Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times

Advertisements

Last job change we had, my husband finished his job on Friday and started the new one on Monday. He needed to start right away and we had relocated for the position. He used all of his vacation for our move. They didn't know when we were moving that he was leaving. He came back from vacation and gave his 2 weeks. He did NOT have a relaxing vacation....moving 800 miles, buying a house, and selling a house at the same time is STRESSFUL! Add in a new job and he couldn't wait for the holidays so he would have some days off. If one can afford it, definitely take a few days in between especially since you don't usually start with vacation and can't take any for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 07:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,250,392 times
having a gap is always nice between jobs. Even better if you can start on a weds or thurs so you can get your bearings and take 2 days off to let it soak in without getting overwhelmed.

I quit my last job and took 2 months off to apply for a new one at my leisure and found one very quickly.

the new place needed me start right away. I thought they would need me to start at the beginning of the pay period but the new place had me start 1/2 way through an existing pay period.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:51 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
I take a gap of a week or two, and I also tell the new employer about a planned trip within the first three months of the job whether it's planned or not.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:07 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
This isn't health insurance. Who puts exact dates on a resume or even an application for that matter. You took a week off because there were some pressing matters that needed to get done even if you spend most of that time on the beach.

To use the dates from your example tell them you won't be available until the thirtieth. You fully expect them to be a pain in the butt after you are employed but if they are before you are paid for it that could be a danger sign.

The only thing that you don't really want is a gap in is your health insurance. If you break an arm at the beach, that could be on your dime.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
having a gap is always nice between jobs. Even better if you can start on a weds or thurs so you can get your bearings and take 2 days off to let it soak in without getting overwhelmed.

I quit my last job and took 2 months off to apply for a new one at my leisure and found one very quickly.

the new place needed me start right away. I thought they would need me to start at the beginning of the pay period but the new place had me start 1/2 way through an existing pay period.
Be careful that stops happening in your fifties.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:22 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,939 times
It feels weird taking time out. I'd rather just jump straight into things.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:24 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
It feels weird taking time out. I'd rather just jump straight into things.
Because if you starting a new job right away you may not get a day off for 5 or 6 months. So that's why some people try to get a small break in between jobs.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:35 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Because if you starting a new job right away you may not get a day off for 5 or 6 months. So that's why some people try to get a small break in between jobs.
If you tell the new company straight up at the beginning that you have a vacation planned, then you can take a short break after a couple of months.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Lightbulb Take a real multi-week vacation if you can swing it.

When my previous employer had a round of "buyout" layoffs (full severance, including benefits extension), I took a 5 week vacation on another continent, during which I attended two multi-day industry-related conferences. For my field in particular (and American employers in general), it is rare to be able to take more than 2 consecutive weeks off, so I figured it was my one chance to really spend substantial time out of the country.

As it happens, I got a job offer the day before I flew out, negotiated via email and faxed in my acceptance from a hotel. New job started the day after I returned to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
This isn't health insurance. Who puts exact dates on a resume or even an application for that matter. You took a week off because there were some pressing matters that needed to get done even if you spend most of that time on the beach.
Generally a job application or background check is going to ask for month and year, and if there's an obvious gap, there may be questions. The most detailed grilling you'll get on start and end dates would be the e-QIP/SSBI for Federal security clearance, that's the only time I was asked for exact dates.

I still maintain my own consulting company and am on the board of a couple of 501(c) non-profits, so I can always fill in any gaps by listing "Nonesuch, LLC" as my employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The only thing that you don't really want is a gap in is your health insurance. If you break an arm at the beach, that could be on your dime.
If you're traveling to another continent you'd usually want to buy travel health insurance anyway, including medical and evacuation coverage.

Travel insurance is expensive, but will cover a broken arm at phĂș quốc beach and the extra seat for your cast on the flight home.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 01-14-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 03:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I have always wanted to take more time but it doesn't seem to work. The last few jobs have had unlimited vacation which means you don't accrue any and there is nothing to pay out.

Last transition I took off about a week. I planned a weekend trip between. Last day was Thursday. Had a personal meeting in Friday afternoon. Flew out Friday. Came back home Monday. Started the following Monday. The week in between I slept in, cleaned up, did errands. It was good to recharge some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment