Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

I had the same problem with two coworkers who threaten to quit, and they have been saying that for a year. They are still working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
"Coworker talks about quitting frequently"

Really?
I would think that once somebody quits, he/she is gone from that job.
In light of that reality, how can a coworker "quit frequently"?

However, some coworkers might...frequently talk about quitting...

Old 12-09-2016, 06:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
My guess is he's trying to get "let go" or some sort of deal where his position is eliminated so he can draw unemployment.

If he quits he gets nothing. If he gets eliminated he may be able to collect unemployment or at least fight for it.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
When I first started working, I had a co-worker who despised everything about the company and talked nasty about it all the time. He kept telling me I needed to get out and get a "real job." Some people just can't keep their opinions to themselves, and feel more comfortable threatening to do something drastic than actually attempting to do it.

Ironically, I grew to hate that company myself, but that was a decade later after massive changes were made.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:29 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
He either talks directly to me or, since I sit near him, I overhear him talking/threatening about wanting to do it. This morning, a coworker came to talk to him about a mistake or something he had made and his response was, "It doesn't matter because I'm leaving in a month."

I mean, I don't much like my job there either and have posted about it here but all the same, I don't go around telling coworkers that I want to quit or am leaving in the near future. I don't know what his end game is. Is he hoping they fire him, will he actually quit, or does he just want attention?
I agree, this is annoying. I once listened to a co-worker talk constantly about the new job she would be going to, that paid more. I finally mentioned it to a supervisor. I know I shouldn't have done that, but I was just tired of hearing it. I kept thinking, "if you can go someplace else so easily, why haven't you done it already?"

Old 12-12-2016, 01:44 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Just ignore it! Unless it affects you directly, who cares if he stays or goes??

Old 12-12-2016, 02:41 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Anyone who is being that open about it is either looking for attention or completely incompetent.

If you want to leave so badly, find something else. It isn't that hard. There is no need to make everyone else miserable routinely.

At one of my former employers, everyone was miserable and everyone knew everyone else was miserable. Whenever one of us had "a call," we would step out saying we had "discrete personal business" to attend to. It got to where everyone was covering for everyone else's "personal business." There was a lot of turnover, but no one was being dramatic or trying to call lots of attention to it.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:04 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Who knows his real reason. There are a hundred reasons for why someone says/does something.

Maybe he's just so frustrated all the time and threatening to quit is his way of stress relief, but once the feeling passes, he's fine again, until the next time he's fed up.

Or deep down, he knows it's hard to leave because there's no guarantee he'll find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment