Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:00 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
To the OP... I think you are completely misunderstanding the concept of why they are asking you these questions... Most of the blue collar workers I dealt with have this mentality and very few can think outside of the tangible work.

Blue collar jobs are designed for mindless machinery...(this is not meant to be mean or downgrading) There is no interpretation on if or how you should move a rock or shovel gravel... It's more of a functional position.

White collar Jobs require thought and MENTAL cooperation, which can include strategic career moves... Being able to negotiate, handle negative scenario like a educated adult (not retaliate), and cooperation beyond a tangible product.

Not saying that your orginal thought doesn't happen , it does constantly... Just think if you want to get into a white collar job, need to stop thinking blue collar.
I think you're wrong. Lots of white collar jobs are mindless dronery too like call centers. On the other hand a very technical savy position like auto transmission rebuilder can take the skill level of a phd to grasp the technical concepts and to make it to the expert level. Many of these skilled labor jobs are not ditch digger positions, you have to be smart and have an analytical mind or you won't make it far. Often there will not be a procedure or specific information available to solve a problem and the technician must use ingenuity and creativity. Just because you use your hands for work does not mean you are a mindless piece of machniery. Surgeons use their hands for work too.

It's about how your mind is wired. Many people who program computers can't fix a doorknob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I think you're wrong. Lots of white collar jobs are mindless dronery too like call centers. On the other hand a very technical savy position like auto transmission rebuilder can take the skill level of a phd to grasp the technical concepts and to make it to the expert level. Many of these skilled labor jobs are not ditch digger positions, you have to be smart and have an analytical mind or you won't make it far. Often there will not be a procedure or specific information available to solve a problem and the technician must use ingenuity and creativity. Just because you use your hands for work does not mean you are a mindless piece of machniery. Surgeons use their hands for work too.

It's about how your mind is wired. Many people who program computers can't fix a doorknob.

Had a successful white collar career writing disability regulations; in fact able to retire at 53.

Never able to grasp even semi-skilled blue collar concepts or blue collar common sense. You should see me trying to put a new chain on a chain saw. This hasn't been due to any lack of physical strength or absent manual dexterity (can play a guitar) just no mechanical aptitude. I envy how so-called "grease monkeys" can diagnose and fix problems.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 AM

1,850 posts, read 819,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
One word: Women
Anyone who disagrees with him is wrong.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Anyone who disagrees with him is wrong.
White collar jobs often have a lot of downtime which leads to this kind of behavior. In blue collar work, the workers are constantly working from the time they clock in to the time they leave. So little time for any bickering or other nonsense. There is also more of a sense of camaraderie, particularly if it's a union job. In white collar office work the co-workers are your competitors and you'e always trying to one-up them to get that next step up the ladder.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:15 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Had a successful white collar career writing disability regulations; in fact able to retire at 53.

Never able to grasp even semi-skilled blue collar concepts or blue collar common sense. You should see me trying to put a new chain on a chain saw. This hasn't been due to any lack of physical strength or absent manual dexterity (can play a guitar) just no mechanical aptitude. I envy how so-called "grease monkeys" can diagnose and fix problems.
Same here.

Took me years to be able to change my oil in under one hour or put together a piece of IKEA furniture.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:26 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:

Quote:

And so help me guys, right after my last post, went upstairs to notice the one-handle sink faucet had a drip. Wasn't dripping last night. My late wife left a note in the kitchen drawer referring to a Moen 1225 cartridge. YouTube has several videos on how to replace, but I'll screw up sure as hell; end up looking like something like the Three Stooges.

No choice but to call the friendly plumber after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,795 times
Quote:
And so help me guys, right after my last post, went upstairs to notice the one-handle sink faucet had a drip. Wasn't dripping last night. My late wife left a note in the kitchen drawer referring to a Moen 1225 cartridge. YouTube has several videos on how to replace, but I'll screw up sure as hell; end up looking like something like the Three Stooges.

No choice but to call the friendly plumber after Thanksgiving.
I think you can do it! Just take your time and go slow.

I had an office for 3 years and I could hardly sit still. Legs shaking nonstop, rocking back and forth, etc. On the other hand I've been fixing, building, and tinkering with things since I was 5 years old. I can get in the zone and time flies by. Afterwards I feel accomplished unlike the white collar job which had no real gratification or sense of job completion.

Happy thanksgiving by the way.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
One word: Women
Sorry to say this is true from my experience working with my own gender. I've had corporate jobs with mostly male co-workers in R&D and the petty crap was just not there. No bickering. No backstabbing. No passive aggressive behavior. Looking back, those were the best jobs of my career. But I've also held jobs working with mostly women. Miserable experience. The job itself may be great, but the culture was one of distrust to the point of treachery. Sad to say. I'll take a job that is in a male-oriented environment over one with women any day, even if I have to accept lower pay. The peace of mind is worth it. I will always pick a male boss over a female, if given the choice. I just work better with men because they make it easy to be around them.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:

I think the biggest difference is between the job is the role your colleagues play in your day to day. Pat blue collar jobs you spend most of your day focused on your individual role.

I don't think blue collar jobs are easy. Or mindless. Just different.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,392 times
A lot of interviews I've been in the past almost three years have been like this. One person didn't choose me and then called me back almost six months later. Outright told me "I didn't choose you, because I didn't like how you answered the question on conflict. However, the candidates who answered differently don't have the coping skills I believe you do". She didn't like my answer that if things weren't going the way she wanted (gossiping or conflict) I wouldn't come to her or admin until I felt it was a real issue. I guess those who went to her for every little problem probably annoyed her. Now, they're out of business. That's what it really boils down to. In many white collar jobs they're too much micromanaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment