Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a job be a right?
Yes 20 16.00%
No 105 84.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:16 PM

242 posts, read 158,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you had a right to a job, how could The Man intimidate you by threatening your income and ability to make a living?

The Elites would never go for that.

The only right you have is The Pursuit of Happiness. That means you need to take action. Stop whining.
I HAVE taken action. I've put in tons of job applications, called places back. I got an interview at one place before, same place twice actually. I just forget about it because I wasn't hired after either time, they might as well have never called me in! No point in counting those. It was a group interview by the way, for a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:23 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
I HAVE taken action. I've put in tons of job applications, called places back. I got an interview at one place before, same place twice actually. I just forget about it because I wasn't hired after either time, they might as well have never called me in! No point in counting those. It was a group interview by the way, for a grocery store.

I don't even know why we call places back you know. They act like they're annoyed with you when you follow up even though you had an interview.

It's frustrating. The slackers often get the job. I know because I've seen them. One guy at Best Buy lied to me about something and then that same guy was still there years later and wasn't paying any damn attention to my order so he ordered the wrong thing online. I should have done it myself but I figured I was already there and I thought maybe he would be a little better. Of course the other employees were good but I have seen incompetence too many times in these stores for it to be okay. I know people make mistakes but it just seemed so careless the way it happened. I would never do that yet they didn't even call me for an interview..apparently because I failed that stupid personality test.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
my opinion? i dont own a dog or drink wine or eat X food. i will sell them though. i can tell you what is in the dog food, what wine pairs with food, what X food is made from. i can not tell you if you will like the wine or food, if your dog will like it.

you dont know if your dog has an allergy unless you take it to a vet. the pet store employee suggesting a different brand is no different than what i said. the first option didnt work, so they gave a second choice. Wellness, never heard of it, but why would i think it is not the second popular brand after the first? i would not suggest foods based on "medical" issues if i was not certain of the medical condition. i might suggest away from it but i cant say which would work best for it, i did not go to school for it. what if they said your dog has a condition that wellness would help with? the dog dies and turns out wellness made it worst? the store would be liable and you could sue.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
my opinion? i dont own a dog or drink wine or eat X food. i will sell them though. i can tell you what is in the dog food, what wine pairs with food, what X food is made from. i can not tell you if you will like the wine or food, if your dog will like it.

you dont know if your dog has an allergy unless you take it to a vet. the pet store employee suggesting a different brand is no different than what i said. the first option didnt work, so they gave a second choice. Wellness, never heard of it, but why would i think it is not the second popular brand after the first? i would not suggest foods based on "medical" issues if i was not certain of the medical condition. i might suggest away from it but i cant say which would work best for it, i did not go to school for it. what if they said your dog has a condition that wellness would help with? the dog dies and turns out wellness made it worst? the store would be liable and you could sue.

Okay then maybe not you but if I do have two dogs at home then they would want my honest input. Yeah but do you know what is best? You can sell stuff that is not as good all you want but most sensible customers won't like it. Pizza Hut lost my business for this reason. They sold me cruddy pizza for a terrible price so now I'm not going there for a long time if at all.

It goes both ways. If they suggested the most popular brand instead of what's best the store would be liable and they could sue.

Actually I know by experience. You don't always need a vet to tell you these things. I am not operating on the dog so this is not the same thing..just recommending what is the best product. My dog has been scratching a lot since I've had him but ever since I got him on Wellness and the recommendation of the fish oil tablets by another pet store employee he has not been scratching that much anymore.
Besides this is far better than what Petsmart actually does. Do you know how many times they have let a dog to die when grooming? I know that makes it obvious that they only care about profits but I want to show them that they can make profits while still being able to make the dog as healthy as they can be.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
OP, you have obviously given a lot of thought to the question you raise. Yet, you need to dig a little deeper.

For example, you ask the question, "wouldn't it be better to have country with no unemployed people?" What do you think would happen if unemployment were at 0.00%? What do you think would happen if employers needed employees, but none were available except for those who had to be persuaded to leave their current employment? When unemployment gets too low, wages get too high. Workers have s much negotiating power that employers are forced to pay higher and higher wages to attract the human resources. They cycle would continue to spiral and the cost of goods and services would also be driven up and up and up. We would have hyper inflation. Low unemployment rates are good. Non-existent unemployment would be bad, very bad. Marketplace balance is what we need. Pressures from all sides to keep things in check.

You state that "all employment is at will in this country." This assumption seems to drive much of your thoughts about whether a job should be a right. The problem is your assumption is false. All employment is not at will in this country. Anyone who works under contract is not at will. Union workers are not at will. (They work under a contract known as a collective bargaining agreement). Most government workers are not employed at will. Most have the right to due process before being deprived of their property interest in holding their government job. That's a long way of saying, most government workers have a Constitutional right to keep their jobs. In one state (Montana) there is no at will employment. Employees in Montana cannot belfried without just cause. So, your macro-economic analysis needs some work.

You think: "Either I have been tricked into believing all the negative people who say life is just hard and everything is doom and gloom, or I am making a valid point!" Not exactly. Your view of the workplace, employment, and labor economics is too simple. We have more options than you see.

Even in those countries where people have a right to their job, the right is typically the right to KEEP their job. They cannot be fired without just cause. But, they can be fired. And, they don't have a right to be employed simply because they desire to be employed. Employees need to contribute to the economic engine. The engine has to require the fuel that is the productivity of employees. In other words, someone has to be willing to buy what the employee is willing to produce at the price that will make the consumer and the producer able to continue producing and consuming.

Your view of the U.S. workforce is much like an Adam Smith Wealth of Nations look at capitalism and employment. That seemed right back in his day, but we have since learned that the system is much more nuanced.

I vote, no. Getting a job is not and should not be a right. Our economy could never afford it. Now, if you want to talk about whether we should eliminate at-will employment and make sure that every worker is entitled to keep their job unless an employer has just cause to terminate employment, that is a very different discussion. It starts with: what penalties should there be if an employer terminates employment without just cause?
Your statement <BOLD> is a bit misleading. While they may not be exactly an "At Will" state they can terminate "At Will" during the probationary period and, I can tell you from direct experience it's not hard at all to get around the "Wrongful Discharge Act". "Good Cause" can be almost anything and frequently is exactly that, almost anything.

Excerpt below.
Quote:
Montana is unique on this one. We have a "Wrongful Discharge from Employment Act". MCA 39-2-901 states a discharge is wrongful only if:
1) It was in retaliation for the employee's refusal to violate public policy or for reporting a violation of public policy;
(2) The discharge was not for good cause and the employee had completed the employer's probationary period of employment; or
(3) The employer violated the express provisions of its own written personnel policy.

The only time Montana employers can practice "At Will Employment" in Montana is during the employee's probationary period.
Frequently Asked Questions

Old 12-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't think people have a right to a job. People have a right to compete for jobs, but that competition is based upon an individuals abilities and skills. You don't have a right to be chosen just because you want to work. There is a core difference there. Companies look for the most skilled people because they have to maintain the ability to compete in their space. If they were forced to hire every person that warmed their doorstep regardless of skill, there is a high probability that quality would suffer.

People have opportunities for education. Some don't take them or don't work hard to make sure they learn all that they can. Some people are generally lousy workers and want more than they work for. Should those people be given the same pay, or the same jobs as those who have worked twice as hard to get them? In my opinion, no. We all have similar opportunities, but we all approach those in different ways.

If you want to live where jobs are guaranteed, move to China, North Korea, or one of the communist countries who make sure their people are working. Then you can let the government decide what you do. Then they can decide how much you make, where you live, how many kids you can have, etc... Something to think about.

At the present moment in our country, we are allowed to make the choices for ourselves. We are also allowed to fail. That responsibility lies with each individual.
I can't think for myself anyway, it'd be easier to be a robot, take me to eat and I will struggle to decide what to order, even if I have to decide at last minute.

The government would decide how much I make? That sucks, but at least it'll be more than $0.00. They decide where I live too? This really sucks. They decide how many kids I have? Well, first off, I don't want any kids. Second, it takes getting laid to make a baby, which may or may not be harder to get (getting laid) than a job.

People say America is the easiest country to make it in, many people are proof that it is not. People in their 30s, 40s, 50s, dead people. They were miserable their whole life, worked a dead end job they hate, never worked at all, never got someone to date them, never managed to lose their virginity, never even had any friends. Add to that, people who work their a$$es off of their body, STILL struggle their whole life, even working full time or more than that. But, millionaires exist, I wish I knew their secret, or had their power of luck/that the higher beings would allow me to have the same success/whatever reality really is.

Working hard doesn't make the vast majority of people rich, many still struggle to live a basic life (almost everyone regardless of financial status have gotten laid and a partner though, somehow, somewhere, some way).

And does working as a retailer, or working for any other company or business really make you important? Does it really make you matter in this world? You can matter to loved ones? Yes, if you can get loved ones. I say you matter and make a difference in the world if you make a positive impact in at least one person's life, but my mood and personalities will just swing and I'll feel worthless again anyway.

After high school, people have implied that life is more of a something for all and any human beings. Finding love, getting laid, getting any job/career you want, (I'm saying other people and the world may not control your life, but YOU actually have the control of your life) people (at least most?) don't make fun of you for what high schoolers did, which is confusing, because i only know that world, I don't know what the real world is like, I left to go into when I could but it was a puzzle that I failed to solve. I couldn't figure out how to do anything social, I didn't get employment (surely some jobs can be gotten in 1-7 days right?), I didn't get to lose my virginity, I didn't even make $0.01 while I was gone (until the tiny town roommate who got her dad to pay me for yard work, just $30 for one day). I had to have my parents send me money to get to the location I am now. And some when I was robbed in that motel in the f*cking ghetto.

I don't understand how people (especially the young teens, not even 15 and you got laid?) do most things so easily. Right at 16 (or younger which I don't get because it's illegal to employ someone under 16 in the US) they get hired for a job, they get laid (way before 16 for most!), they had a girlfriend (or boyfriend), some even have college plans and even have their parents on board with it! That one guy got a full time scholarship to go to an OUT OF STATE UNIVERSITY, f*cking awesome.

Is it too late for me to be successful at life? Can I do all those things that everyone else does, even though I'm almost 21 years old and never done any of them? I won't remain stuck in a rural area, but I'm scared that still no one will hire me, but I may just be uneducated on how to get hired...

I'd sell my soul to the devil to gain control over my life (one night I actually tried, Internet was out and I just lost it having no one to talk to, I tried to summon any spirits that may be out there to come to me, I got no visits from the devil or any spirits, maybe because none of them exist).

I gave up on trying to contact God long ago. Figured Satan might be the one to help. I know this probably makes me sound like a complete psycho, but keep in mind, being physically/socially isolated for long, does turn you delusional actually...

One day (when I was still at home way out in the woods, many miles from literally anything) I got super paranoid and actually BELIEVED that I was in a simulation or TV Show (yes I know there's a disorder named after the Truman Show) and was freaking the f*ck out. I was like who's doing this to me, please I've had enough, let me out of here! Why didn't I kill myself to get out of the virtual reality? Because I knew it might actually be real life (just like a small part of me is too willing to live and keep trying to succeed in life to let me kill myself) and then I'd be dead.

I've been struggling to tell if a memory was a dream, or real life, I think usually they're a dream. I still wake up screaming, sometimes threats, sometimes just screaming out of fear. I know, how odd for an almost 21 year old to still wake up screaming, that's little kid stuff.

I can't wait weeks or months to start making progress in life, I could MAYBE if I knew it was a guarantee, but I won't last a day without falling into a negative depressive mood. I have my highs, my lows, and sometimes my in betweens.......................... I'm many people in one body.......

I found I was most confident with people (specifically ladies!) when I was far from any of my family or anyone who knew who I was, I think that is the REAL me. When I came here he retracted back in like a scared turtle into it's shell. Not as bad as when I lived with immediate family, but I don't have anyone to see here anyway. (Note, single ladies don't exist here and like I said all people know everything and will DESTROY someone, Facebook and real life are directly linked here, and even on their own they act like immature idiots, that's not how adults are supposed to act, acting like or even more immature than their own children, SMH.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 PM

Don't even get me started on making money online, if it's legit, the pay is sh*t. If it says it's a lot, then real it is not.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
How could work be a right? You can't make someone work who doesn't want to and you can't make someone employable if they don't have the right skills. There's a job out there for everyone, but you have to apply for a job that you have skills for. And keep applying till you get one.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
I can't think for myself anyway, it'd be easier to be a robot, take me to eat and I will struggle to decide what to order, even if I have to decide at last minute.

The government would decide how much I make? That sucks, but at least it'll be more than $0.00. They decide where I live too? This really sucks. They decide how many kids I have? Well, first off, I don't want any kids. Second, it takes getting laid to make a baby, which may or may not be harder to get (getting laid) than a job.

People say America is the easiest country to make it in, many people are proof that it is not. People in their 30s, 40s, 50s, dead people. They were miserable their whole life, worked a dead end job they hate, never worked at all, never got someone to date them, never managed to lose their virginity, never even had any friends. Add to that, people who work their a$$es off of their body, STILL struggle their whole life, even working full time or more than that. But, millionaires exist, I wish I knew their secret, or had their power of luck/that the higher beings would allow me to have the same success/whatever reality really is.

Working hard doesn't make the vast majority of people rich, many still struggle to live a basic life (almost everyone regardless of financial status have gotten laid and a partner though, somehow, somewhere, some way).

And does working as a retailer, or working for any other company or business really make you important? Does it really make you matter in this world? You can matter to loved ones? Yes, if you can get loved ones. I say you matter and make a difference in the world if you make a positive impact in at least one person's life, but my mood and personalities will just swing and I'll feel worthless again anyway.

After high school, people have implied that life is more of a something for all and any human beings. Finding love, getting laid, getting any job/career you want, (I'm saying other people and the world may not control your life, but YOU actually have the control of your life) people (at least most?) don't make fun of you for what high schoolers did, which is confusing, because i only know that world, I don't know what the real world is like, I left to go into when I could but it was a puzzle that I failed to solve. I couldn't figure out how to do anything social, I didn't get employment (surely some jobs can be gotten in 1-7 days right?), I didn't get to lose my virginity, I didn't even make $0.01 while I was gone (until the tiny town roommate who got her dad to pay me for yard work, just $30 for one day). I had to have my parents send me money to get to the location I am now. And some when I was robbed in that motel in the f*cking ghetto.

I don't understand how people (especially the young teens, not even 15 and you got laid?) do most things so easily. Right at 16 (or younger which I don't get because it's illegal to employ someone under 16 in the US) they get hired for a job, they get laid (way before 16 for most!), they had a girlfriend (or boyfriend), some even have college plans and even have their parents on board with it! That one guy got a full time scholarship to go to an OUT OF STATE UNIVERSITY, f*cking awesome.

Is it too late for me to be successful at life? Can I do all those things that everyone else does, even though I'm almost 21 years old and never done any of them? I won't remain stuck in a rural area, but I'm scared that still no one will hire me, but I may just be uneducated on how to get hired...

I'd sell my soul to the devil to gain control over my life (one night I actually tried, Internet was out and I just lost it having no one to talk to, I tried to summon any spirits that may be out there to come to me, I got no visits from the devil or any spirits, maybe because none of them exist).

I gave up on trying to contact God long ago. Figured Satan might be the one to help. I know this probably makes me sound like a complete psycho, but keep in mind, being physically/socially isolated for long, does turn you delusional actually...

One day (when I was still at home way out in the woods, many miles from literally anything) I got super paranoid and actually BELIEVED that I was in a simulation or TV Show (yes I know there's a disorder named after the Truman Show) and was freaking the f*ck out. I was like who's doing this to me, please I've had enough, let me out of here! Why didn't I kill myself to get out of the virtual reality? Because I knew it might actually be real life (just like a small part of me is too willing to live and keep trying to succeed in life to let me kill myself) and then I'd be dead.

I've been struggling to tell if a memory was a dream, or real life, I think usually they're a dream. I still wake up screaming, sometimes threats, sometimes just screaming out of fear. I know, how odd for an almost 21 year old to still wake up screaming, that's little kid stuff.

I can't wait weeks or months to start making progress in life, I could MAYBE if I knew it was a guarantee, but I won't last a day without falling into a negative depressive mood. I have my highs, my lows, and sometimes my in betweens.......................... I'm many people in one body.......

I found I was most confident with people (specifically ladies!) when I was far from any of my family or anyone who knew who I was, I think that is the REAL me. When I came here he retracted back in like a scared turtle into it's shell. Not as bad as when I lived with immediate family, but I don't have anyone to see here anyway. (Note, single ladies don't exist here and like I said all people know everything and will DESTROY someone, Facebook and real life are directly linked here, and even on their own they act like immature idiots, that's not how adults are supposed to act, acting like or even more immature than their own children, SMH.

I am not good at making decisions either which is why I think I'd be perfect for retail. I mean I might know the best product for example and would tell them if they asked what I thought but in a general sense I would do what I'm told if it didn't require me to lie.
The millionaires secret is they are either good at deceiving or they've found their marketable talent. You have to find out what you excel at and you need to be able to sell it in a way that people will have no choice but to want you. That's the only way. I really struggle at the second part so I know it isn't easy.

I don't think it's too late for you. You're just close to being a legal adult so you have time but you won't if you give up. You have to keep going so you're right you can't wait so keep applying as hard as it is. I will say more on your other thread.

Last edited by Nickchick; 12-14-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I am not good at making decisions either which is why I think I'd be perfect for retail. I mean I might know the best product for example and would tell them if they asked what I thought but in a general sense I would do what I'm told if it didn't require me to lie.
The millionaires secret is they are either good at deceiving or they've found their marketable talent. You have to find out what you excel at and you need to be able to sell it in a way that people will have no choice but to want you. That's the only way. I really struggle at the second part so I know it isn't easy.

I don't think it's too late for you. You're just close to being a legal adult so you have time but you won't if you give up. You have to keep going so you're right you can't wait so keep applying as hard as it is. I will say more on your other thread.
18 is legal adult actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment