Also I have to ask what kind of wages are we talking about here, if this is a low wage high turn around work place then that's exactly what you are going to get, people who are not invested and don't care and just need a check until they find a better job.

I will read an entire text book so long as the content is profound.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:55 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Uh, isn't he here asking why people do this? I really don't get your point, other than you tried to come up with something negative to say, and this was the best you could do.
LOL, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

But I have a hard time believing that random people on the Internet would know more about this particular situation THAN THE PEOPLE INVOLVED.

He should ask them if he wants to know.

But if you would like to give the forum a specific breakdown of all the people involved and their reason(s) for doing this that would be great.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
People don't learn because they are lazy or do not understand the value of it.

I see this a lot and, quite frankly, think this internet age is responsible for most of it. You want to know something? Google. You don't have to learn anything. Every answer, every opinion, every thought is already out there for people to just pluck out of the ether and use.

If I worked with people who constantly asked me questions they could find for themselves, I would explain how to find that information clearly one time and then repeat, "It's in the database" when they asked for anything more than a simple answer. It's not mean. It's called people taking responsibility for their own work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment