Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:22 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times

Advertisements

I've had this happen. Salaried full-time employee of a very small (less than 20 people) engineering services company. I had just come back from maternity leave and didn't have any PTO (paid time off) saved up, so I planned to work every day that we didn't explicitly get off as a holiday (Christmas Day and New Years Day). I showed up to the office on Christmas Eve, and was told to go back home until Jan 2. The owners decided they wanted to go on vacation, so they were closing the office, with no pay unless you used PTO hours.

I don't work there anymore

Old 12-28-2016, 03:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm not a contract worker. I'd expect this if I were but I'm not. I don't think it's right to treat full-time, salaried employees this way.
That means you are Salaried non-exempt employee who qualifies for over-time but only paid for the amount of work days that you worked.

If you are exempt then the have to pay you based on pay periods instead of days worked. I suggest you go look up your employment status.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Whoa, back it down. I failed to give a pronoun reference, and you misunderstood me. The resentment referred to the time off, not spending time with family. We often travel at the end of December to see extended family, so the company shut down is convenient for us. I am not attempting to pick a fight with you, just share a different perspective on the matter.
The bottom line is it should be a choice. If someone wants the entire week off, they can choose to use their vacation time. Not everyone has extended family to visit and having too much time off while everyone else is making merry shines a spotlight on their lonely lives. For those people, work provides a welcome distraction. In any event, if a company does decide to shutdown for the week, it should be paid.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That means you are Salaried non-exempt employee who qualifies for over-time but only paid for the amount of work days that you worked.

If you are exempt then the have to pay you based on pay periods instead of days worked. I suggest you go look up your employment status.

The FLSA applies only to employers whose annual sales total $500,000 or more or who are engaged in interstate commerce. If the company is small enough (as mine was), then FLSA may not apply.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I'm well aware of my employment status.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
The bottom line is it should be a choice. If someone wants the entire week off, they can choose to use their vacation time. Not everyone has extended family to visit and having too much time off while everyone else is making merry shines a spotlight on their lonely lives. For those people, work provides a welcome distraction. In any event, if a company does decide to shutdown for the week, it should be paid.
I disagree. Companies typically don't just spring this on unsuspecting employees. It was all there in black & white when you signed on the dotted line accepting the job. Sorry to be blunt, but if you did not understand, then that is on you. Despite what you want to believe, this is not uncommon in the corporate world. Companies are trying to avoid carrying unused vacation as a liability into the new tax year. Your company's board of directors does not care whether or not it shines a spotlight on your lonely holiday and neither does Wall Street.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The FLSA applies only to employers whose annual sales total $500,000 or more or who are engaged in interstate commerce. If the company is small enough (as mine was), then FLSA may not apply.
Yes, I know now how badly small companies can get away with treating their employees! Needless to say, I'm only applying to much larger companies right now! This is the first and last time I'll ever work for a small company. Lesson learned.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Yes, I know now how badly small companies can get away with treating their employees! Needless to say, I'm only applying to much larger companies right now! This is the first and last time I'll ever work for a small company. Lesson learned.
Well then you're in for a bit of a shock when you find out that large companies do this, too. Lockheed shuts down between Christmas and New Years and employs ~100k people.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well then you're in for a bit of a shock when you find out that large companies do this, too. Lockheed shuts down between Christmas and New Years and employs well over 100k people.

Large companies that are required to comply with FLSA tell you when you are hired that they shut down for the holidays, so that you can plan for it. Very small companies that are not required to comply with FLSA can just surprise you with it on Christmas Eve and there's nothing you can do about it. That's the difference.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Companies typically don't just spring this on unsuspecting employees. It was all there in black & white when you signed on the dotted line accepting the job. Sorry to be blunt, but if you did not understand, then that is on you. Despite what you want to believe, this is not uncommon in the corporate world. Companies are trying to avoid carrying unused vacation as a liability into the new tax year. Your company's board of directors does not care whether or not it shines a spotlight on your lonely holiday and neither does Wall Street.
I never said my holidays were lonely. This is just a sucky, small company that's cheap. Anyway, in a way I'm actually glad because everything about the job and the company sucks. Not that I owed them anything anyway but this is all going to make it very easy to leave. I already have interviews lined up for January so hopefully this stupidity will be over soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment