Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 PM

1,281 posts, read 780,987 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,101,974 times
I typically leave little or no gap. I end one job on a Friday and start the next job on the following Monday.

I once ended a job on a Tuesday, and started the next job on a Wednesday. That was a bit weird.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 AM

12,334 posts, read 17,190,293 times
Its good to have a little gap if you can. One time I worked a 10 hour day Sunday at a long term job, started a new one Monday at 7 AM. Its a bit of a grind.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,324,214 times
I've done both - and it's all determined by expenses. If I have enough cash reserve that I can handle a week with no pay, then I take a week off in between. If I cannot afford a week of no pay, I don't take the week off.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,394,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
I like to have a gap to relax and re-set. Of course, it was easier to do this when most companies would still A.) pay you for accrued vacation time and B.) let you roll over PTO year to year.

My current company does neither.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM

22,713 posts, read 47,929,183 times
Most people I know take at least one week. Some take several weeks as they need to relocate.

One guy I know took eight months... because he could. Severance + accrued vacation + unused PTO + unemployment paid the bills.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,817,397 times
I usually freelance on an hourly rate and then start 2-3 weeks after signing the paperwork.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:08 AM

6,599 posts, read 11,343,059 times
Done both. My last transition - it was immediate. Last day was on a Thursday too. So my first day at the new job was on Friday. I did that mainly to get through the new employee orientation so I can hit the ground running on the following Monday.

I've also taken as much as five weeks between jobs as the transition happened over the summer, and I wanted to do some traveling.

Whatever works for you....

Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,825,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post

Well, depends on how much I have in the bank really. When I went from one job to Walmart, they delayed training for a week. So I went to the coast for the week...Otherwise I try and time it to the last day of the week for quit and start new job at the first week.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:00 PM

255 posts, read 200,927 times
If I can afford it, I always try to take a week off in between. It helps to recharge the batteries and refocus on the next job. That's why I always try to bank a couple weeks of PTO. In the event that I quit, I will have some extra cash on hand to afford some time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment