Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 PM

115 posts, read 198,727 times

Advertisements

I have been at my job a year and a half. It has been the most hostile, mentally abusive and emotionally draining experience. I work 60 plus hours a week as a salaried employee. I am constantly disrespected by my boss, am constantly thrown under the bus for things that I'd didn't do and am lied on and talked about throughout the executive ranks. My boss uses me as a scapegoat and the others believe it. A couple months ago I reported my boss to HR. We talked it out and it seemed to be okay for a couple days. They recently hired another person who stayed two weeks and quit due to my bosses behavior. This is corporate America not a high turnover place. I have extreme anxiety in this regard.

Last week my coworker and I were talking outside about how hard it is to work under our manager, how mean the manager can be and we were overheard by another director who went and told my boss that I not we had said these things

Today my bosses' boss who is a VP in the organization came to my cube and belittled me. He taunted me for claiming to HR that people had been mean to me. His eyes were full of hate and honestly I feared for my well being. His taunting was in front of my coworker. While I still had another hour or so of work I immediately left and have been thinking that enough is enough and I just don't want to ever go back. This isn't the first time that my bosses boss has yelled at me in front of others.

I don't have another job lined up yet but it's really scary enduring their intimidation tactics. I have a few months living expenses saved up and may qualify for unemployment even when quitting as the state I live in allows for quitting under extreme circumstances.

At this point I know my employer especially my boss will attempt to blackball me if I look for another job whether I'm employed there or not. Giving the amount of hours that I work there it's impossible for me to look while employed

I'm looking for encouragement and prayer. What methods have you used to help you get through a hostile working environment where it became apparent that they were trying to push you out. What have you done when going to HR hasn't worked?

Help me please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:45 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
This is a bad company if you are being honest.
HR sounds inept, but dont let them force you out.
Let them fire you and then get a lawyer if they have no real cause. Do your job, document problems and
dont talk badly about people.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
I have been at my job a year and a half. It has been the most hostile, mentally abusive and emotionally draining experience. I work 60 plus hours a week as a salaried employee. I am constantly disrespected by my boss, am constantly thrown under the bus for things that I'd didn't do and am lied on and talked about throughout the executive ranks. My boss uses me as a scapegoat and the others believe it. A couple months ago I reported my boss to HR. We talked it out and it seemed to be okay for a couple days. They recently hired another person who stayed two weeks and quit due to my bosses behavior. This is corporate America not a high turnover place. I have extreme anxiety in this regard.

Last week my coworker and I were talking outside about how hard it is to work under our manager, how mean the manager can be and we were overheard by another director who went and told my boss that I not we had said these things

Today my bosses' boss who is a VP in the organization came to my cube and belittled me. He taunted me for claiming to HR that people had been mean to me. His eyes were full of hate and honestly I feared for my well being. His taunting was in front of my coworker. While I still had another hour or so of work I immediately left and have been thinking that enough is enough and I just don't want to ever go back. This isn't the first time that my bosses boss has yelled at me in front of others.

I don't have another job lined up yet but it's really scary enduring their intimidation tactics. I have a few months living expenses saved up and may qualify for unemployment even when quitting as the state I live in allows for quitting under extreme circumstances.

At this point I know my employer especially my boss will attempt to blackball me if I look for another job whether I'm employed there or not. Giving the amount of hours that I work there it's impossible for me to look while employed

I'm looking for encouragement and prayer. What methods have you used to help you get through a hostile working environment where it became apparent that they were trying to push you out. What have you done when going to HR hasn't worked?

Help me please
I am sorry this is happening. I think they hope you will quit. Otherwise they risk you getting unemployment if fired.

Be satisfied that every moment you are there, you have won. Let THEM fire YOU. Maybe gather proof it is a retaliation firing in case you need to contact even the higher ups than this or maybe use it to get unemployment benefits. Bring a small tape recorder to work with you. Probably cannot use it but off the record it can be utlized.
Gather as much proof about your working hours, your performance, and such as you can. You might need it later on

Old 11-29-2016, 05:53 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post

Help me please
Stop making excuses, if your skills are on point then you will have no trouble finding a new job.

I do believe there is more to this story, asking on a public forum for encouragement and prayers coupled with statements like "honestly feared for my well being," makes you sound overly dramatic. Plus, you did not help your situation by talking about the negative aspects of your boss while at work with a coworker, nothing good could have come out of that conversation.

Bottom line, find a new job, you want to leave, they want you to leave, so make everyone happy and leave.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:00 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Even if your skills arent on point, you need to leave...having areas of your skillset that you can improve upon is irrelevant and is no excuse for a boss to act like a childish jackass...thats what all those leadership seminars they go to are for: so they actually learn how to be a good leader while addressing issues they have with their subordinates.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Commit to finding a new job whenever you are not ar work. Im doing this now, though its because the business is doing very poorly and we no longer get paid on time. Get home from work, spend time applying and networking. Keep moving forward-you are still working so you have an advantage here. Every action you take to move out of this place is the right direction.

Some people are hostile, even nuts in workplaces but many are not. If you have skills and a good work history you have the tools to get out. You mention you work 60 plus hours a week; can you cut back a bit to get some more free time to seek work and de stress?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Try to find a new job before your quit the one you have.

I am very disheartened where I work - I am retiring next year so at least I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

We all sit in cubicles where I work, the superboss came in and worked over one of the newer guys. Really embarrassing and everyone was very upset and unsettled. Textbook what not to do as a boss. I have no respect for this yahoo anymore.

Then yesterday I was told by my supervisor not to email superboss anymore, as I interrupted him from doing his yearly training. Funny, I thought he might want to enter his time so he could be paid. Oh well, no more emails to him.

Cannot wait to be free. I truly feel sorry for those who are here - they are treated so crappy. Typical government job I guess.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
This is a bad company if you are being honest.
HR sounds inept, but dont let them force you out.
Let them fire you and then get a lawyer if they have no real cause. Do your job, document problems and
dont talk badly about people.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I am sorry this is happening. I think they hope you will quit. Otherwise they risk you getting unemployment if fired.

Be satisfied that every moment you are there, you have won. Let THEM fire YOU. Maybe gather proof it is a retaliation firing in case you need to contact even the higher ups than this or maybe use it to get unemployment benefits. Bring a small tape recorder to work with you. Probably cannot use it but off the record it can be utlized.
Gather as much proof about your working hours, your performance, and such as you can. You might need it later on
Thank you. I've had time to sleep on it. And I think I will try what you say.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Stop making excuses, if your skills are on point then you will have no trouble finding a new job.

I do believe there is more to this story, asking on a public forum for encouragement and prayers coupled with statements like "honestly feared for my well being," makes you sound overly dramatic. Plus, you did not help your situation by talking about the negative aspects of your boss while at work with a coworker, nothing good could have come out of that conversation.

Bottom line, find a new job, you want to leave, they want you to leave, so make everyone happy and leave.
Chb119, I understand your feedback but things are as described. I asked the forum because the forum has helped in the past. I find the forum to be neutral third parties who let us OPs know when we are right and when we are wrong and gives insight or views We may not have seen. Last night I was literally at my whits end and was perfectly okay just not going back to work today or ever again. The views of all the responders actually gave me/ is giving me the encouragement that I need to just give it one more day and to let me know that things will be okay when this job comes to and end sooner or later. Work life is hard and yesterday I just wanted to give up without a plan....

The bottom line is I shouldn't have complained about my boss and my bosses boss nor my boss should act the way they act either.... My bosses boss has never asked me how I like working there, what do I endure, what suggestions I have for improvement, nothing. My bosses boss could've also handled his concerns with me differently by first getting my side of the story and what life has been like for me for the past year and a half ... But regardless I understand my wrongdoing and am grateful to everyone that has responded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment