Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
It has been my experience that most of the guys who "live" at their job have something at home so bad that they would rather be away at work.

For one co-worker, it was a complaining wife.
For another, he could not deal with his 4 teenage kids and thus preferred to volunteer for extra night shifts and let his wife deal with it.
Also some guys don't have any hobbies or interests outside of their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 11:46 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Did this for years until the Summer. Retail was often 12 hours 70 hr work weeks as a manager. Holiday season with mall open later was 16 hours. My long term hotel job had 12 hour shifts some days also.

While having some overtime in an expensive city was helpful , I missed many holidays, many events and time with people who are no longer around. It could be good for shorter periods to sock away some cash, or when starting a new job to pay ones dues if needed but not for years.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Did this for years until the Summer. Retail was often 12 hours 70 hr work weeks as a manager. Holiday season with mall open later was 16 hours. My long term hotel job had 12 hour shifts some days also.

While having some overtime in an expensive city was helpful , I missed many holidays, many events and time with people who are no longer around. It could be good for shorter periods to sock away some cash, or when starting a new job to pay ones dues if needed but not for years.

I am assuming the retail manager job was on salary. One of the reasons why i got out of the business. At one point I was making minimum wage to less than minimum wage.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 PM

997 posts, read 936,615 times
I used to grab all the overtime I could. I had a family and there was a black hole where the money went. I couldn't earn enough to keep up, but I could make it work if I worked the overtime.

Would I rather have money worries, or sore feet? I would take the sore feet any day. I worked plenty of long days on my feet, and I kind of liked it. I am a workaholic type. When you are at work, then that is the only thing you have to worry about.

I was always taught that I was 'supposed' to work, always. If there was money to be made then I had to make it. The family took priority, but my job was to bring home as much bacon as I could.

When I was single, before I had a family, I knew I was supposed to work to prepare for what was to come.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:02 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Is that somehting to be proud about? Being in pain and hobbling out of the company to your car? Not something I'd ever want anymore....

Ain't it right...

Grateful Slave - The Lawful Path

Old 12-03-2016, 02:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
I haven't done that in awhile. It seems I am becoming a staple at my job. Very nice.

I know people work way way longer than that, including some that do 15 hours 7AM-10PM Monday through Friday.. some probably work more.. but, if they are handing out ANY extra time I'll take it. Id rather fight burn out, 2nd job filling in my days off, then not have.

Anyone else work long days to where their feet hurt?
I am scheduled two 18 hr shifts per week but always work more. My feet do not ever hurt, if that were the case, 11 hours would be a VERY VERY long shift!!

I am a Supporive Living Supervisor though towards the middle of the shift, it turns into being paid to be a staff member so the pay is somewhat lower but...I am paid to sleep. I shower on the premesis, floss, watch tv on the computer, whatever...a little paperwork but not much. This is after about 9:30am. I am technically on-call but am hardly ever awoken. If so, then back to sleep within 15 minutes.

In Oct & Nov (last two months) I did an extra 50.5 hr shift.
This netted about $720 gross for the weekend due to overtime but 36 hrs+50.5=86.5 hrs in one week. This kicks my butt to where it takes two full days to unwind.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 PM

1,180 posts, read 777,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's all? Really? To hear some people on here talk they all work 20 hour days every day and then answer work emails the other 4.
I dont understand this post... you also didnt read or quote all of mine...

And. If they work all day, how do they talk about having a life?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:02 PM

I think you're right, though.

The "Supervisors.." well, one is ALWAYS late. Sometimes doesn't come at all. Her hours are cut, (hourly work) but Im looking to see if she gets removed completely. You'd think she owns the store when she is here. Haven't seen her in a week....

So, as posted before, its true, I dont want to be the "Golden Employee" so I want to strike a balance between the hard work and being "Profitably and promotably stupid." The ACTUAL manager does seem to like me. The other "management" - some ESLs... they are so cliquey and one is so catty. I just ignore them. I feel like I work for Nicky Minaj. I just side-step.. do me. I get my instructions from the Supervisor closest the Manager...

Old 12-03-2016, 03:12 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Years ago I worked 12 hour shifts and sometimes worked 18 when someone called out sick. There were other times I would work 7 12's in a row. It was good money at the time but I wouldn't do it again. I have found a different way to make money that doesn't consume that much of my time.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Is that somehting to be proud about? Being in pain and hobbling out of the company to your car? Not something I'd ever want anymore....
You're absolutely right?? But.. I feel beggars can't can't choosers.

Im in the city with the highest minimum wage in the USA on January 1st 2017 (Boston Massachusetts at $11/hr) until L.A. or whoever bests us... and I live in a homeless shelter (for clean and sober folks. Should be no more thefts, unless I ... it could happen but im in a better spot than I was, for a shelter. Is still some riff-raff but hey, its a shelter.) and I am about to turn up the heat on Job 2 because MAcapulco needs more money, needs that $1000 car again, The walking "home" can be the hardest part and yes Amazon had me to the point where me driving home at the 70-75MPH Turnpike speed was very dangerous, as I shoulda just stayed in the lot and slept... Im not asking for your sympathy, just telling you where it is I am at and what it is that I want and what I am willing to do to get there.

One job alone I can't do it.

"Life? What life. I got no life." - Lt. Col. Frank Slade. (Ret.)

^ Thats how I feel, im just not drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment